Some people aren't built to run....HUH????

Options
Hello,

I just started my program for C25K. I did W1 twice and now I'm on W2 D1. I have never really been a runner, but loved to run (if that makes sense). Since I have started the program I notice that when I run I get a burning sensation in my calf muscles. I don't stop I push right thru it, but I thought that since I just started this was normal and would stop after the 2nd or 3rd run. I did a lot of walking, even before I started the program. I never had the pain of my calfs feeling like they were on fire. Is this normal???????? I have spoke to some runners and have heard no, yes, probably, and even "some people are not built to be runners." I'm sorry but I thought if you can walk surely you can run. Right? Does anyone else out there have this pain or had this pain. If so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I want to run in my first C25K and I don't plan on giving up by NO MEANS!!! :-)

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I'm built to run. I can do other excercise, including high intensity stuff like netball, I swim, walk etc. Running will trigger my asthma fast, plus it makes my boobs, ,joints, legs and back hurt.

I probably wasn't born 'not built to run' but it's certainly not a good idea now. Running just doesn't suit some people, IMO.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm built for comfort, not speed.

But seriously, I do NOT have a runner's build. I have short legs, long torso, and wide hips. Not the best build for efficient running. However, I can swim, skate, and ski like a mofo.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A lot of runners have the burning sensation when starting out. I had it, my sister had and several other runners I know had it. It is something that your body has to get used to. You use different fibers in your muscles to run than you do to walk. If you stick with it, you will make it through to the other side. I think it took about 2 weeks for me and it took my sister closer to 3-4 weeks. It feels torturous, but it is just your body adapting. In the meantime, you can look into compression sleeves to support your calves while they are transitioning. And definitely stretch them out good when you are done with your run. Good luck on your journey...anyone can be a runner...you just have to run! :)
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I could be a run, although I've always been a walker... I'm on week 7 of C25K and running great. I think anyone can build up to running, but it's certainly not for everyone -- I'm just talking interest here.

Having good running shoes designed for your feet is important. You can go to a running store and get your gait assessed to see if that could be the issue with your calves?
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yep! I pretty much know exactly what you are talking about. The cure is stretching. Pure and simple! Once you have the burning feeling stretching isn't going to make it go away...I would just take it easy for a few days but keep at it and just stretch those calves good and long after each run and it will likely prevent the burning from returning! Worked for me anyway!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Get thee to Target DcK's sporting Goods- Sports Authoriy- Champion- or even Amazon... buy yourself a foam roller.

seriously.

And yes- some people are more inclined to be runners than others- I'll never be a short distance sprinter- 4 years of soccer- and I got bested at 60 yards and under for any sprint- anything over 60 and you were flat out toast. I was a mid range sprinter- and I could go for miles with long steady distance paces.

But that doesn't mean I still didn't do it.

I still do them now. Short sprints- long sprints- and some 'longer' runs (typically 2-3 miles).

My BF can't run at all- he is one of those 'awkward runners (check out the youtube clip- hysterical)... he really is- I'd be embarassed to run with him. He's just NOT atheletic at all.

But I'm proud of him that he works out and goes for walks and does things that make him happy. Shrug- if that's what he wants to do- then that's what he should do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But seriously, I do NOT have a runner's build. I have short legs, long torso, and wide hips. Not the best build for efficient running. However, I can swim, skate, and ski like a mofo.

Same boat here. I still do the running because it is such superb exercise for CV fitness, but the reality is that I could get down to 0% body fat and I would *still* to be big and incorrectly shaped to be a competitive runner.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I never had the pain of my calfs feeling like they were on fire. Is this normal???????? I have spoke to some runners and have heard no, yes, probably, and even "some people are not built to be runners." I'm sorry but I thought if you can walk surely you can run. Right?

Good on you for not giving up. It sounds like you need more warm up/cool down stretches.

I am not built to run. I have a GG cup sized bust and it hurts one week out of the month to even walk down stairs.
    I *can* run - but I look pretty silly having to wear 2 sports bras and hug my arms over my chest. :grumble:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not "built to be a runner" either, my low centre of gravity was great when I played college rugby but despite my stumpy legs and stocky build I now run half-marathons (not expecting a call from the Olympic committee any time soon) and my PB is 2:14.47 (planning on breaking 2 hrs next May)

Anyone, barring real physical, impediments can learn to run successfully. You may never become a record setting runner but given the right footwear, training program and attitude you'd be amazed at what you're capable of achieving.

The key is to start slowly and build slowly, personally I think the C25K program is too aggressive for many new runners. If you haven't been active building from zero to 5K in 9 or 10 weeks is pushing it.

There is a certain amount of discomfort attached to any new physical activity, the trick is learning to differentiate between normal discomfort and acute pain. Warm up before your runs, stretch afterward and I'll second the foam roller advice.

Be patient, be persistent and have fun!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    From an evolutionary biology standpoint, every single human is built to run. You may not have the ability to win races, but barring injury or special circumstances, you can run. Whether or not you like running is a different story.

