Hummus

Options
So I recently learned of the unfortunate news that hummus isn't always as good for you as I thought! :(
I'm a HUGE fan of the Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus, and the Chipotle flavor by Cedar's. Upon learning the nutritional information, I realized how many grams of fat I was taking in from the amount I was eating, from the oil used in the recipe. I was easily taking in 7-10g of fat, even though my calorie intake was still low.

Does anyone have any good recipes for homemade hummus or brands they can recommend that you can "cheat" with, without all the extra fat? I'm def looking to cut back, and I wouldn't mind so much if it was good fat (like in avocados), and not fat from oils.

Thanks! :D

Replies

• Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and its a bummer over the fat content! I am trying to come up with my own hummus, we will see how it goes!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    Generally there's about 2 tbsp of evoo for a recipe that makes 2 cups...........Personally I won't screw up a classic recipe for the sake of a few calories, but if you like go ahead and take some garbanzo beans and bland them add some lemon and garlic, don't add the tahini though, it has fat also. :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and its a bummer over the fat content! I am trying to come up with my own hummus, we will see how it goes!

Good luck!
    And seriously! I was surprised that it can pack 3-5+ grams of fat per two tablespoons. :(
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Generally there's about 2 tbsp of evoo for a recipe that makes 2 cups...........Personally I won't screw up a classic recipe for the sake of a few calories, but if you like go ahead and take some garbanzo beans and bland them add some lemon and garlic, don't add the tahini though, it has fat also. :smile:

Would you consider the tahini to be a good fat? I'm more concerned with the fat coming from the olive oil, since it can have a lot depending on the brand and type.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Wish I could write recipes but I cook with a pinch of this and a pinch of that lol

but this is as close to it as I can remember :)

15-ounce can chickpeas,( for smoother hummus remove the skins
    juice from 1 lemon
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup tahini ( skip if you worried about the fat )
    2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving( I guess u can omit it in your case)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 or 4 tablespoons water
    Dash of ground paprika

- I throw everything in my food processor and its done -
    - top it with some chili garlic sauce right before serving to give it a kick :) (found in any super market)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The fat in hummus is usually form tahini (sesame seed butter) and olive oil ... Both good fats ... Don't worry about it, if you're with in you calories, it's all good ...
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I been eating hummus about once a week without a problem with all the yummy oil in there :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options

Would you consider the tahini to be a good fat? I'm more concerned with the fat coming from the olive oil, since it can have a lot depending on the brand and type.
    Yes the fat from tahini is fine, but so is olive oil as are most unrefined oils.......
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

olive oil is olive oil .... Different types and brands have different flavor profiles, not caloric differences ... All are 120 kcals per TBSP (13g) ...
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make a black bean hummus with no oils or fats added. 1 can chickpeas, 1 can black beans, red pepper flakes and cumin to taste. The liquid portion for processing is about 1/3 of the liquid off the can of chickpeas. I rinse and drain the black beans. Serve with baked pita pieces, Just found a new flax and higher protein pita round that only has 60 calories per pita. I spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with garlic salt prior to crisping.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Wish I could write recipes but I cook with a pinch of this and a pinch of that lol

but this is as close to it as I can remember :)

15-ounce can chickpeas,( for smoother hummus remove the skins
    juice from 1 lemon
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup tahini ( skip if you worried about the fat )
    2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving( I guess u can omit it in your case)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 or 4 tablespoons water
    Dash of ground paprika

- I throw everything in my food processor and its done -
    - top it with some chili garlic sauce right before serving to give it a kick :) (found in any super market)

This sounds awesome! :love:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I make a black bean hummus with no oils or fats added. 1 can chickpeas, 1 can black beans, red pepper flakes and cumin to taste. The liquid portion for processing is about 1/3 of the liquid off the can of chickpeas. I rinse and drain the black beans. Serve with baked pita pieces, Just found a new flax and higher protein pita round that only has 60 calories per pita. I spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with garlic salt prior to crisping.

