Cardio to Weights

Options
I currently 'workout' 5-6 days per week. My workout is the same right now as my immediate goal is to loose weight/fat. The following is my workout:

1). 20-30 minutes; stretching (these stretches are Physical Therapy stretches as I am rehabbing a SI joint injury)
2). 45 minutes; stationary bike
- While riding the bike I have a pair 5 pound bar bells that I do butterfly lifts - 4 sets of 50 during the 45 minute bike ride.
3). 15-20 minutes; kettle bell exercises w/ 15 pound kettle bells (3 sets of curls: 25, 22, 20 & 3 sets of overhead lifts: 25, 22, 20)
4). Every other day I use an Ab Carver Pro to do ab exercises

I have currently lost about 115 pounds and am about 25 pounds from my goal weight. I am looking for some advice as to when and how to start a weight lifting program that will allow me to continue to loose the body fat I need to but also start to create some definition and build muscle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the kettlebell is wasted by doing curls - try googling swings, cleans and high pulls to start with for a fantastic muscle and cardio workout in one.

That being said, anytime is a good time to start a weights program, its just that the weight you will be lifting will be relative to you. Try Stronglifts 5x5 or google Tentigers full body plan.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts 5 x 5
    new rules of lifting

KB's are nice- but they aren't the be all end all. You can definitely get some good stuff out of them though. Remember they are just weight's with handles so don't be limited to "KB only workouts"
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As for when to start, the sooner the better, the closer you get to your goal the harder it becomes to lose fat without also losing muscle, so strength training will help retain what you already have.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts 5 x 5
    new rules of lifting

KB's are nice- but they aren't the be all end all. You can definitely get some good stuff out of them though. Remember they are just weight's with handles so don't be limited to "KB only workouts"

I 2nd this.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Are KBs all you have access to?
    Because adding in dumbbells and barbells would be ideal.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are fantastic, and you can definitely do a lot of strength work with them. It's what I did for 2 years before I started lifting with a bar, and it's why I am now lifting as heavy as I am. But you need much heavier than 15 lbs, and you need to be doing more ballistic/posterior chain exercises with them.

That is not to say you can't start barbell training right away. You absolutely can and should (I wish I had started from day 1), but you can build a very strong foundation for heavy lifting with kettlebells, AND you can use them for cardio if you're doing the right exercises (swings, clean, high pulls, snatches ... learn them in that order). I wrote a huge blog post about my experience with kettlebells, including a lot of YouTube links for examples. If you're interested, go here: http://caseytx.com/2013/10/16/kettlebell-training/
  • Tbone0813
    Options

That is all I have right now at home. I can probably acquire more gear. Can you make any recommendations?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i second getting a heavier kettlebell or 2. here's so much you can do with those especially in your home gym.

maybe get a 1 pood size (appx 32 pounds) and a 1.5 pood size (55 pounds). you can do things like turkish get ups (start wih the smaller size), KB swings, push presses, etc

this is a good resource for exercise ideas
    http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

That is all I have right now at home. I can probably acquire more gear. Can you make any recommendations?

Craigslist.
    Check the sports/fitness section and the free section.
    People get rid of fitness equipment ALL the time.

If you have the room for a power rack or squat rack (either bought or made), do it!
    Get an oly bar, plates, and a bench.
    Have at it
  • Tbone0813
    Options
    Kettlebells are fantastic, and you can definitely do a lot of strength work with them. It's what I did for 2 years before I started lifting with a bar, and it's why I am now lifting as heavy as I am. But you need much heavier than 15 lbs, and you need to be doing more ballistic/posterior chain exercises with them.

That is not to say you can't start barbell training right away. You absolutely can and should (I wish I had started from day 1), but you can build a very strong foundation for heavy lifting with kettlebells, AND you can use them for cardio if you're doing the right exercises (swings, clean, high pulls, snatches ... learn them in that order). I wrote a huge blog post about my experience with kettlebells, including a lot of YouTube links for examples. If you're interested, go here: http://caseytx.com/2013/10/16/kettlebell-training/

Thanks for the link. This is great stuff. I appreciate the work you put in to this.
  • Tbone0813
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to join a local gym and start the StrongLifts 5X5 program. I ran this by my physical therapist and he though it would work out well for me. Unfortunately I just don't have the room for all the equipment at home so I have to join a gym. On the upside the gym is 5 minutes from me, brand new and has all the latest and greatest including free weights (plus it is only $9.99 monthly).

I hope everyone has a blessed day.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is frequently recommended to women who want to start a strength program, but little mention is made of the other New Rules books.

I finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. It is a great all-around fitness program that works on endurance, strength, balance and power. It is suitable for any level of lifter, because you choose your lifts/exercises from a menu that includes basic no-weight movements for beginners, or big compound lifts for more advanced lifters. It is a great program that has a lot of variety, which is good if you get bored easily. The program is broken into 3 sections: Basic Training (fitness/endurance), Hypertrophy (building muscle with undulating sets/reps), and Strength and Power (increasing your strength and adding weight to the compound lifts).

It is a great program and I'd highly recommend the book to anyone who wants to embark on a fitness and strength training routine but doesn't know where to start.