Laptops

Options

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I use a MacBook Pro for work and it's quite a nice machine. I'm sure you could find a cheaper Windows model that's just as good, but it's not a bad machine by any stretch.

I also have a six year old Dell Latitude that still works pretty darn well. The good thing about Dell is their customer service and repairs are crazy fast. I was visiting my brother in Florida when my power adapter died. I called at 7pm Florida time, they shipped a new one from California within the hour and I got it the next day for no charge because of my warranty.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Chrome book uses Google operating system.
    Its good if you just use web apps, or for a 2nd laptop with ultra portability..

I like dell laptops a lot, and have owned several of them. The latitude series is amazing with its magnesium shell construction. I had a Latitude 6400

I just bought a Samsung series 7 gaming laptop last year. Its pretty rock solid. Its a 17" beast. so I might be purchasing a chrome book at some point in addition to my main one.

Asus, HP, Lenovo all are pretty decent. Mac is good if you like macs, otherwise I'd save my money.

Really the question you should ask first is, what applications do you want to run on it?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Got $$$? MacBook Pro.

On a budget? Lenovo.

This.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    MacBook (Pro or Air). I have owned Macs since 95 and they just keep on trucking. The software is designed to work seamlessly with the hardware from the same manufacturer so you aren't dealing with unexpected incompatibilities. Some will say they are more expensive than some Windows machines but once again, you get what you pay for. Check the refurbished site on Apple.com and you can get deals there if you want to pay a few bucks less. Or if you are in education (teacher or student), check the Education store. It is a bit cheaper there as well. My present Macbook Pro is 4 years old and it still does everything I want it to do. I wouldn't own anything else.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I work on computers for a living. Please look at the Lenovo Thinkpad or HP Probook or Elitebook. Both brands have lots of support.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just opened up my girlfriend's Mac laptop because I wanted to upgrade the RAM... a) they couldn't have made it less home-upgrade-friendly if they tried b) all the metal components were oxidized (ie they used cheap components) c) cables were this weird papery plastic. Not impressed, Mac.

My point is, I recommend a PC. At least then you can take it to a trusted friend for upgrades and not have to buy something new for a good while.

Windows 8 is for touchscreens, try to stick with 7 unless you're getting a tablet. ASUS makes excellent motherboards so I recommend them.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    Dell and NOT Acer...they make crap computers! I've got one and I can't use it more then 15 or 20 min and then it completely freezes and I have to reboot it (usually several times when I'm using it) so I'm getting a Dell laptop for Christmas. We have all Dell computers at work and have NO trouble with them at all! Most are 7 or 8 years old and still chugging along...
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    #1 What are your needs?
    #2 What is your budget?
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    #1 What are your needs?
    #2 What is your budget?

#1 Very basic needs. It's just a secondary home computer.
    #2 I'm a single mom. Cheaper is always better.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Marking for later as I'm looking too
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've heard that about Windows 8. I wonder if I can request Windows 7?

It would be a home laptop. I'm not really a gamer, so it doesn't need to be anything crazy.

I hate Windows 8...if you've not used it, avoid it at all costs.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have a Macbook Pro 13inch. I love having a Mac, it runs so much better than any Windows computer that I have had. Yes, Macs tend to be more expensive, but you get a more durable product IMHO. I have friends who have had the same MAC for 7-8 years. It's cheaper than having to replace your laptop every couple of years.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I had good luck with Toshiba in terms of long term durability. I could not say the same of my HP.

And screw Windows 8. I agree with seeing if you can order it with Windows 7.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Needs and budget really are essential for good recommendations.

Gaming and with a decent budget: Razer Blade, 14". We bought this for my son, and it's awesome. I almost kept it for myself. It's thin and light like an ultrabook but with actual gaming power. It's also beautiful and feels well-made, not cheap. It is, however, pricey. Slightly less expensive but still pricey - the Alienware 14" gaming laptop. We bought this one for my daughter. It's not as thin and light as the Razer, but it's not the massive animal my Dell XPS 17" laptop was -- that was just a desktop replacement. The Alienware is light enough to port around and has awesome gaming power.