I absolutely love black beans, so this sounds like a great alternative to experiment with. Thank you very much!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So I recently learned of the unfortunate news that hummus isn't always as good for you as I thought! :(
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus, and the Chipotle flavor by Cedar's. Upon learning the nutritional information, I realized how many grams of fat I was taking in from the amount I was eating, from the oil used in the recipe. I was easily taking in 7-10g of fat, even though my calorie intake was still low.

Does anyone have any good recipes for homemade hummus or brands they can recommend that you can "cheat" with, without all the extra fat? I'm def looking to cut back, and I wouldn't mind so much if it was good fat (like in avocados), and not fat from oils.

What's wrong with fat?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-foods-by-eric-helms-588801

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746
  • missiontofitness
    Options

What's wrong with fat?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-foods-by-eric-helms-588801

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746

Wow, those were two really good articles. Thank you very much for that.
    I know there's nothing wrong with "fat" in certain cases, but I've been trying to reduce my oil intake, and watch out for the fats I am consuming. As tempting as eating 3-4 tablespoons of hummus may be, the amount of fat it depletes from my daily allotment surprises me. I try to eat it once or twice a day now as a snack or with a meal, but that's a pretty big dent in my daily allotment!
  • sabur
    sabur Posts: 13
    Options
    In the authentic recipe, the oil does not always go in, rather, it is drizzled on top with a sprinkle of paprika or left out completely. So just make your favorite recipe and emit the oil if it bothers you. It makes little to no difference. ;)

(all you need for some delicious hummus is tahini, chickpeas, lemon, and garlic. mess with the proportions till you like it!)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

olive oil is olive oil .... Different types and brands have different flavor profiles, not caloric differences ... All are 120 kcals per TBSP (13g) ...

^^This, exactly. If you're seeing differences on the nutrition labels, either it's fudging by the producers (presumably within the governmentally allowed range of error) or they're doing something weird, like blending it with something (and if it's the TOTAL fats that are different, they're blending them with something other than some other type of oil). Or maybe they're using different serving sizes?
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste exactly like hummus, but I do like making dips from chickpeas to use instead.

For instance:
    1 small can chickpeas
    1 portion of tinned pears, drained (about 70g drained weight)
    About 1 clove garlic, to taste
    Lemon juice, to taste (can use bout 1 tsp citric acid)

Like I said, it doesn't taste exactly like hummus, but I personally enjoy it and prefer it's nutritional information :smile:
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    OHH YESS.

I got this from a guy from Jordan who was our waiter in a Lebanese restaurant. He wouldn't give me the restaurant's recipe, but said "I'll give you my mom's - it's better!"

(Greek hummous uses less tahini and more garlic, and is chunkier. This is the middle eastern version)

Put one can of chickpeas in the blender, and half of the juice from the can also (save the rest of the juice).
    Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon (more or less depending on taste)
    Put in a chopped clove of garlic (more or less depending on taste)
    Put in 1/2 cup of tahini paste (sesame seed paste). (Note: make sure to thoroughly STIR your tahini before taking it from it's jar - it usually separates into a thick solid chunk in some goo - stir it all up and use it after it is uniform)
    Blend for a few seconds, then stir. Repeat until blended (the tahini paste is so thick, you got to stop and stir every few seconds, or you'll blow the motor on your blender! unless you have a better blender than I do)

You should almost be able to POUR this type of hummous - it should be thinner than the chunky Greek kind, but make it the consistency you like. Depending on what type of Tahini paste you use - some is thinner, some is thicker - I often have to add more of the juice from the chickpea can to thin it out to help it blend better. Otherwise sometimes the blender just goes "RRrr RRR" and won't blend. Adding chickpea juice fixes this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fat makes food delicious. take the fat out and all the sudden you have to add sugar.

If you are that worried about it- make your own. Fat isn't bad. it's great- it helps your brain run moar better.