Healthy Chocolate substitute?

Options
I have lost about 18 kg (about 40 pounds):happy: but nothing in the last 6 months:cry: , I do a lot of exercise which allows me quite a nice diet but I still sneak the odd chocolate bar or biscuit now and again:embarassed: . My kids all all very slim so not having treats in the house is not an option as it would be unfair to deprive them. I was after a few ideas as to healthy snacks I could have at hand for when the huger pains kick in that would be a whole lot better than reaching for the biscuit barrel.

Replies

• irfanshah32
    irfanshah32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dates and fruit yogurts work me
  • _sam125
    _sam125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    in terms of chocolate substitutes, you should get adora disks, theyre calcium supplements in little chocolate disks, come in dark and milk chocolate. and theyre only like 35 cals each but taste just like regular chocolate :)
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Maybe a sugar-free fudgsicle would calm the chocolate craving? Or, have a fiber one bar with chocolate that could add extra fiber in the process. If you have a craving for chocolate, then nothing but chocolate will calm that craving. I've heard, though, that procrastination can help. What I mean by that is if you feel the craving, tell yourself if you still have the craving in an hour, for instance, that you will have said amount of chocolate. Sometimes, if you distract yourself, the craving goes away, or you will forget about it. If not, then have a small piece.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for chocolate. Just eat better quality chocolate and less of it.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for skinny chocolate...
    http://www.thebluehouseblog.com/2013/02/trim-healthy-mama-skinny-chocolate.html?m=1
    It's actually really yummy. I like to add slivered almonds and coconut flakes... tastes like Almond Joy. :happy:
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about eating chocolate. Everything is fine in the right portions, and there are even several studies saying chocolate is GOOD for you. You can however switch to dark chocolate witch gives more benefits with less sugar. My personal favorite treat is Andes mints, they have only 25 calories each!

If you are looking for healthy snacks tho, fruit is always a good option. Also, Jello will fill a sweet tooth with less calories and I've found jello is good for my nails and hair. Oatmeal is pretty low calorie too, getting the flavored ones (like apples and cinnamon) hits a sweet spot too. You could also go with Chocolate milk, its high calorie but also very good for you or some juice.

While its not necessarily healthy; There is also sugar free ice cream, My husband and I love getting the vanilla and adding fresh fruit to it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing about chocolate is unhealthy. If you're worried about sugar for some reason, just opt for darker varieties of chocolate.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for chocolate. Just eat better quality chocolate and less of it.

+1
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    in terms of chocolate substitutes, you should get adora disks, theyre calcium supplements in little chocolate disks, come in dark and milk chocolate. and theyre only like 35 cals each but taste just like regular chocolate :)

In just to remember to look these up later on. I've never heard of them.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

Yep
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I've been making a huge glass of chocolate milk using 2 cups of Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Milk(60 cal) and 2 tbsp. Hershey's Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa(20cal) and 1-2 tbsp. of Stevia(0cal). Blend it in the blender to mix it really well! I usually make it in advance to give the flavors extra time to blend. Thick and chocolatey! Yum!
    Also, Hershey Kisses are about 20 cals each...even the caramel filled and mint truffle ones!
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nothing about chocolate is unhealthy. If you're worried about sugar for some reason, just opt for darker varieties of chocolate.

sometimes the darker varieties have MORE sugar to compensate for the bitterness.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 18 kg (about 40 pounds):happy: but nothing in the last 6 months:cry: , I do a lot of exercise which allows me quite a nice diet but I still sneak the odd chocolate bar or biscuit now and again:embarassed: . My kids all all very slim so not having treats in the house is not an option as it would be unfair to deprive them. I was after a few ideas as to healthy snacks I could have at hand for when the huger pains kick in that would be a whole lot better than reaching for the biscuit barrel.

why do you think chocolate is "unhealthy"?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-7862-1364571321-1.gif

Magic Chocolate, just one square a day and it never runs out.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Chocolate isn't unhealthy. Go for darker if you want more nutrients (it's a decent source of several minerals) and/or less sugar, and eat it in appropriate quantities. Works for me. :smile:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Melt it into some kale.

;)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Organic cacao powder, raw honey, coconut oil or cacao butter and you got your own healthy chocolate, you can even add some raw nuts to it like pecans or hazelnuts. Anything above 70% pure is not that unhealthy either and there are organic options :wink:
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I tried a thing I found which ended up tasting pretty good and sorted my choco craving..

1 avocado
    1 tbsp of cocoa
    2 tbspo of maple syrup

blend it and wahla! chocolate mouse :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Melt it into some kale.

;)

Or cauliflower