Low Carb High Fat Diet - can someone please help?

Options
2»

Replies

• oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi AlabasterVerve,

I've opened the diary. Many thanks :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That looks pretty great. I would strongly encourage you to use a digital scale to measure everything you eat. It doesn't look like you're doing that.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I started a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle (end of October 2013) and I am really loving it (lost about 2+ kilos so far ). I was 64.6 kilograms. There is one thing that is confusing me. I would really appreciate it if anyone else who is low carbing can help me please?

What is confusing me is the ratio of protein is stated as '1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day'.

I weigh 61.8 kilos and am 5 foot 2 inches.

Is anyone able to calculate for me how much protein I can have a day. I am calculating it at 61 grams of protein a day which doesn't seem to be enough!

Thanks so much :)

Protein - common recommendation is at least 0.91 g/lb/day (2 g/kg/day), of LBM, goal weight, or current weight. therefore as you weigh 61.8kg currently you would want about 124g of protein a day.

You have to take lbm, age, and activity level into account too.

Already mostly done. In fact, the common recommendation is already "more" than safe according to this:-

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    ...there is simply no empirically substantiated reason to think we need more than 0.82g/lb of protein per day.

"The only people that may actually need more protein than 0.82g/lb are people with unusually high levels of anabolic hormones. Androgen or growth hormone users definitely fall into this category, but I don’t exclude the possibility that some adolescents do too. If you reach peak testosterone production while still growing (in height), your unusually high levels of growth hormone and testosterone might increase your protein requirements. Or not. There’s no research to support it. Those rare individuals with amazing bodybuilding genetics could also qualify, but unless your father happens to be a silverback gorilla, you are most likely just like other humans in this regard".

So the OP has 0% body fat?

She's 62 kg. Probably around 25-30% bf, give or take. That gives about 42 kg lbm. That gives about 80 g protrin a day for 2g/kg lbm/day as you state.

That is not what I stated... I'll quote what I stated above again. I based my recommendation on current weight.
    Protein - common recommendation is at least 0.91 g/lb/day (2 g/kg/day), of LBM, goal weight, or current weight. therefore as you weigh 61.8kg currently you would want about 124g of protein a day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Indeed you did. But I say you have to take lbm and age and activity level into account

You chose the estimate which would be the most protein intake, suitable for a lean young male. I chose to use lbm and consider the fact that OP is a middle aged woman who is probably not an athlete. So she can get away with less protein just fine... But I kept the recommendation along established guidelines.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I based mine on the OP asking " how much protein I can have a day" and therefore opted for the max, I have no issue with your stating that "she can get away with less protein". :smile:

ETA clarify. (within the recommended guidelines, as you also said)
  • oneday987
    Options
    Hi jonnythan,,

Thanks. I actually do use a digital scale, but for today's diary I had to do a rough estimate as I am not at home at the moment. Where I say home made mayo, it is actually made at home using olive oil, lemon juice and dijon mustard, but I haven't been able to work out the nutritional value.

What worries me though is when I did the diary it told me that in 5 weeks I would gain weight, which is not what I want to do!! :) Help!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah 1700+ may be too many calories for you given your stats. Depends on your activity level though. And it's hard to say how accurate that number is if you're not weighing.

I suggest just logging as consistently as possible AMD trying to keep it under 1500 if you're not very active. If you're not losing over time you may have to shoot a little lower.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I tried this method LCHF, and gained 12 lbs in just under 2 months. I understand the science behind it so wondering if someone has some practical info for me to apply. I obviously went very wrong somewhere.
  • oneday987
    Options
    Thanks AlabasterVerve, jonnythan and everyone else.

