Struggling to reach caloric goal!

Options
Hey guys, I am sturggling to reach my caloric goal for the day. Not because I have no time etc, it's because my body does not let me!
I am 5ft7, 94-96pounds.
My caloric goal for each day is 2,150 and my weight gain goal is 0.5pounds per week.
I feel as if I will get fat or over weight if I eat too many calories, I restrict myself to 1,550-1,700 calories a day.
Please help me ! :(

Replies

• AbidKhan99
    Options
    bump
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    More meals/eat more frequently and pre-log so you know ahead of time you're going to get in the right amount of calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am sturggling to reach my caloric goal for the day. Not because I have no time etc, it's because my body does not let me!
    I am 5ft7, 94-96pounds.
    My caloric goal for each day is 2,150 and my weight gain goal is 0.5pounds per week.
    I feel as if I will get fat or over weight if I eat too many calories, I restrict myself to 1,550-1,700 calories a day.
    Please help me ! :(

You are very underweight (BMI = 15). Getting fat or overweight is not what you should be worried about. You should be trying to gain weight (another 30 pounds would get you up to 19.6 BMI, still just slightly underweight). Try adding nuts, avocadoes, cheese, and full fat dairy products to your diet.
    It is not your "body" that isn't letting you reach your caloric goal for the day; it's your mind ("I feel as if I will get fat or over weight" is your mind talking, not your body.)
    Please seek some help from a doctor or other qualified medical professional in person. Untrained strangers on the Internet are not going to be able to do much to help you with what sounds like an unhealthy relationship with eating and possibly a distorted body image (of course, I could be wrong about that, because I'm just an untrained stranger on the Internet making a judgment from a single post).
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that you need to seek counceling to deal with your eating habits. This is sometthing no one here can help you with.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Ah thanks guys
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Try eating lots of nuts, avocado, and cheese. High in calories and delicious :).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not your 'body' that won't let you eat, its your mind and emotions. Part of being a healthy weight is doing the right thing for your body, cconsistently, NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT. For some, it's eating less, for you, it's eating more.
    If the problem persists and you absolutely cannot make the necessary changes, please, seek help. Professional help.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Thanks but, I dont think I will be able to access professional help due to my current positiion
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    bump
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks but, I dont think I will be able to access professional help due to my current positiion

Well, then go with the advice to eat more nuts, avocado, cheese, full fat dairy -- also chocolate, peanut butter and other nut butters. Put butter on your veggies.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    GOMAD. Drink a gallon of whole milk a day.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    I would love to haha
    is 1600 calories a day enough for me?
    im 5ft 7
    currently 6st 11pounds
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    start lifting weights. you will get hungrier. and put on weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I would love to haha
    is 1600 calories a day enough for me?
    im 5ft 7
    currently 6st 11pounds
    No. Eat 2100. You need to gain weight. If you don't, you may die. It's pretty important, I'd say.

You probably should be eating more. How did you come up with 2100?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You said you are struggling to reach your calories, and you restrict yourself.

Stop restricting yourself and maybe you won't have to struggle.

If this seems like too difficult a concept, please seek help because you have an already apparent abnormal fear of getting fat while you are already severely underweight. Stop telling yourself not to eat when you already know you need to.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

^WTH? That's the best advice you can offer? Maybe best not to bother.

I don't think anything anyone says can help the OP. The person is extremely underweight but doesn't want to eat enough in case they "get fat". I'd be more worried about all the health problems that eating disorders lead to.

Choosing to eat higher fat foods (from whole foods) will not only help increase your calories, it will help with improving the health of your entire body, including brain. Perhaps, like me, you will experience the complete resolution of your eating disorder just by changing WHAT you eat.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

NEVER do that, it will rot your teeth, the amount of natural occuring sugars in milk!

Up your protein intake, lower your simple carbs (fruit, sugar, bread)

Also yes to nuts, avocados etc.
  • dsmack123
    dsmack123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep trying to reach that goal, what a beautiful problem, but not in your case! Darn, you can eat dairy products and practically as much as you would like. The concept you 'have' to change in your head is the getting fat, there are obviously underlying issues that you need to seek out the advice of professionals. Praying for you!
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    A great idea would be to have a protein shake twice a day in the form of a smoothie, that will mean simple carbs but it will be balanced, try protein powder, frozen banana, oats and peanut butter with water. Great for you!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Try higher fat, higher calorie foods. Nuts, avocado, peanut butter. You won't have to eat as much to reach your goals but they are nice and calorie dense.