hungry at 1280 calories. what should i do?

Options
2»

Replies

• DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you want to lose half a pound or five pounds? Someone above mentioned eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training instead, which I think is great advice. Body weight should be fine, and if your goal is a flat stomach maybe go for the crunches and suchlike that target that area (don't neglect the other areas though). Just because you reach your goal weight doesn't mean that you won't be flabby in some areas, if you're pretty much at goal already and you want to tone up then it's the exercise you need to focus on.

Have a look on youtube for some exercise videos that you can do for free at home. I'm a fan of the Tai Bo ones, which are on there in full.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you want to lose half a pound? Someone above mentioned eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training instead, which I think is great advice. Body weight should be fine, and if your goal is a flat stomach maybe go for the crunches and suchlike that target that area (don't neglect the other areas though). Just because you reach your goal weight doesn't mean that you won't be flabby in some areas, if you're pretty much at goal already and you want to tone up then it's the exercise you need to focus on.

Have a look on youtube for some exercise videos that you can do for free at home. I'm a fan of the Tai Bo ones, which are on there in full.

I think she meant she chose the .5lb/week option when setting up MFP and it gave her 1280 as her base.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There are two main triggers of hunger. Neither of these have to do with tissue loss. I have no idea where that came from.

Hunger can be triggered by psychological and physiological factors. Many people believe it is caused by contractions of the stomach or the stomach being empty. Many others believe it is related to lowered levels of blood glucose.

Some studies suggest that the hormone ghrelin is responsible for overeating.

Either way, what you need to know is that psychological and physiological triggers exist. So at times you may actually be hungry, and other times you may be hungry as a result of the habits you have formed over time.

You need to make sure you fill yourself up on food that takes longer to digest, in turn keeping you satisfied longer. Complex carbs and protein will do the trick.

Chicken, veggies, and other forms of complex carbohydrates and protein will keep you satisfied longer and help you get over those hunger pangs.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you want to lose half a pound? Someone above mentioned eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training instead, which I think is great advice. Body weight should be fine, and if your goal is a flat stomach maybe go for the crunches and suchlike that target that area (don't neglect the other areas though). Just because you reach your goal weight doesn't mean that you won't be flabby in some areas, if you're pretty much at goal already and you want to tone up then it's the exercise you need to focus on.

I think she meant she chose the .5lb/week option when setting up MFP and it gave her 1280 as her base.

That makes more sense. I couldn't work out if she meant 1/2 a pound or 5 pounds.
  • ReligiousFitness
    ReligiousFitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The more cardio you can do throughout the day, the more calories it will allow you to intake while still losing the weight. I suggest a morning cardio session to start your day. This way automatically off the bat you will increase possible caloric intake for the day!
  • 73Laine
    73Laine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    30 day shred will help tone u, or ripped in 30. Jillian Michael's. Search youtube for the workouts free. I have the dvd of 30 day shred. Very challenging.
  • mylife4eva
    Options
    wow thanks everyone for all your feedback!!! i just got great tips and advice and now i will def start putting those to work!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat the amount I want to eat and exercise to create a deficit, and I am losing weight this way. Granted, if I wanted to eat 5000 calories, this would not work because I would not be able to exercise that much per day, but my estimate of what I'm doing is eating about 2000 and burning about 600, which makes a net of 1400, which is what MFP says I should be eating to lose a pound a week, and I'm usually on track with that rate of weight loss, so I must be approximately doing it right.