I'll keep on weighing and filling in my diary and maybe get you guys to have a look at it in another week or so. Or, feel free to jump in if you think I'm am on the wrong track :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Hi AlabasterVerve,

I've opened the diary. Many thanks :)
    gamgam, I think you're doing brilliantly. Lots of whole foods, plenty of vegetables and your ratios look good including your protein -- and your food looks delicious to boot! I don't think you need to change a thing especially since you're happy with the results. I wouldn't be worried about your calorie count regardless of what MFP suggests as long as you continue to lose weight like you have been. Keep eating until you're satisfied like the diet suggests -- if you find the weight loss stalls or you're gaining weight that's when you would need to be concerned about the number of calories you're eating.

I've been eating this way for a little over a year now and allow my carbs to be a touch higher now (20g - 50g usually) which means I can include some fruit/berries now and so I can cook with as much spice, garlic, onions etc. as I'd like. I still feel great with a few more carbs so don't be afraid to experiment later if you'd like to include more fruits and vegetables. Best wishes. :smile:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I tried this method LCHF, and gained 12 lbs in just under 2 months. I understand the science behind it so wondering if someone has some practical info for me to apply. I obviously went very wrong somewhere.
    The Diet Doctor has great guidelines for LCHF eating including a section on how to lose weight for those who are having problems. If you liked the diet and felt good eating it perhaps something there will help.

There's also nothing wrong with counting your calories while eating a LCHF diet either -- I know a lot of people still have to in order to get down to as low a weight as they'd like to.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks Alabaster ... so I can understand - can you explain how many grams would be in my 200 gram steak to put it into perspective ... would it be 20 grams?

This will be helpful. I was trying to figure this out as well and I did some research and came upon this site and I printed it out. It's better than guessing.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/protein-chart.html

200 grams of steak is 7 oz. Each ounce of steak is 8 grams of protein, therefore 200 grams (7 oz) of steak is approx. 56 grams of protein.

There ya go!
  • oneday987
    Options
    Thanks chirosche,

I'll have a look at the link.

It's interesting - I think I will have to cut down on some of my protein intake. I just did my food diary for tomorrow and by cutting down the amount of protein I will be having for lunch and dinner my predicted weight loss was greatly reduced.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    try 1g per pound you weigh

Now I'm confused... one g of protein per pound is significantly more than one g of protein per kg. I'm 65 kg=65 g protein per day, but in pounds that is 145= 145 g protein per day. Which is recommended maintaining muscle whilst losing weight?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    OP here is the formula...

Macronutrient goals should really not be based on percentages, but on grams which vary depending on your size and activity levels.

We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

At a very low body fat percentage or with highly intensive workouts a slightly higher amount of protein is recommended.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

When you have determined the minimum grams of protein and fat, you can calculate the corresponding percentages based on your calorie target to input into MFP. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. Note that MFP only allows 5% increments so you will need to pick the one nearest your desired target.

For example, say someone is 150 lbs with a BF% of 20% on a 2,000 calorie target. Note, a 20% body fat means that someone has a 80% lean body mass (LBM) as LBM is everything except fat (muscle, water, organs, tissue, etc). Their macros in grams would be:

Protein: 1 x 150 x 0.8 (LBM) = 120g x 4 calories = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%

To change the MFP settings go to My Home -> Goals-> Change Goals-> click Customize and update the macros.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • oneday987
    Options
    Hi AlabasterVerve,

I spoke with you yesterday and you were very helpful.

I was wondering whether you can give me some advice as to how, or whether someone can help me with, working out my macros.

I started putting the information in the food diary and it is really confusing me. It has only given me 1200 calories. Before I started the diary with MFP, I was keeping a record of my food on FatSecret and was using up to 1600-1700 calories and losing weight. Now my diary is telling me that I will basically be gaining weight and putting on all the kilos I have lost.

HELP please ... I am getting really frustrated. All I want to do is to know how much I can eat in the way of fat/protein/carbs for my individual body so I can get on with what I want to do. I was really happy with what I was doing before, but now I am really confused. I would like to stay on this site as it is so friendly and also the food information is so up to date and Aussie friendly.

Please feel free to check out my diary page as it has the most up to date info on my intended food intake for today.

Hope I hear back from with you with some helpful information.

Thanks so much and cheers :)