Is my weight loss goal realistic?

Options
Hi! I'm posting here because i am now a month and a half into my very low carb diet, I have lost 18 pounds so far,(40 total in the past year)... i ate what i wanted to on thanksgiving so it was a small set back but im back to my original loses. I want to lose another 18 lbs on this diet before i decide to maintain. I am 5'8" and 158 lbs right now, goal weight of 140. I want to be at my goal weight by summer, June, is 18 more pounds realistic? I run at least two miles a day, at least 5 days a week and do strength training as well. My resent standstill has left me wondering if the last 18 lbs is going to take FOREVER and im not sure how much more i can cut out/or increase my work outs to because of my work schedule. I am currently doing intermittent fasting, eating one meal a day around 800 calories and i feel great and its been working, just feeling discouraged the past few days.

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify... you only eat 800 calories a day? And have been doing this for roughly six weeks now? IF that's the case, you need to eat more. That's not healthy at ALL, especially when adding in like 5 days of exercising.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post this because I have seen dozens of discussions going on about eating too few calories, and I myself have been taunted for my 1400 -1500 calorie intake.

There is absolutely no data showing any significant issues with VLCD plans. People with a BMI over 30 are sometimes put on VLCD plans by their doctor.

That said, there is one thing you need to be aware of. You still need to hit your macros. That's right, you still need the same amount of nutrients to maintain your body.

I try to get as close as possible to all of my macros. I may be lacking here or there, but generally I do well at getting close.

I don't feel like crap...I have lost 2.4lbs a week consistently with no plateau.

800 calories is a little low. You need to at least get the right amount of carbs, fats, protein, and fiber. You don't need to be depriving your body of essential nutrients.

However, a low calorie diet is just fine for some people. It isn't a bad choice for everybody.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    18 pounds by the summer is realistic. 800 calories a day for any length of time is not healthy unless you are being supervised by a doctor. You can eat twice what you are, still reach that goal, and be far more likely to maintain the loss than you will by starving.
  • rle2512
    rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @hwoeltjen Could you possibly educate me on macros? I read alot online but have slim to zero knowledge on the subject. I ate a low calorie/fat diet for over a year along with running and strength training and i was miserable and barely losing. Low carb has opened my eyes i am so motivated these days.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Esh... 800 cals for the whole day. IMO unless it is a professional prescribing this for you it should be at a 1200 min IMO. And that is without training. Can 18lbs be lost by June? Sure... that is about 3lbs a month which is very doable but do not cause your body harm by not nurturing it properly. Again if a professional DR / dietitian (and even some of those I question) is recommending this that do that.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A goal weight of 140 at your height is perfectly fine. So is losing 18 lbs in about six months. However, if you weigh 158 lbs, there is no reason for you to reach this goal through a VLCD. VLCD should only be done among severely fat individuals under strict medical supervision - not someone whose already in a healthy weight range but wants to lose under 20 lbs.

Punch in your numbers into a TDEE calculator such as this:
    http://www.weightrainer.net/losscalc.html

*For weekly fat loss, enter 0.75 lbs.

Use a food scale, weigh literally everything you eat and drink and eat the number given for a at least a month.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm posting here because i am now a month and a half into my very low carb diet, I have lost 18 pounds so far,(40 total in the past year)... i ate what i wanted to on thanksgiving so it was a small set back but im back to my original loses. I want to lose another 18 lbs on this diet before i decide to maintain. I am 5'8" and 158 lbs right now, goal weight of 140. I want to be at my goal weight by summer, June, is 18 more pounds realistic? I run at least two miles a day, at least 5 days a week and do strength training as well. My resent standstill has left me wondering if the last 18 lbs is going to take FOREVER and im not sure how much more i can cut out/or increase my work outs to because of my work schedule. I am currently doing intermittent fasting, eating one meal a day around 800 calories and i feel great and its been working, just feeling discouraged the past few days.

Your goal is definitely realistic, but I accomplished what you are trying to do in a different way. I am 5'8, was 165lbs in May and got down to 140 in 5 months. I did this by NOT eating 800 calories a day - more like 1600, working out only 3 times a week for an hour doing strength training, and eating carbs every day. Different strokes for different folks I guess. But there is no need to starve yourself, workout that much, or cut out carbs...unless you really want to - then knock yourself out.
  • xXFireFlyyXx
    xXFireFlyyXx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    eating little to no calories and over exercising is very close to anorexia, my friend whom i have known for a while was that way, only eating 400-800 calories per day but working out enough to lose 1,200 calories... thus meaning your actually depriving your body of nutrition. her nutritionist and my medical training states that doing this does not make you lose weight, in actuality your body will eat your own muscle tissue before it consumes the fat it tries to store for energy... your making yourself highly unhealthy.... if you want to lose your few pounds, eat healthy amounts of food going no less then 1,400 calories per day... otherwise your damaging your body...
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no data showing any significant issues with VLCD plans. People with a BMI over 30 are sometimes put on VLCD plans by their doctor.