Burning sensation in your calves? You are using muscles that you haven't used before, because walking is different than running. Slow down. You should be able to carry on a conversation on your runs when starting out. Even if it feel painfully slow. Even if it is just a shade above your walking pace. You need that base before you can add on speed.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would have always said i wasn't built to run yet here I am running a hell of a lot and getting faster and able to run further each week. I started off with C25K too and i'd say it's a good place to start. In the past i found my calves hurt when i had the speed up too high on the treadmill. Take it real slow, even if it is only just above walking pace x
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i second the foam roller.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have tried to take on jogging through C25K and even a more conservative program. When I do, I get severe pain in my calf - well really it's outer aspect of my calf/shin. The one time I tried a 5k I developed golf ball sized knots in my legs (visible to the naked eye) and it was a disaster. This is NOT shin splints. I have proper shoes, I have tried stretching, I have tried conditioning. It's not a cardio thing - I do hour long spin classes weekly and have even done a 6 hour spinning marathon for charity. I have come to accept that I am just not meant to be a runner. But I wish luck with it !
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I say shoes. When I first started I bought an expensive pair of Nike. I had shin splits 2 weeks later and I felt like dying. I didn't think it was my expensive shoes that were causing the problem, but it was. Now I pay $45 for my sneakers and never had an issue.

ETA: I don't think I built to be a runner, but I run anyway. I may run slow as hell, but I get there.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when I started (and restarted) the C25K program. You use very different calf muscles when you run and when you walk/use an elliptical, etc. I took an extra day off when I needed one focused on stretching and the calf pain went away after a few weeks. I've worked up to a 10K, but run pretty slowly because (like others) my body just isn't build for running. Just listen to your body--if it feels that wrong, go slower or take some time off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have tried to take on jogging through C25K and even a more conservative program. When I do, I get severe pain in my calf - well really it's outer aspect of my calf/shin. The one time I tried a 5k I developed golf ball sized knots in my legs (visible to the naked eye) and it was a disaster. This is NOT shin splints. I have proper shoes, I have tried stretching, I have tried conditioning. It's not a cardio thing - I do hour long spin classes weekly and have even done a 6 hour spinning marathon for charity. I have come to accept that I am just not meant to be a runner. But I wish luck with it !

foam roller...seriously.

you need one more than you can imagine
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor and have them refer you to a physio.
    Get your ankles, shins and knees checkout for injury or sprains.
    Find out whether you are flat footed and need an orthaheel arch.
    Check whether you have a leg length discrepancy.

And look for yourself. I've got very skinny ankles, so there isn't much fat around the tendons and joints and ligaments to cushion them from impact. Running long distances causes discomfort for me in my ankles. Others have very strong ankles and have little to no discomfort at all. If you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then start with basic boxing or learn hand to hand combat through videos on YouTube.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not "built to be a runner" either, my low centre of gravity was great when I played college rugby but despite my stumpy legs and stocky build I now run half-marathons (not expecting a call from the Olympic committee any time soon) and my PB is 2:14.47 (planning on breaking 2 hrs next May)

Anyone, barring real physical, impediments can learn to run successfully. You may never become a record setting runner but given the right footwear, training program and attitude you'd be amazed at what you're capable of achieving.

The key is to start slowly and build slowly, personally I think the C25K program is too aggressive for many new runners. If you haven't been active building from zero to 5K in 9 or 10 weeks is pushing it.

There is a certain amount of discomfort attached to any new physical activity, the trick is learning to differentiate between normal discomfort and acute pain. Warm up before your runs, stretch afterward and I'll second the foam roller advice.

Be patient, be persistent and have fun!

Wow, I agree with everything in this post! Even as a healthy, active kid, I couldn't run. The C25K program I did was an 8 week program. It took me 13 weeks to complete it, and while I could run for 30 minutes, I wasn't fast enough to complete 5K in that time. I will never be "fast" but I run. I've completed a half marathon even! And, I'm certainly faster than I used to be. My first 5K was about 46 minutes (couldn't run the entire thing). My last 5K was about 31 minutes. Big improvements. My goal is to do a 5K in sub-30 and a half marathon in sub-2:30. They are not lofty goals LOL.

But make no mistake...this 'not built to run girl' is a runner :-) You can be one too if you want it.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    FOAM ROLLER.

My calves, ankles, shins, thighs EVERYTHING was MISERABLE when I attempted C25K.
    Im still not a runner by any stretch of the imagination, but the foam roller is the only reason I was ever able to run longer than 30 seconds at a time
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I might modify the statement. Some people aren't built to sprint (yet). Some people aren't built to run marathons (yet). But almost anyone, given a basic knowledge of technique, a proper gait assessment, and balanced nutrition can run. There are a lot of good studies and articles written about running nutrition, most of them recommending a somewhat conventional balanced diet that helps your muscles rebuild and recover.

Perhaps five years later that person will end up running a marathon. But trying to sprint or run distance without proper experience is one of the most common causes of injury. Are you able to converse with relative ease while running? If not then you're overexerting. If you increase your mileage more than 10% in a week, you're overexerting (and I find that 10% is generous). You should take an easy week every fourth week (same number of runs, but fewer miles/slower speed).

Gotta start slow, even if that means that awkward spot in between walking and running. For people like me with beefier upper body and skinny legs, it takes annoyingly long to build speed and distance.