Screen tongue

Options
Awhile back (actually before I started caring about a healthy life for myself) I saw a Dateline or 20/20 about extreme weightloss measures people take. Earlier today someone. Commented that they were 230lbs and wanted to be 200 by January 2nd. I replied to the OP that it wasn't realistic. Then I remembered the show I watched this summer where girls were having a metal screen surgically sewed onto their tongue. They keep it for 30 days and then the doctor removes it. While they have it they can only have a liquid diet. Chewing food is extremely painful. If I recall the girls they interviewed were overweight but NOT obese. I'm pretty sure they both lost 25-30lbs that month. Supposedly the doctor had them on a shake diet. It was unreal. How can a doctor do this? I know technically you can get nutrients in smoothies/shakes. Isn't this super unhealthy to lose such a great part of your body fat so fast?

Replies

• LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow...that just doesn't seem right. And it seems wrong to me for a doctor to do that. He/she should be encouraging heathy diet and exercise!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I remember someone posting about that this summer. It looked gruesome and basically it just made it so painful to eat that you just won't. The insane measures people will take to avoid the tried and true weight loss methods is truly stunning. And the fact that doctors will perform this procedure, or the one where women get a feeding tube inserted and don't eat for a week is really creepy
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I remember someone posting about that this summer. It looked gruesome and basically it just made it so painful to eat that you just won't. The insane measures people will take to avoid the tried and true weight loss methods is truly stunning. And the fact that doctors will perform this procedure, or the one where women get a feeding tube inserted and don't eat for a week is really creepy

I agree. That is so creepy.

I know this might sound dumb coming from a woman who is still 208 lb, but I really think if I wanted to "not eat" regular food and just have a liquid diet for 30 days, badly enough to get a metal screen surgically placed on my tongue...I would be able to just do that. I would not need the screen. Maybe I have some kinda awesome willpower I am just not using? LOL
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I know this might sound dumb coming from a woman who is still 208 lb, but I really think if I wanted to "not eat" regular food and just have a liquid diet for 30 days, badly enough to get a metal screen surgically placed on my tongue...I would be able to just do that. I would not need the screen. Maybe I have some kinda awesome willpower I am just not using? LOL

I agree. I would do the liquid diet voluntarily before I'd let any nutty doctor mess with my tongue!

I think someday there will be an expensive weight loss clinic where you check in and they put you in a coma and feed you 300 calories a day through a tube until you're at your goal weight.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options

I agree. I would do the liquid diet voluntarily before I'd let any nutty doctor mess with my tongue!

I think someday there will be an expensive weight loss clinic where you check in and they put you in a coma and feed you 300 calories a day through a tube until you're at your goal weight.

I'm really surprised that with the right amount of money this isn't already happening.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Awhile back (actually before I started caring about a healthy life for myself) I saw a Dateline or 20/20 about extreme weightloss measures people take. Earlier today someone. Commented that they were 230lbs and wanted to be 200 by January 2nd. I replied to the OP that it wasn't realistic. Then I remembered the show I watched this summer where girls were having a metal screen surgically sewed onto their tongue. They keep it for 30 days and then the doctor removes it. While they have it they can only have a liquid diet. Chewing food is extremely painful. If I recall the girls they interviewed were overweight but NOT obese. I'm pretty sure they both lost 25-30lbs that month. Supposedly the doctor had them on a shake diet. It was unreal. How can a doctor do this? I know technically you can get nutrients in smoothies/shakes. Isn't this super unhealthy to lose such a great part of your body fat so fast?

I find it mostly sad that anyone would hate their body so much that they would take such drastic, painful, and risky measures to lose weight.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I find it mostly sad that anyone would hate their body so much that they would take such drastic, painful, and risky measures to lose weight.

I completely agree...it's sad...:(
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It is sad, but someone that lives a life where a coma/jaw-wiring/metal-stitched-on-tongue is the best option, probably isn't happy in life due to the weight. However, it is a temporary fix. I know we all say once we get to where we are at our ideal weight that we will do everything to keep us there, but someone that has had an easy fix to lose weight learns absolutely nothing and will load it back on. So, will they spend their lives rinse/repeat with weight and weightloss? Sad.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It is sad, but someone that lives a life where a coma/jaw-wiring/metal-stitched-on-tongue is the best option, probably isn't happy in life due to the weight. However, it is a temporary fix. I know we all say once we get to where we are at our ideal weight that we will do everything to keep us there, but someone that has had an easy fix to lose weight learns absolutely nothing and will load it back on. So, will they spend their lives rinse/repeat with weight and weightloss? Sad.

When I saw the piece about the people having feeding tubes inserted, the main woman they were talking to was perfectly fit and healthy looking. I think it shows that a) we're never happy with what we have and b) we don't want to do the work to get what we want. Obviously, I don't mean that for everyone. Mfp is filled with people who work there tails off to achieve the bodies they want. But part of why obesity is such a problem is because so many people want the quick fix or nothing at all.