Thoughts on vegetables?

Options
I hate them. I try to eat them, but I hate them. What are your favorite vegetables and how do you cook them?

Replies

• soubriquette
    soubriquette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    try roasting them in olive oil, just toss them in enough oil to cover them (usually need less than a tablespoon) then pop them in the oven until done.

Different veges need differing times but anything can be cooked this way and tastes wonderful
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Boil, drain, season, then sauté them in a pat of butter. Or season them with bacon or ham (such as: cabbage with a slice of bacon). Chop them really fine, then cook them into something, like: mushrooms, spinach, and onions in omelets or pasta with red sauce. I made mock cheesy mashed potatoes with cauliflower tonight--delicious!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I try to eat them, but I hate them. What are your favorite vegetables and how do you cook them?

Baby carrots.
    Boil them and then lightly season with salt/pepper.

Maybe a little bit of light butter.

So good.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mix them in with other foods. For instance, when I go to Panda Express, I get steamed veggies instead of rice or chow mein then put my entrée of choice over the top. Yummy! Tonight I cooked salsa beef in the crockpot and then steamed veggies. Spooned the salsa and beef over the top of a bowl of veggies. Yum again!!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hate them, always have, always will. Nothing makes them taste better. Yes, I have the attitude of a 5-year-old. I have to hide them from myself in casseroles and soups.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Whether you bake the veg after coating with olive oil, or frying in butter, as a finishing touch, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. But use the real parmigiano reggiano (and not the questionable kraft beige powder that comes in a plastic can!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally dense. Eat em.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love them. spinach, brussel sprouts asparagus, kale, cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, green beans, turnips,beets etc. even as a kid i loved my veggies which my parents loved except on asparagus day because asparagus isnt exactly cheap and i was shoving 2-3 at a time into my piehole :laugh:

i prefer raw(depending on the veg) but sometimes steamed or sauteed.

eat them they are good for you. if you need to trick yourself into eating them why not just chug a v8? or use a food processor and add more veggie to stuff you do like?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally dense. Eat em.
    I love 'em, too. All kinds of 'em. Grilled, roasted, baked, steamed, stir-fried and raw.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    try roasting them in olive oil, just toss them in enough oil to cover them (usually need less than a tablespoon) then pop them in the oven until done.
    Different veges need differing times but anything can be cooked this way and tastes wonderful
    And ^^this^^ -- all sorts of veggies I never liked or didn't know, now taste so good this way. Minimal oil works best for me.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to hate veggies =)
    I started forcing myself to gobble spinach salads everyday, and now I crave them (a huge bowl of baby spinach topped with fresh strawberries and/or grapes, mm!). I also make a lot of smoothies and hide veggies in them - yesterday I had strawberries, mango, carrots and spinach with soymilk. It looks gross, but it's delicious.

For dinner tonight, I'm having a salad, a large sweet potato and a medley of carrots, green beans and craisins (lightly microwaved with a tiny bit of butter and salt). If you're really interested in upping your veggie intake, Google vegan blogs. Especially blogs that are geared towards kids - they tend to have really good ideas for sneaking in more produce.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat cherry tomatoes and snap peas dipped in ranch all the time. I love tomatoes so much. I agree with all the people that say to roast them. A little olive oil and whatever seasoning you want and it's great! It takes some experimentation but I think you will learn to love them!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    juice/blend them with some fruits to mask the flavor. It's what I sometimes do when I'm not in the mood...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I LOVE veggies in a slow cooker soup. Carrots and celery are the bee's knees.

Also, try green smoothies, and/or green juices. You can mix the veggies with enough fruit, and you don't even taste them going down.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    o.0 I love veg, steamed. in a massive pile XD that's dinner with some cottage cheese or cream cheese

edit: plus pepper and some cider vinegar if I want to get fancy. no butter, no salt. sod that noise.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    I'm from the South, and we boil most of our vegetables to death!

Personally, I love just about all veggies, but I've learned that you can kick up their flavor considerably with some basic ingredients. My favorite seasonings to add to carrots/green beans/etc are minced garlic or garlic powder, Mrs. Dash Table Blend, chicken or beef bouillon, and/or just a bit of butter or oil added to the liquid as they cook. Don't overcook them, of course, or it will just be mush!

Here's a great recipe for steamed broccoli that doesn't involve cheese sauce. ;)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zippy-broccoli

Mostly, just experiment with seasonings! Spices and herbs add negligible calories, if any, but they make a huge difference in flavor and palatability.
  • KiaraStill
    Options
    I like broccoli, cabbage boiled (it tastes sweet, even without rice), bread rolls with minced meat + vegetables and salsa sauce
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables and I only ever steam them and lightly butter and salt them. If I'm feeling really crazy, then I brush them with oil, use seasonings and then roast them.