Things to look for in a personal trainer

Options
Hi everyone,
I have about 10-15 pounds to left to lose (I'm down to a size 8 from a size 12) and in addition to joining MFP, I am getting a personal trainer for 10 sessions. I'm hoping the trainer will give me more confidence in the area of strength training as I feel a but lost around the weight section at the moment.

I have a complementary assessment with a trainer at my local Y tonight. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips regarding what to look for when first meeting a trainer, or things that I should ask.

Thanks!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tell him/her you want to squat, deadlift, over head press, bench press , and learn other compound moves..if they try to dissuade from doing these moves then find another trainer....

The trainers in my gym never have any of their clients squatting or deadlifting and what they do have them doing is a waste of time ..IMO...
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What above said. Also, someone who listens to you.
  • ReligiousFitness
    ReligiousFitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah everyones suggestions are good. But also to be 100% honest, chose a trainer who physically meets the goals you want for yourself as well. Because if they are stronger and leaner, obviously they know what they are doing and have put their training methods to the test!
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    Make sure your trainer is personalizing the plan they suggest to you and your goals as opposed to suggesting the same plan for every client (which obviously means they take the time to listen to and understand your goals, time frame, lifestyle, ect). Also, look for someone with a recognized certification or educational background, as many states don't require personal trainers to have this.
  • frannie078
    frannie078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice!

I especially liked this comment:
    tell him/her you want to squat, deadlift, over head press, bench press , and learn other compound moves..if they try to dissuade from doing these moves then find another trainer....

I have noticed some trainers who always seem to be taking their female clients over to the machines and avoiding the free weights... I'll make sure I bring this up at the meet and greet / assessment tonight.
  • sandykendrick
    sandykendrick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Im new and not sure I you go about getting a excerise. Is it one that you do and then you post it or how does it happen? How do I get intouch with my personal trainer?
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've worked with several personal trainers over the years. The key thing is that they are knowledgeable, and that they customize a routine to your interests and needs. Three things to watch out for: (1) Trainer who is just following a 1-size-fits-all recipe and won't deviate from it even if it doesn't quite fit you. (2) The virtuoso trainer who does a completely different workout with you every time. You need enough time and practice to learn a few workouts that you can do on your own. (3) The "no pain no gain" guy who insists on taking you from 0-60 in one session.

If you have for example old injuries or other limitations, make sure they know about them and work around them. Also, it helps a lot if you have a good rapport with the person - it will make the experience a lot more pleasurable.
  • halloweenie09
    halloweenie09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above about compound lifts. I think it is also important to find a personal trainer whose personality fits your own so really pay attention to how they motivate and talk to you. I have a personal trainer who is goofy and funny but can still push me without yelling at me. My friend has a personal trainer who yells and screams at her (in a loving fashion; he doesn't berate her or anything). Our trainers have completely different personalities but they work for each of us. It is important to have someone who is knowledgeable and certified but if you can't stand the sound of their voice then you may not be as motiviated to stick with it. And if you have the opportunity, try a couple of different trainers and don't feel bad if don't happen to click with one of them. I trained with three different trainers before I found one that I liked and who did more than just workouts on the machine.