Price of eggs

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You can tell a big difference in the eggs bought from the grocery store and those bought from a local farm.............the taste difference is no comparison.

I can't. and I just had some. They taste just the same to me. It's seriously not that big of a deal. Now. if I can get farm eggs- will I? yes. But I'm not hunting them down. I'm not paying more for them. It's simple a matter of what is more convenient to me.
    Funny that people didn't bleach eggs for years and years and was never an issue...................a little bird poop never hurt anyone.

The eggs I get from the farm will never come close to any bleach or other cleaner.

that's a completely specious argument.

People didn't have bleach for years and years- and often died at a very early age due to highly unsanitary conditions. I never bleached my neighbors eggs. Clearly I didn't die- but it's definitely way more sanitary to bleach them.

and trust me I am not not a sanitary germ-a-phobe.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Anyone looking for the cheapest egg prices they can find, I invite to watch videos on factory farms and factory eggs. Those chicks live miserable, miserable short lives laid from chickens who live equally miserable lives. All you need to do is Google it. You'd be disgusted. Eggs from locally, pastured chickens is the only way to go. The yokes are richer and creamier and the flavor doesn't compare.

I realize this is a loaded statement- but there is a reason I'm an apex predator and chickens aren't.

If you did a blind taste test and prepared all the following the exact same
    local pastured chickens eggs
    Factory farm chicken eggs
    Tortured chicken egg

I probably couldn't tell you the difference.

I don't care- it's in my fridge- and there for I eat it. a handful of people protesting this isnt' going to stop it. I might as well save myself some money.

And don't watch those ridiculously over emotional documentaries.

You can tell a big difference in the eggs bought from the grocery store and those bought from a local farm.............the taste difference is no comparison.

^^ Indeed.

Not only the taste but the way they look as well. I can definitely tell the difference when I buy farm fresh.
  • ccb1128
    Options
    The eggs are then bleached. It's a fascinating business.

all eggs should be dipped in bleach. Even farm ones. There is a fecal contact issue at hand. And this comes from a biologist who is an expert at such things.... we had a long conversation about this because my boss is extremely "clean" and into like hippy- gluten free- no processed stuff- and the secretary brings in her farm fresh eggs.... and co-worker says they definitely should be bleached...

boss clearly doesn't like this- but it's kind of a safety hazard.

The eggs I get from the farm will never come close to any bleach or other cleaner.

I do wash my farm eggs before use, but have never and would never bleach them. I've eaten them for years and have lived to the ripe ol' age of 37 without issue. Amazing.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I used to buy the free-range natural eggs and paid anywhere from $4 and up. I didn't notice a big difference. Not worth the price, IMO.

Pretty sure the point of buying free-range eggs isn't about the taste, but about the ethics of how animals are raised. That's what makes it "worth the price." (Although, I often wonder how "free range" grocery store eggs with that label actually are--that's why I get mine from a farm.)

I disagree; truly free-range eggs are better tasting. Depending upon what the chickens are feeding on, the taste can be quite different. Look at the yolks in your farm-raised eggs and notice the deeper color if the girls are feeding on worms, bugs, and greens. This is a result of better feeding and typically translates to a heartier taste. I've read a lot of debates on the health factors present in free-range v. caged (both extremes of the spectrum) and can't tell if there is truly any dietary health advantage to eating the free-range over the caged, but I do prefer the flavor of my free-range eggs.

Huh, you may be correct! Honestly, I haven't purchased eggs at the grocery store in about 3 years, so I may have forgotten this difference. I've never really noticed one. There is definitely a difference in the color and size of the yolks, however. And way more double yolks! I've even had the occasional mutant egg with no yoke, just whites--freaky. :)

My main point, though, was that taste and health isn't, in my opinion, the #1 reason to buy local/free range eggs. I get that they're not in everyone's budget, but I'd rather save money by just eating fewer eggs and feeling OK about where they come from than saving money by buying cheap eggs. I grew up in a rural area surrounded by industrial agriculture, so factory farming is very familiar to me and continues to creep me out. (Apologies for the soapbox--realize I sound like a bit of an *kitten*, haha.)
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I can't. and I just had some. They taste just the same to me. It's seriously not that big of a deal. Now. if I can get farm eggs- will I? yes. But I'm not hunting them down. I'm not paying more for them. It's simple a matter of what is more convenient to me.
    Funny that people didn't bleach eggs for years and years and was never an issue...................a little bird poop never hurt anyone.

that's a completely specious argument.

