Is it okay to go running in the rain?

Options

Replies

• xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yes, run in the rain, but only if you are stomping and splashing in the big puddles.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You guys make fun, but where do ya'll think puddles come from?

Runners with bad hair who have melted, that's where.

Read a book sheeple.

Seriously.

Ewwwww!

You mean I've been splashing in...

...PEOPLE?!!!??

Not people! Runners with bad hair. Pay attention.

Oh.

I keep forgetting that runners aren't people.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hence, ive started to run in the rain. However, I'm afraid of the repercussions it may bring, like will I develop a pneumonia over time? Is rainwater bad for my hair?? Etc!

Lamest attempt at a troll thread, ever.

Yes that's because it IS NOT a troll thread or I wouldn't be replying? And my mum told me to avoid running in the rain because she believes that it will make you fall ill and a couple of my friends said the same, that's why I'm asking. If anyone's a troll here, it would be you.
    This is a very old misconception with a small amount of truth to it. Going out when you're wet and it's cold will cause your immune system to weaken slightly, which might be enough to make you contract a cold or flu virus if you're already carrying it. It won't make you sick in and of itself. So unless you've recently been exposed to the cold viruses, you'll be fine.

I have yet to run in freezing rain, hail yes, drizzle yes and summer rain love it. Still after i cool down on a run on a cold day, I am freezing for hours afterwards. This is after being indoors, showering, eating/drinking something warm. The other day it was 14 degrees, my husband thought I was crazy for turning the thermostat up to 80 F. Add freezing rain to the cold, it does sound like a good way to get sick. Obviously some people no matter what never get sick, unfortunately I have never been in that group.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Add freezing rain to the cold, it does sound like a good way to get sick.

Neither freezing rain nor cold are viruses or bacteria. Not sure how these would lead to getting sick.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Add freezing rain to the cold, it does sound like a good way to get sick.

Neither freezing rain nor cold are viruses or bacteria. Not sure how these would lead to getting sick.

Yes, but it can lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to viruses and bacteria and let's not forget hypothermia if you aren't dressed properly.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain! It brings a new element to my run. Just prep properly, dress appropriately, and pay attention to the road.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I actually ended up running in the rain last week. The day after Thanksgiving I got dressed to run but it was coming down hard. I was at my sister's house so I didn't have any rain gear. I took everything off disappointed because I couldn't run. About 20 minutes later I heard it stop, looked outside, it still looked bad but thought "--ck it" I can at least get in three miles. I ended up doing a little over 5.5 because it was so nice and fresh out. However the rain started back up with a sprinkle around mile four. It was full on rain by mile five but it felt so good!

You should be fine as long you dress properly and watch where you're running.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said go (I can't tell you how many races I've done in the rain), but I'll offer one more bit of advice: newspaper in your sneakers afterwards to help them dry out faster. Enjoy your run!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe I just read this. Truth is...when it's raining...you burn no calories. None. It's a crazy phenomenon. True story. I heard it from a friend who knows a guy that says it's true.

Seriously?
    :noway:
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You guys make fun, but where do ya'll think puddles come from?

Runners with bad hair who have melted, that's where.

Read a book sheeple.

Seriously.

Ewwwww!

You mean I've been splashing in...

...PEOPLE?!!!??

Not people! Runners with bad hair. Pay attention.

Oh.

Don't feel bad. Common misconception.

I've been fighting it for years.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    when you run in the rain, no one can see you cry.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Oh.

kitty_boxing.gif

I dare you! I double dare you! Come here and say that to my face! I dare you!

:tongue:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    One should only workout outdoors when the weather is perfect. Your body knows when the weather sucks and will refuse to burn calories....true story!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Lately, the weather at my area has been going crazy, raining everyday at the time that I'm supposed to run - around the evening time. It's the only time I can exercise because I have school and all that.

Hence, ive started to run in the rain. However, I'm afraid of the repercussions it may bring, like will I develop a pneumonia over time? Is rainwater bad for my hair?? Etc!

What are your experiences with this?

It is fine to run in the rain, just don't sit around in wet clothes after your run, jump straight in the shower.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running in the rain it keeps you cool, sometimes I even find myself wishing for rain in the summer. One of my most enjoyable runs was on holiday in Cornwall it was 6.30am, raining, a little misty and a deer joined me on my run this was one of the highlights of that holiday. Of course I live in England so it rains a lot here. I once did a nine mile race in the sleet and hail the temperature was about 2 degrees Celsius that was no fun so it depends on the rain.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    On a serious note:
    - make sure you wear clothes that don't soak up too much water (i.e. a rain "proof" top layer and running leggings rather than jersey tracksuit bottoms)
    - you'll need to pay more attention to where you're going, wet leaves, manhole covers, etc can be super slippery. Oh and puddles that look shallow and turn out to be ankle deep SUCK. Avoid.
    - wear something reflective or at least bright colours so cars can see you
    - get out of your wet clothes as soon as you're home and make sure your trainers dry properly (give them a quick clean and stick in some dried up newspaper - don't use a hairdryer or put them on the radiator, too much heat can damage the material)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally do that. If it rains, if it's cold and windy and you sweat you are much more sensible to the temperature, and you could actually get a cold (it happens even if you get soaked while walking, obviously). Plus it might be hard to run on such a wet ground. Don't you have any other chance to workout?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally do that. If it rains, if it's cold and windy and you sweat you are much more sensible to the temperature, and you could actually get a cold (it happens even if you get soaked while walking, obviously). Plus it might be hard to run on such a wet ground. Don't you have any other chance to workout?
    Are you serious ?!! Getting cold does not give you a cold. Colds are caused by a virus
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    If it is my day to run, I run in the rain. During the spring and summer months, I enjoy it. A few years ago, I ran a half marathon in a cold 37 degree rain wearing a trash bag with a cut out for my head. The only issue that I have had is with my shoes drying out afterwards. So I place them on the floor vent in the laundry room upside down as soon as I get home. Problem solved.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

no no no it has nothing to do with the getting wet you actually get cold... it's because we are all made of sugar and spice... therefore we get wet- we melt.... edit- dissolve.... we dissolve.

get out of here with that rubbish. totally unscientific at all.