Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

waking up every night to eat

I still have some fat to lose (I'm 5'6 150lbs, would like to be back at 135) so I'm trying to be in a deficit, but I wake up every single night hungry. Drinking water does not help, I have to actually eat something in order to fall back asleep. Naturally I would say I am not eating enough but I eat around 2000-2200 calories a day. I workout 5-6 days a week strength training and doing sprints. so my TDEE according to calculators is around 2500. I always end off the day eating around 2000 calories, but eating when I wake up at night takes me to 2500.

so what is going on? I don't want to mess my body up by ignoring my hunger. I messed my hunger cues up by eating low calorie for a few years, so I finally feel like my body is getting back on track now that I am eating more and working out. its just that I feel like I am not getting anywhere with my fat loss when I cant remain in a deficit! (I'm also trying to not focus on the scale and go by measurements and how I feel and I feel good right now but I definitely have weight/fat to lose).

Anyone have a similar experience? Should I just trust my body and feed it when it asks for fuel?

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Could you make your diary public so we can take a look at what you are eating?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    I know most people say don't eat before bed, but I'm one of those people who can't go to sleep hungry otherwise I can't sleep, and if I tried, I'd be in the same position as you - getting up & having to eat.

Plan for it. I actually start my log day at midnight (I go to sleep late) so that I don't go over my cals for the day that I plan. If when I wake up at 8:30-9am, I already consumed 250 calories, that's fine. It's easier for me to plan the rest of the day as opposed to eating all my calories, then being hungry when I go to bed & continuously go over.

The main reason why people say not to eat right before bed is because people do what you are doing - eat all your cals, THEN eat some more. And often it's mindless eating at night (snack here, much there, handful of that...) & they add up to be more than people realize. If you already know it's something you do, just plan for it. Also think about what it is you're eating: Go for protein with some healthy fats (my go-tos are a scoop of peanut butter, a healthy fiber bar w/ protein, or a hard boiled egg.) The protein will fill you up & the fats are more relaxing than something with higher carbs.

Hope that helps. :)
  • just made my diary public =) I eat really well, I cant have gluten or dairy & I make all my own food. The only store bought things I eat are Larabars and protein powder.

and I have been even drinking a protein shake right before bed and I will wake up a few hours later regardless. I've experimented with eating a bigger dinner, etc, but when it comes down to it, it always happens if I am eating just at 2000 calories. Its funny too, I used to maintain at like 1500 calories, but felt like crap so when I upped my calories and started working out more, it's like my metabolism is really working now and my body needs a lot of fuel.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Unless it's like 30-35+ grams of protein, a protein shake doesn't really fill you up as much as you think it would. Just think of it as a suppliment, like it's supposed to be, & eat something of substance.

From your diary, we seem to eat fairly similar. Try upping your protein about 5-10% though & see if it that helps. It did for me (I started MFP eating at about 15-20% & now i eat closer to 30%. I also eat somewhat on the vegetarian side.)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I take an over the counter sleeping pill before bed and for some reason I wake up every night in the middle of the night hungry. I typically can go back to bed, but sometimes I get up and eat string cheese. It is so bizarre.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    I would say wait longer to eat dinner and/or have a snack before bed. There's nothing wrong with that. I eat the majority of my calories in the latter part of the day, so it is rare that I ever go to bed hungry. Forget anything you've ever read about not eating past 8pm.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    just made my diary public =) I eat really well, I cant have gluten or dairy & I make all my own food. The only store bought things I eat are Larabars and protein powder.

and I have been even drinking a protein shake right before bed and I will wake up a few hours later regardless. I've experimented with eating a bigger dinner, etc, but when it comes down to it, it always happens if I am eating just at 2000 calories. Its funny too, I used to maintain at like 1500 calories, but felt like crap so when I upped my calories and started working out more, it's like my metabolism is really working now and my body needs a lot of fuel.

Have a 10 oz steak right before dinner, lol.

But seriously.. drop your carbs and increase fats and protein a lot. If you want, you can also adjust your meals to have a much larger meal later in the day.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Meal timing doesn't matter. You could eat all of your calories right before you went to bed and it wouldn't make a difference.

You can save a few calories for bed time and snack on something.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I find that for me a bowl of steel cut oats before bed really helps my hunger til morning
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    If I wake up hungry I usually eat some pickles (about 5 calories) and then I'm able to go back to sleep.
  • just made my diary public =) I eat really well, I cant have gluten or dairy & I make all my own food. The only store bought things I eat are Larabars and protein powder.

But seriously.. drop your carbs and increase fats and protein a lot. If you want, you can also adjust your meals to have a much larger meal later in the day.

how much would you recommend I drop my carbs by? The night wakings werent happening when I was lower carb (like around 100g/day) but I also wasnt exercising as much and as intensely.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    You do eat nicely. You can set up your diary to more specific time frames (feel free to look at mine). So you could have a Night Snack as a category and then you can plan your meals a day ahead of time until you get into a pattern of redistributing your calories so they fit into your goal. Or try eating smaller more frequent meals?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

Anyone have a similar experience? Should I just trust my body and feed it when it asks for fuel?

If I "listened to my body" I would weigh 500 lbs. I am never full. Track and stop when you get to your goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    just made my diary public =) I eat really well, I cant have gluten or dairy & I make all my own food. The only store bought things I eat are Larabars and protein powder.

how much would you recommend I drop my carbs by? The night wakings werent happening when I was lower carb (like around 100g/day) but I also wasnt exercising as much and as intensely.

I would maybe try setting carbs around 150-170 to see if that helps. I eat 500 more calories than you and our carbs are close.
  • save some calories every day for a protein bar during the night? I often eat half a quest bar when I wake up super hungry.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but is it possible to eat dinner later in the evening? Maybe also trying giving intermittent fasting a shot. You are eating the cals in a smaller window but if you train in the evenings you start eating at about the lunch area, train in the evenings and then eat the rest of your cals after you train and before bed. This could possibly help in not waking up hungry in the middle of the night. check out www.leangains.com for more details.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 189 Member
    I take an over the counter sleeping pill before bed and for some reason I wake up every night in the middle of the night hungry. I typically can go back to bed, but sometimes I get up and eat string cheese. It is so bizarre.

Interesting... Benadryl was well known as causing weight gain in people who used it to fall asleep regularly. Maybe the sleeping pill has a similar effect?
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member

Interesting... Benadryl was well known as causing weight gain in people who used it to fall asleep regularly. Maybe the sleeping pill has a similar effect?

I believe the active ingredient is the same in both. Wonder what it does to my brain. Hmm
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Your body is hungry for a reason. it's trying to fuel your exercise protocol. You don't have to workout six days a week to maintain a level of fitness. Excess cardio will cause you to be hungry and crave carbs. Try reducing your exercise to three days a week, at least temporarily, and see if your appetite will become more manageable.