Exercise and overweight

Options
Hi,

So I am very overweight and I NEED to start exercising I know that but has anyone got any tips on how to do moderate exercise or something that wont be too hard?

I don't enjoy running so that's a no no

Also we haven't got much money at the moment so anyone know of anything I can do for free or rather cheap?

TIA

Replies

• lvlupfitness
    Options
    There a lot of things you can do. Squats, push ups, pull ups, burpees, lunges, etc. You can even get some resistance bands and use those to work even more body parts. Resistance bands are about $20 and you can get a pull up bar for another 15-20.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The cheapest and most effective thing you could do to just get started right now is simply by walking! :)

Another option (or something to do in conjunction with walking so you don't have excuses on bad weather days) is to grab yourself a workout DVD like Slim In 6 or Hip Hop Abs. You may not be able to do every move or for the whole duration right now but it'll help you to get started and improve your fitness! :)

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walk consistently. Log all your meals and walk. It will add up.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of youtube videos out there that you can do for free. Don't worry if you have to modify exercises or can't do everything while you are working out. The most important thing is to do something, and keep doing it!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    One of the best places to start is walking - and it is free (you can even walk in mall or other indoor place in winter). Once that gets easy, work up to something else. I have done a variety of workouts on DVD at home over the years. I personally enjoy Tae Bo, but there are low-impact aerobics, pilates, zumba, etc. There are lots of videos available online these days, too.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, walking is the best thing.

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • jlederman71
    jlederman71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definately walking... and I love my resistance bands (got them at Walmart for $20 and they come with a video too) I have a gym membership but when its really nasty outside or I just cant bring myself to get back out after a long day... the resistance bands are my go to!
  • linzchapates
    Options
    I think just by creating a deficit in your calories will help weight start to come off but that being said, walk. Get yourself a pedometer or a "Fitbit" and make sure you hit 5000-10,000 steps a day. I've lost 40 lbs in 12 weeks just by following my diet and walking, I have yet to step foot in a gym. when I get a good handle on my diet I will work on toning my body :) good luck on your journey!
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As long as you move more, you are moving in the right direction. Find something that you ENJOY and will have a higher probability of sticking with it.

fitnessblender.com You can choose the intensity (ranging from 1-5) and focus of the workout you would like to do.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I started walking. I highly recommend a fitbit of BodyMediaFIT (I have bodymedia) so you can track your steps, and moderate activity. Though I didn't use it when I lost the majority of my weight, it's helped me keep off 20lbs. this year, in conjunction with the the 80 I had previously lost. My walking turned into running, and now I weight lift, but walking would probably be best. If it's too cold, maybe try something like the 30 day shred. It's tough, but not too difficult for someone like you who is just starting out.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Like others have said walking is a great form of exercise! Keep your abs engaged, remember to breathe and swing your arms! Also any body weight exercises such as modified pushups or squats and lunges are a great start.

If you have a local library many times they will have workout DVD's that you can try for free. That way you can tell if it is something you will enjoy without any additional cost unless you need weights. It would be a start. I know you can get fairly cheap workout dvd's that actually work at places like Wal-Mart or Target.

Best of luck!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I also started out by walking. First just 15 minutes around the block, and now I go on hikes regularly for 1 to 2 hours. I got an app that lets me track distance and speed on my phone by GPS and it's really motivating to look at those stats :-)
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Walking, Zumba on Youtube and pilates are all free and fun!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Walking and get the Just My Size Yoga with Megan Garcia. It's low impact and will help you start to tone/stretch/use some muscles. A great starting point!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk at Home with Leslie Sansone.....these DVDs are at Target, Wal-Mart, your local library and Netflix (by mail).

These are great because you can do them at your own pace....no choreography to keep up with. Keep your movements small when you start and build speed, minutes, and intensity as you go.

Video clips here: http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/leslie-sansone-exercise-videos-10

Here's a youtube video (legal) of Jessica Smith's "walks" ......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5SeMKN8Bus

She's got a bunch.....very sweet personality....very encouraging.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above who mentioned walking. And, if you can get walks in right after meals, even better.

What ever you do, start small, adapt to the change and then start adding.

If you have internet access? Check out Youtube. Lots of good exercise info there. BUT!!! Do not get caught up with trying to do exactly what is being shown. Start slow, do some research, find a couple of moves or exercises that look interesting and a little challenging. Give it a go for a few days. Focus on proper form! As you master form, strength and endurance will follow.

There are lots of body weight exercises that require no gym or equipment. Push-ups (Start from knees if needed) squats, lunges and planks are all great and simple exercises to start with.

Note that weight loss and fitness are cumulative. The hard part is starting! So, start slow, build intensity and complexity slowly. Once you get going you will wonder how you ever lived without it!

Also, as you increase your physical output. Keep an eye on your dietary input! Log your food daily! Adapt and adjust what you eat to get the best nutrients. Just like with the exercise, start slow and build as you go.

Drink lots of water!

All my best for your journey!
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Walking is great like the other posters mentioned. If you can combine it with a circuit training routine, even better. Burpees, squats, mountain climbers, ski jumps, lunges etc. doing 10 reps each of a few sets. It'll be hard at first. But do as many as you can manage and work your way up.. you'll start seeing results. Good luck!
  • nikki4208
    nikki4208 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best thing for free! Drink plenty of water and watch your calorie intake. This is best for starting off
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Anything that is easy on the joints, such as walking, elliptical, swimming. And adding weight lifting will definitly help in losing weight and body composition.