People didn't have bleach for years and years- and often died at a very early age due to highly unsanitary conditions. I never bleached my neighbors eggs. Clearly I didn't die- but it's definitely way more sanitary to bleach them.

and trust me I am not not a sanitary germ-a-phobe.

LMAO, I would never bleach my eggs. I bring them inside, rinse them off, and put them in the refrigerator. I'll let you know when I die from not bleaching them first.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

all eggs should be dipped in bleach. Even farm ones. There is a fecal contact issue at hand. And this comes from a biologist who is an expert at such things.... we had a long conversation about this because my boss is extremely "clean" and into like hippy- gluten free- no processed stuff- and the secretary brings in her farm fresh eggs.... and co-worker says they definitely should be bleached...

Same here.

There's no way I'm going to contaminate my food with a horrible contaminant. I'm trying to cut back on noxious household cleaners.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Charlotte, NC here. I'd say about $1.75 a dozen give or take depending on the store or weekly sales.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

...Not since I've been shopping at Save-A-Lot where 30 eggs can be had for $2.50. It seems like yesterday when a dozen eggs was 69 cents. *sigh*
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

yea i get them from my co-worker who has chickens. once you have farm fresh free range eggs, it is physically impossible to go back to store eggs without gagging.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    organic eggs, I pay anywhere from 3.49 to 5.00 !! per dozen
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    $2.08 is €1.54

Fresh from the farm here €3.00 per dozen
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    5.00 a dozen for non-gmo pastured fed eggs

2.00 a dozen from a local lady, they are pastured but not non GMO
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I used to buy the free-range natural eggs and paid anywhere from $4 and up. I didn't notice a big difference. Not worth the price, IMO.

Pretty sure the point of buying free-range eggs isn't about the taste, but about the ethics of how animals are raised. That's what makes it "worth the price." (Although, I often wonder how "free range" grocery store eggs with that label actually are--that's why I get mine from a farm.)

I disagree; truly free-range eggs are better tasting. Depending upon what the chickens are feeding on, the taste can be quite different. Look at the yolks in your farm-raised eggs and notice the deeper color if the girls are feeding on worms, bugs, and greens. This is a result of better feeding and typically translates to a heartier taste. I've read a lot of debates on the health factors present in free-range v. caged (both extremes of the spectrum) and can't tell if there is truly any dietary health advantage to eating the free-range over the caged, but I do prefer the flavor of my free-range eggs.

One time my husband talked me into buying those high-dollar eggs. I sure couldn't taste any difference. I quit shopping with him.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I have my own hens~9 of them. My eggs are free.

They cost you chicken feed. :laugh:

Eggs and chicken prices are currently going up for some reason. Time to start eating more steak and pork?
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

I don't worry too much about the cost of eggs. I like to buy the free range eggs so I know I'm supporting the chickens who are allowed to roam around outside cages. I don't eat that many eggs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't know that free range organic eggs from the market are any better than the regular ones cause they aren't all that fresh anyway. If you can get eggs straight from the farmer though, it is amazing how much better a fresh egg is compared to any that are at the supermarket.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Not very.

Free range, in the supermarket world, basically means the chicken has a tiny little area where it can walk and it isn't necessarily outside.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

This sounds nutty. First off you're not eating the shell. Second, you're probably going to cook the egg after cracking it. If anything, wash your hands after handling the egg but why the egg itself?
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live. I live in the south and we have an Aldi and I get my eggs from there for 1.28 a dozen. Sometimes they go on sale though at a grocery store that we have here called bi-lo and they are .99 a dozen. Usually when I see them on sale like that, I go and get 4 at a time (the store has a limit per day of 4) so I go and get 4 one day, then go the next day and get four more... This way I can stay stocked on eggs. Not sure how long eggs keep but at my house they go fast.....
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

Me too. If I'm going to eat meat/protein, I would rather splurge a little bit and just eat less. Happy chickens = delicious eggs.

Costco has some great brown/organic/free range eggs - it's either 18 or 24 for around $4-5 (in Houston).