800 calories is a little low. You need to at least get the right amount of carbs, fats, protein, and fiber.

People put on VLCD by their doctors, as you mention yourself, typically need to lose a LOT more than 18 pounds, and people with a lot to lose like that have the fat stores to (somewhat) compensate for the lack of calories. Anecdotal evidence by the majority of people I've known eating a VLCD shows hair loss, brittle nails, fatigue, compromised immune system, losing muscle at a faster rate (which leads to the dreaded "skinny fat" look), and, of course, the unsustainability of a VLCD for most people ends up backfiring, especially when they go back to eating "normally" once they reach goal weight. I know people prefer "data" and that's understandable but the personal experience of so many people (myself included) should not be ignored.

800 is more than a little low. There is no reason to go to those extremes. Especially if you aren't carrying around an extra 100 pounds of fuel.

Having said all that, I agree with everyone who says yes, your goal to lose 18 by June is totally realistic! And you don't need to eat that little to get there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that every lowish carb program out there, Paleo, Primal, Atkins, ect, all discuss NOT doing much cardio with their regular plan.

The Primal and Paleo sites both conceded to the fact people did want to do cardio, marathon training and such, and have modified instructions for when people do want to do the "chronic" or "killer" cardio, as they call it.
    Not sure what Atkins calls it, but same principle. Though I thought their advice was to skip it during initialization.

Unless that cardio is in the bad fad named fat-burning zone, it's using decent amounts of carbs, that just can't be converted quick enough from protein at any decent effort.
    Your first big loss of weight was greats amount of water weight, associated with less glucose stored.

That's a stressful situation for your body. Most of those on VLCD's aren't doing much exercise - they can't move much usually yet.

Just a thought to your exercise choice. The exercise isn't going to be the reason for the fat/weight loss anyway, that's about improving your body, which usually has weight gain as side effect.

I'm going for the vote that if this is kept up, you won't lose the 18 lbs by June.

Read the forums, there are so many that have done things so ineffectively that they stalled themselves for 6-12 months easily, or weight loss was a crawl.
    I'm guessing you'll either lose the weight faster, but it'll be muscle mass, and then you'll gain back decent amounts attempting maintenance.
    Or it'll slow to crawl and you won't make it.
    Purposely slow weight loss because of smart knowledgeable decisions is one thing, but the body adapting and forcing it slow because of undereating is totally different.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your goal is realistic but your calorie consumption isn't.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that every lowish carb program out there, Paleo, Primal, Atkins, ect, all discuss NOT doing much cardio with their regular plan.

The Primal and Paleo sites both conceded to the fact people did want to do cardio, marathon training and such, and have modified instructions for when people do want to do the "chronic" or "killer" cardio, as they call it.
    Not sure what Atkins calls it, but same principle. Though I thought their advice was to skip it during initialization.

Unless that cardio is in the bad fad named fat-burning zone, it's using decent amounts of carbs, that just can't be converted quick enough from protein at any decent effort.
    Your first big loss of weight was greats amount of water weight, associated with less glucose stored.

That's a stressful situation for your body. Most of those on VLCD's aren't doing much exercise - they can't move much usually yet.

The goal of most low carb diets is to convert to fat as the primary fuel source, not protein. Low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Marathon runners can operate just fine in a keto-adapted state. Paleo and Primal (at least) advise against chronic cardio because it's overly stressful on the body (and does result in the body going after muscle for fuel), not because the diet doesn't allow for it.

Low carb, low fat, high protein is pretty much only used by niche groups and only for a very small amount of time and for very specific purposes (ie - "the world's toughest diet"). Doing it over any long term is a recipe for nutritional disaster (see also - rabbit starvation).

To the OP - you're already at a healthy weight. Perhaps it would be good to shift your focus from "weight loss" to body composition? Get to maintenance intake and get into a good strength training program. Your weight may not change (or may go up, since you're going from a VLCD), but your clothes should definitely start fitting differently within a few weeks.
  • heybales
    Options
    The goal of most low carb diets is to convert to fat as the primary fuel source, not protein. Low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Marathon runners can operate just fine in a keto-adapted state. Paleo and Primal (at least) advise against chronic cardio because it's overly stressful on the body (and does result in the body going after muscle for fuel), not because the diet doesn't allow for it.

