newbie needing help with a journey

Options
Hey just thought i'd joinin and look for support

Just to let you know my goal is to lose weight and tone up but I really am struggling

Im 5ft6 and weigh 155lbs. My goal weight is 120lbs. I recently got down to 147 but had one of my usual "treat days" that turned into a month. :-(

I think im doing ok with my exercise. im doing two days of 30 day shred and 3 days of my running programme.

I just need alot of meal ideas.
Im currently eating 1300 calories. Im havin three protein shakes a day porridge for breakfast an tea.

If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated
I need a weight loss buddy someone who is on same journey I can talk to so I can keep on the track amd do this weight loss journey once and for all
Thanks

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I just need alot of meal ideas.
    Im currently eating 1300 calories. Im havin three protein shakes a day porridge for breakfast an tea.

Eat real food, and you can probably eat a bit more than 1300 to avoid binges.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    You are at a reasonable weight already. The rest of the weight you wan to lose will be slow.

Set your goals to "Lose 1/2 lb per week."

It will tell you to eat much more than 1300 cals a day, so do so.

Add back and eat the additional calories earned by exercise, that's how this site is designed to be used.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating meals instead of protein shakes.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating meals instead of protein shakes.

Eat food. Eat vegetables, for heaven's sake! Why are you punishing your body like this?!
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    TRUST ME: U must eat to lose. Especially if U want to do it HEALTHY STYLE. The plan you are on is NOT HEALTHY FOR YOUR BODY OR MIND. When and IF U ever get to your target weight (with your plan) you will be sooooo tired of those drinks you will eat yourself into oblivion and THAT WILL BREAK YOUR HEART.

Make Healthy choices. Some one suggested you eat regular food, then exercise to use the calories. WISE. DO IT. TRUST THE PROCESS.

I used to be 400 lbs.... and I ate to drop down to 239 now. I am losing 2 lbs per week - SAFELY. You owe it to yourself to take really good care of your body and NOT shock it, or do the Yoyo thing.

Lifestyle beats Diet - 24/7 365! Embrace food..... it will serve you well. (((HUGGZ)))

Here's to MUCH SUCCESS and EXCELLENT DECISIONS!!!!! PLUS DELICIOUS CHOICES!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
  • Stephybaby89
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying.

I know I must eat to lose but when I stopped losing weight people suggested protein shakes to help lose the weight an then I got told as I ate a sandwich daily for lunch to cut that out for the carbs. so it kind of replaced the sandwich without me realising.

Is exercise enough as well? I don't know what I burn with my exercise dvd but with my run I burn 400cals or over
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are generally used to supplement protein intake when getting protein from food is difficult. That's why bodybuilders use protein shakes. Eating 180 grams of protein from chicken breasts gets old.

You really want to take the advice given so far, stop drinking three protein shakes per day and get the majority of your protein intake from actual food.

Your exercise routine is good enough.

Generally, you should get about 2 & 1/2 hours of cardio per week and for beginners get 3 full body workouts per week. Again, this is very general advice. Everybody is different.
  • ReligiousFitness
    ReligiousFitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    for sure i would replace some of the protein shakes with lean meats such as fish or chicken. Especially fish is high in protein without a lot of calories. Plus whole real foods will stick with you longer through out the day. Also, a great low calorie options to fill up without consuming a lot of calories is to eat more vegetables! They are so filling and some like broccoli contain so many great benefits and not many calories! Protein shakes are good for after workouts, but don't use them as meals. You will lack so many nutrients that are essential for healthy weight loss.
  • Stephybaby89
    Options
    Yeah I eat a lot of baked fish for my tea.

Ill eat more meals an cut the shakes down

Thanks for the help anyone.

Another question, is bread as bad as everyone makes out or is it ok for lunch befpre your workout
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently 'bad'. Bread is not bad (unless you are gluten intolerant). As with anything, eating heaps of it is not great, but a couple of slices of bread in a day is not going to break you. Probably best to choose grainy bread, or something with a bit more substance than just a plain white loaf but even these aren't going to mess you up if that's what you like. Of course, the things you put on the bread are going to make a difference too :)

For most people, a calorie deficit is all that's required to lose weight and it really doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are in a deficit.

EDIT: and yes, including carbs before a workout is quite helpful for energy levels.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bread is just like anything else, find in moderation and when compared to your other carb intake.

Bread isn't bad....bread and pizza and cheese and a doughnut is bad.

I'm sure you get what I am saying. Eat the bread...log it...and you'll be just fine.
  • BekaP89
    BekaP89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah I eat a lot of baked fish for my tea.

Ill eat more meals an cut the shakes down

Thanks for the help anyone.

Another question, is bread as bad as everyone makes out or is it ok for lunch befpre your workout

Eat 100% whole breads instead of white bread and make sure is says 100% whole wheat or 100% whole wheat white bread, there is nothing wrong with bread as long as you limit yourself to it and eat the right kind
  • ReligiousFitness
    ReligiousFitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I mean bread isn't great when consumed in large amount but its not going to keep you from losing weight. I would suggest anything you would like to eat bread, make it wheat over white bread. I ate bagels everyday and often times more than once a day this whole past summer and lost 27 lbs, you should be good to eat bread just make sure to add it under your food on this site.
  • Stephybaby89
    Options
    Thank you everyone im going food shopping and I wont be as terrified now!

Ill make sure I log everything including slip ups

When im home i dont eat bread for lunch ill choose soup or somethig but when im at work its a quick sandwich and back at it!

Im sorry for all the questions but heres another one lol
    I always try to eat foods with less than 5g of fat per 100g.. is there anything else I should be looking for on the label

Sorry to badger you all and thanks in advance