Cholesterol: Should I eat the whole egg or just the whites?

Replies

• GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    I do eat the eggs and the yolk, I just get freaked out because of the cholesterol macro in my diary. I may just take it off, I hate seeing it red. Plus, my cholesterol is good.

I was at 975 back in October 2010. October 2013, I'm at 121 and no longer taking any meds.

So, given your problem in the past that could lead to heart disease and stroke, the better question would be:

How much cholesterol can I eat (i.e. what is moderation for me)?

Watch your serum levels of "Cholesterol" (i.e. LDL, HDL, tri-glycerides). I quoted the word cholesterol to distinguish it as a general label of the fats that can be bad (LDL, tri-glycerides) and good (HDL).

Moderation is a concept dieters need to understand better. Lots of people think you CAN'T have this or you MUST have that. Reality is a lot of foods can be nutritious, in moderation. Conversely, too much of a good thing can be bad (e.g. fatty foods).

I also avoided the statin meds.....thru diet and exercise. As a strong general statement, the changes I made to my diet were portion size, not foods (though I eat a lot less junk now for a different reason other than weight loss).

BTW....I eat eggs, but in moderation. Eggs, I like very much, but can not eat them if I choose. BACON.....OMG......BACON is my downfall. So, once a month (and a touch of bacon fat on my veggies, the help them go down).

Moderation.....NOT Can I or Can't I.
  • Eating a whole egg really has nothing to do with what your cholesterol numbers are.

Your hormones dictate what your overall cholesterol levels are.
    Watch your serum levels of "Cholesterol" (i.e. LDL, HDL, tri-glycerides). I quoted the word cholesterol to distinguish it as a general label of the fats that can be bad (LDL, tri-glycerides) and good (HDL).

Good point. LDL's and HDL's aren't your cholesterol. They are LIPOPROTEINS.

Your body NEEDS cholesterol for it's normal functions. High cholesterol occurs when normal hormone production is failing. Fix the hormone levels and your cholesterol will come down.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.

I do eat the eggs and the yolk, I just get freaked out because of the cholesterol macro in my diary. I may just take it off, I hate seeing it red. Plus, my cholesterol is good.

I was at 975 back in October 2010. October 2013, I'm at 121 and no longer taking any meds.

975?? Wow, that is quite an impressive change. My hat is off to you, sir.

Major diet change and tons of bicycling! I've done over 1100 miles since mid-July!
  • d_Mode

So, given your problem in the past that could lead to heart disease and stroke, the better question would be:

How much cholesterol can I eat (i.e. what is moderation for me)?

Moderation is a concept dieters need to understand better. Lots of people think you CAN'T have this or you MUST have that. Reality is a lot of foods can be nutritious, in moderation. Conversely, too much of a good thing can be bad (e.g. fatty foods).

I also avoided the statin meds.....thru diet and exercise. As a strong general statement, the changes I made to my diet were portion size, not foods (though I eat a lot less junk now for a different reason other than weight loss).

BTW....I eat eggs, but in moderation. Eggs, I like very much, but can not eat them if I choose. BACON.....OMG......BACON is my downfall. So, once a month (and a touch of bacon fat on my veggies, the help them go down).

Moderation.....NOT Can I or Can't I.

I like this...and am all about moderation now. Being diabetic I have learned to cut back on everything. I measure and weigh my food and use jogging and bicycling as my way of working out.

My triglycerides back then were >4000...as of Oct I've brought them down to 181. My HDL was a bit low but my LDL was good.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.

If you don't have a need to track your cholesterol intake, I would take it off. I did the same with sodium. I have low blood pressure and my doctor actually recommended increasing my sodium and I hated seeing it in the red as well so I took it off.
  • d_Mode

If you don't have a need to track your cholesterol intake, I would take it off. I did the same with sodium. I have low blood pressure and my doctor actually recommended increasing my sodium and I hated seeing it in the red as well so I took it off.

Yeah, I probably will. Like you, I hate seeing my sodium too. I'm almost always over and neither my doctor or nutritionist have told me I need to be tracking them. I just thought I would on my own to get an idea of foods I should and shouldn't be eating. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Skip the egg entirely.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Skip the egg entirely.

what a helpful response
  • Jenn_N_SC
    Jenn_N_SC Posts: 15 Member
    i had blood work done before i started eating better, and was given the option of changing my lifestyle or starting meds. i starting eating better, with a breakfast ritual of the whole egg. tests 6 months later showed that my bad cholesterol had dropped and my good cholesterol had increased which is a good thing. the only bad part about the yolk is it is higher in fat than the white. if your trying to do a extremely high protein/extremely low fat diet, skip the yolk.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    This past summer I ate 5-8 whole eggs per week and my blood work never came back better as it did in August. In that time I lost over 30lbs. So if you are doing all the other things right an egg here or there is not going to harm you. However to be safe have your blood work drawn and have it tested.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    eat the entire egg.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Eat the whole thing RAW.
  • dr_iti
    dr_iti Posts: 8 Member
    Do it half d way.. Mix whole eggs wd some only whites
  • cadillaccowboy
    cadillaccowboy Posts: 15 Member
    An egg is not an egg if you don't eat the best bit, the yolk!
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    According to how hungry you are I guess!
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    I once heard from my doctor that one egg a day is fine, so whenever I use more than one egg (pancakes, omelet) I make sure I use one whole egg and the other just egg whites. Also the taste with at least one whole egg is better ;) Good luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member

You are getting bad information that could put you back on medication and be detrimental to your health. Please don't get your information for your medical condition here. With cholesterol levels at 975, there is definitely something wrong with the way your body processes and absorbs the stuff. Completely normal people can eat the eggs without having to worry about raising their levels but you on the other hand, need to get tested after adding eggs to your diet.

Am I saying eggs are bad for you? No. Am I saying you can eat the eggs? No. I am saying you need to get tested at your doctor's office after including eggs in your diet because your body obviously does not handle cholesterol like normal people.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    The cholesterol you eat has a minimal impact on your own cholesterol levels. Eating a diet high in saturated fat is what will put you at risk of cholesterol problems. 1-2 eggs per day is a great way to get vitamins A, D, E and K, which sometimes people who are on restrictive diets can end up deficient in.
  • cstigs84
    cstigs84 Posts: 15 Member
    i had blood work done before i started eating better, and was given the option of changing my lifestyle or starting meds. i starting eating better, with a breakfast ritual of the whole egg. tests 6 months later showed that my bad cholesterol had dropped and my good cholesterol had increased which is a good thing. the only bad part about the yolk is it is higher in fat than the white. if your trying to do a extremely high protein/extremely low fat diet, skip the yolk.

Why would someone be doing an extremely low fat diet? That myth was busted a long time ago.