True, that is their claim.

Which is pretty silly considering your primary fuel source is already fat up to the point of cardio being hard enough you go past the 50/50 point.

Well, unless you eat carbs constantly every 2-3 hrs of course.

But if not doing any intense cardio requiring the quick carbs because of not enough oxygen to oxidize fat, it's mostly fat anyway.

But those carb stores will be replenished still during rest at a reduced rate and storage amount.

I've seen the results of some runners that started with keto diets, so never had anything to compare their performance to, and I know you can train your fat-burning aerobic system rather well, Maffetone's whole focus actually. But keto running still does affect performance.
    But for many marathoners, keto or not, it's about finishing with decent time, so performance potential doesn't matter.

My only comment was on the constant daily running the OP stated. I've seen many comment on keeping their existing intense cardio routines, and then switching to Paleo or Primal or Atkins for the diet, but ignoring or missing the exercise recommendations and why they are made. Setting up that stressful condition you comment on.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post this because I have seen dozens of discussions going on about eating too few calories, and I myself have been taunted for my 1400 -1500 calorie intake.

That said, there is one thing you need to be aware of. You still need to hit your macros. That's right, you still need the same amount of nutrients to maintain your body.

I try to get as close as possible to all of my macros. I may be lacking here or there, but generally I do well at getting close.

I don't feel like crap...I have lost 2.4lbs a week consistently with no plateau.

800 calories is a little low. You need to at least get the right amount of carbs, fats, protein, and fiber. You don't need to be depriving your body of essential nutrients.

However, a low calorie diet is just fine for some people. It isn't a bad choice for everybody.

I agree with you here. I try and hit my macro levels and I feel great and losing consistently. After reading hour and hours of posts, some things work for some people and some don't. Seems like no two people will lose the same. As long as you aren't doing something totally crazy and you can stay in the game long enough to figure out what works for you without quitting, things will work out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Marathon runners can operate just fine in a keto-adapted state.
    No, they cannot. There isn't a single competitive endurance athlete out there who doesn't eat tons of carbs. When "low carb" is used in conjunction with high performance athletes, they are referring to "limiting" carbs to 40-50% of caloric intake. IE, on a 2000 calorie intake, you eat 250g of carbs.

That is several universes away from what is being peddled to the public as low carb diets.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm your height, as of today 137 lbs and I eat 1500 calories a day, sometimes more. You can eat more and lose weight eating low carb. Please eat more. It can be done. I started eating keto at the end of july and my starting weight was 165. So yea....
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm just a wee bit taller than you at 5'9" and got 15 lbs lower than your goal on 1400 to 1500 calories a day. This still gave me a deficit of around 500, and I lost about 2 lbs a week after I hit the 160's. I never hit a plateau, and never gained.

I admire your dedication, but honestly there's is no need or purpose for you to eat such a low amount.
  • heybales
    Options
    No, they cannot. There isn't a single competitive endurance athlete out there who doesn't eat tons of carbs. When "low carb" is used in conjunction with high performance athletes, they are referring to "limiting" carbs to 40-50% of caloric intake. IE, on a 2000 calorie intake, you eat 250g of carbs.

That is several universes away from what is being peddled to the public as low carb diets.

Well, there is perhaps a truthful caveat to that.

Does that marathon runner have to actually finish the marathon, or merely running in it up to a point but no finish makes them a marathon runner?

Also, what if they walked it and tripled the cut-off time, does that still count? That I could see easily. Others pull out energy gel, our keto runner pulls out slim-jims. Snap!
  • candiceh3
    Options
    There was a study done (someone after me will post it, I am sure) that worked out that body fat can only contribute about 30 calories of fuel, per day per pound of excess fat.

So if you only have (say) 20 lbs of excess body fat, that means you can only get 600 calories from fat to fuel your body each day.

Any deficit greater than 600 calories will be forced to burn muscle, the opposite of what you want.

This is why our weight loss has to slow as we get closer to our goal.

I think you need to eat about 1600 per day, burn 300 per day, and let the deficit do the rest.

Good luck.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Well, there is perhaps a truthful caveat to that.

Does that marathon runner have to actually finish the marathon, or merely running in it up to a point but no finish makes them a marathon runner?

Also, what if they walked it and tripled the cut-off time, does that still count? That I could see easily. Others pull out energy gel, our keto runner pulls out slim-jims. Snap!
    Yep. Show me an athlete who performs well without carbs, and I'll show you an athlete who performs better with carbs.