Gaming with a lower/moderate budget: Probably Dell. You can get some good deals and still have enough to do what you need to do on it. And really, the type of gaming matters too -- different games have different requirements, and it depends on whether or not you feel the need to run everything at max settings or can make do on lower ones. :)

General needs (social media, web browsing, etc): Dell again is good. My other son has a Toshiba that we got for about $300 on a black Friday deal 2 years ago, and it works just fine for his needs. He does Minecraft and a couple other lower end Steam games on it with no issues. My other daughter has a Dell we bought a few years ago as well - she just uses it for youtube videos and general internet browsing.

SO much of this is personal preference - what matters most. I travel, so I like it light. If I gamed on the road (WoW, Rift, TSW), I would buy another Razer as it has the gaming power I want in a light, thin footprint I need. Since I don't, I have a Surface Pro. It is fantastic for my needs - light for travel, has a removable keyboard so I can use it like a tablet, has the power of a laptop. I VPN and do work, I download videos from amazon and watch them via amazon unbox with no issues (streaming in hotel rooms tends to be annoying. It can stream like nobody's business and works great if you're doing that, s/a Netflix or Amazon Prime, but hotel internet connection doesn't lend itself well to streaming I've noticed).

When we got the Alienware laptop, I took advantage of the Dell tablet deal and snagged one for my husband, to bring him into the world of portable media a bit more...he loves it. He hadn't realized the joys of sitting on the couch and sending emails from a smaller device until then. Heh.

Also, if your needs are truly more tablet-oriented rather than laptop, a Kindle Fire HDX can work perfectly fine, especially if you're already in the amazon walled garden :)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see where you put in needs/budget while I was typing, sorry!

So, secondary system, modest budget -- I'd look into a lower end Dell, but there are other good ones. I used Dell a lot because I had credit with them, and it really helped in my uber-lean years where I wanted a good system but needed a payment plan. Their customer service sort of sucks and their tech support isn't the best though. So, if you're not needing to use their financing (which is good, because it is a high interest rate and I don't recommend that unless you get a zero interest deal and pay it off quickly), then maybe check around Best Buy too. Lenovo always seems good.

you could also consider a tablet and get a wireless keyboard to pair with it for when needed.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    #1 What are your needs?
    #2 What is your budget?

Short reply: Wait for post holiday sales; Toshiba, Asus, Dell, Surface Tablet; don't waste money on something because it is simply 'cheaper'

Cheap product = cheap hardware = unreliable software = you will be upset!

Long reply: I would check sales at a few different places after holidays for price reduction on over stock. If you need something now, there are some good deals on Toshiba and Asus laptops - both reliable brands in my experience for everything from basic browsing to heavy video game usage.

I like Dell because they have great customer support, however over the years the quality of their products has gone down.

The new surface tablet/laptop is very nice, a little expensive, not much storage in comparison to a traditional laptop; but it sounds like it would fit your needs while keeping you up to date with technology for a while.

People are moving away from laptops as the convenient portable computer, and pushing more towards tablets. With tons of free storage online via google and other companies, it's almost archaic to bother purchasing a lot of storage now a days.

Also, I like both Apple and Android tablets, they all serve their purpose. However, you will find better pricing on Android tablets because you aren't paying for the brand name like you do with mac.

Don't invest money on something ultra cheap and off brand. Have never used a Lenovo, I have not read any decent reliable reviews on them either in relation to anything aside from their Thinkpads.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    MacBook or GTFO
  • KaosLynnRose
    KaosLynnRose Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    i got an acer...this is my 2nd one only reason i got my first acer was cuz it was on sale lol but i went with acer for the 2nd time cuz i actually like it alot
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have an Asus G74SX, but that's going to be super expensive.

Dell is what I've gone with in the past, before this one. You can always look at sites that talk about the best computers within your price range. There are a lot of them out there!
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    #1 What are your needs?
    #2 What is your budget?

If you just need a little computer and use google apps like gmail, get a chromebook. They're super inexpensive, very light and great for email, browsing the web and that kind of stuff. Plus you can do all your word processing stuff online with google docs and google drive.

If you need more of a laptop because you use special software [more than just email, webbrowsing and word processing], go with ASUS, they have really quality stuff at a good price. Avoid Acer, HP and toshiba. Apple is way too expensive for what you get, but if you buy a refurbished one that can be worth it. Check their online store for the outlet and refurbished mac section