Just Became Vegetarian

Options
Hi guys
recently i have made the decision to go vegetarian and eventually vegan (trying to not do it all at once) and was wondering what are some good healthy foods high in protein?
I try eat as clean as possible but if it came down to it to up my protein levels then i will eat something made from something thats not as clean as vegetables

Hope to get a reply soon :) thanks in advance

Replies

• wtelephant
    wtelephant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pulses, Dals , Chickpeas , Soya , Cheese, Quinoa, millets , bulgur , sprouts have good protein content. You can make various recipes with them. If you consume milk, cottage cheese thats good too.
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi Dazza!

It can be a challenge to get enough protein without too much saturated fat or sodium, but I promise it's possible. The link below shows protein levels for quite a few clean vegetarian foods.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

Getting my (minimum) 90 grams of protein every day requires milk, eggs, yoghurt, nuts/nut butter, green vegetables, soy-based meat substitutes, and a small protein bar. All of those things, every day. Sometimes I add some cheese, grains or pulses. You might find it easier to use a protein powder (they come in pea- and soy-based, for vegans) if your protein needs are higher than mine. The meat substitutes in particular tend to be higher in sodium than I'd prefer.

You might be interested in joining this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Good luck!
  • wtelephant
    wtelephant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Peanuts too.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Apart from all the veg someone already listed. All kinds of dairy (esp cottage cheese, quark and Greek yoghurt) and egg (whites). Also nutritional yeast or brewers yeast and all sorts of flours like chickpea or almond.

And my new favourite: homemade seitan!! Works like a meat substitute and can taste like anything you want it to!
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian sources: cottage cheese, quark, free-range eggs, skimmed milk, waxy Scandinavian cheese, low fat Greek yoghurt
    Vegan sources: soya beans, tofu, quinoa, soya milk, hulled hemp seeds, soya yoghurt.
    Also pea protein powder and hemp protein powder for protein shakes
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Greek yogurt, I have bread with protein (Ezekiel bread has 4 grams per slice, so make a sandwich and you've got 8!) Soymilk can be a good source and also beans (black, lentil, kidney)

I became a vegetarian many years ago, but I started out wrong, eating far too many carbs (not fruit or vegs---a lot of snack foods with minimal fruit/vegs a day). As a result, I always looked very bloated and binged a lot, it gave me a bad body image. Protein will make you feel good! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I will eat something made from something thats not as clean as vegetables

what does that even mean???

I totally wash my meat before cooking it- it's probably cleaner than my veggies.

And chocolate- too- but I don't wash that.
  • dazza_098
    dazza_098 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I totally wash my meat before cooking it- it's probably cleaner than my veggies.

i mean i eat clean as in natural foods unprocessed garbage stuff that would have been here before we evolved so in other words clean natural foods that if the cave man could find it then you eat it but when i said not as clean as vegetables i mean clean as in natural but if it meant to up my protein i would use meat substitutes even if an ingredient is a bad one but i will still try avoid that
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options

ahahahahahhahahahaha

/died
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

i mean i eat clean as in natural foods unprocessed garbage stuff that would have been here before we evolved so in other words clean natural foods that if the cave man could find it then you eat it but when i said not as clean as vegetables i mean clean as in natural but if it meant to up my protein i would use meat substitutes even if an ingredient is a bad one but i will still try avoid that

let me know how your grubbing goes... I personally don't care for grubs- but I hear they are an excellent source of protein. Also word to the wise- tubulars are notoriously difficult to get the dirt off of them.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    recently i have made the decision to go vegetarian and eventually vegan (trying to not do it all at once) and was wondering what are some good healthy foods high in protein?
    I try eat as clean as possible but if it came down to it to up my protein levels then i will eat something made from something thats not as clean as vegetables

Why did u all of a sudden decide to go vegan lol??!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Why did u all of a sudden decide to go vegan lol??!
    He probably heard how awesome it was.