Hello I'm new and I have a question

Options
I'm new! I'm in the US Air Force. I'm about to turn 26 in Jan, my metabolism has slowed down quite a bit. I'm also struggling to learn how to cook decentrelatively healthy meals.

I set up my goal to shed 30 pounds over an extended period of time... but day 2 (Today) I ate and apple and two PB&J sandwichs and it says I'm already over my sugar limit. I've barely eatten anything though! I'm not so sure if what I am entering is accurate.

Replies

• Don't worry about sugar, it's for added sugar, like in your tea or chocolate, not fruit sugar, but mfp doesn't distinguish between the two. I don't even track sugar, just carbs, protein fat and fibre (and cals obviously) :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm new! I'm in the US Air Force. I'm about to turn 26 in Jan, my metabolism has slowed down quite a bit. I'm also struggling to learn how to cook decentrelatively healthy meals.

I set up my goal to shed 30 pounds over an extended period of time... but day 2 (Today) I ate and apple and two PB&J sandwichs and it says I'm already over my sugar limit. I've barely eatten anything though! I'm not so sure if what I am entering is accurate.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar guidelines on here. Just make sure your daily calorie deficit isn't too large and you get enough protein. Do some kind of regular exercise. That's all there is to it really.

Just get it so that you are hitting your calorie goals consistently to start with. Then when that has become a routine and happens without you thinking too hard about it (it takes a while to become a habit) then you can worry about the macro-nutrient composition of your diet.

Just get rolling for now - it just takes some dedication and a bucket-load of patience. You'll get there if you are consistent: don't sweat the small stuff!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY watch your sugar. It should be 10 percent of your calories. If you do you will lose ALL your weight!!!!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar either. I watch my protein, fat, carbs, sodium, and fiber mainly.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY watch your sugar. It should be 10 percent of your calories. If you do you will lose ALL your weight!!!!

Completely incorrect but that's what this poster always focuses on.

It's the total calories not the sugarz.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Nonsense.

Unless you have a medical condition then if you are tracking carbs there is no need to track sugar as well.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

OP Please Do Not Listen to this Advice.... If you are eating a balanced diet and hitting your caloric intake and set macros then you do not need to track sugar. I would replace the sugar tracker with fiber and pay attention to that.. I have a medical condition (Type 2 diabetic diagnosed in 2009) and I have never tracked a single gram of sugar and have lost 300+ lbs. and my A1c average 5.3 now. I watch my Carb intake as well as Proteins, and Fats and track Fiber.... Best of Luck
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

ALL of my weight? Will I float away?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Go away.

OP, don't worry about the sugar in your apples and other fruits.

Thank you for your service =]
  • ReligiousFitness
    ReligiousFitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be any reason to but only eating that little amount. Also, you really shouldn't be over the sugar limit according to what you posted. If i were you i would go back and check all the data on yourself you entered and make sure it is right. But you do need to start eating more. Starvation is the worst was ever to lose weight! Hang in the brother