If "starvation mode" is a myth...

Options
then why does MFP say THIS if you don't hit 1200 calories:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.

*Que controversy

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not a myth per se. Your body goes into starvation mode when your fat stores have been used up and your body begins to eat essential tissue.

You aren't going into starvation mode at 30% body fat. I don't even believe it slows down your metabolism. I have lost a substantial amount of weight on low calorie diets.

I am not saying it's recommended, but some of that information is either wrong or not applicable to everyone.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Not so much as a myth as misunderstood...and "starvation mode" probably isn't the best term to use as it tends to cause confusion.

Read here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm just being a troublemaker ;) ^a good read though
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Because that message fuels about half the confusion here and keeps people (a) discussing it and (b) dieting. Both = good for MFP the business.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    While everyone is different, I have done low calorie 1800 to 2000 and lost small amounts, ounces, and eaten healthy at 2500-2800 and lost lbs. It is a trade off. The point is trying to eat NOTHING while exercising is not necessarily going to drop major pounds, as your body, metabolism and other factors all come into play.

I think the word starvation is used mainly because people have a better idea what you mean the second you hear it. You are not eating enough. To say Metabolism Diet or eating leaves to much play in what you are saying, people do not instantly understand what you are saying.
  • Meghansnana
    Options
    Hwoeltjen -

Excellent post and thank you! (I definitely needed to hear it) that line on MFP Has bothered me and scared me since I started using this app. I certainly do not want to stop the loses!
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I will say this though. You really need to pay attention to your body. If you are on a low calorie diet...and you feel like crap at the gym...up your calorie intake.

You don't want to continue a low calorie diet when you feel like a zombie. That's your body telling you something.

Another note, I always try to hit my macros. This sometimes brings me a little over my recommended calorie intake....and that's just fine by me.

I don't recommend that you run a huge deficit 7 days a week. You really cannot expect to maintain that sort of diet.

You may see consistent weight loss, but you also run the risk of losing muscle tissue.

So again, you really need to maintain a healthy deficit. It really depends on your body.

If MFP is telling you that your calorie intake is too low...try evaluating your diet to be safe. Don't expect to have great results on a 900 calorie diet. Your brain uses about 20% of your total energy just to function.