Starting Weights

Options
Hello my fellow MFP's!!

I was wondering if someone might help me to create a good weight lifting routine..maybe one that's good for everyday or every other day? I'm running 3 times a week and do the elliptical/bike after I run and I'm getting my cardio well on it's way but my strength is a totally different story.

Any advice will be helpful as I just don't know where to start...I do not have a very strong upper body so I want to try and change that

Thanks All!

Replies

• mandy0304
    mandy0304 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a fitness assessment done at my university and the trainer advised me for toning. She said for arms low weight of 3-5# @ reps of 12, 10, 8 approximately four times a week. Hope this helps! :)
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am completely lost in the gym with all those weight machines, I have no idea what to do with my weight set, and I am completely unmotivated to strength train. Which is why I LOVE Turbo Jam!!!

It comes with a strength training video (45 minutes of full body strength training) that is awesome, and actually, believe it or not, fun! I have only been doing it 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks and am already seeing definition in my arms and shoulders!!!! It starts you off really easy, and as you progress, you can just add heavier weights.

You can buy Turbo Jam on beachbody.com (I should totally be a sales rep for these guys because I brag about their products all the time... but I am not)
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ok so I'm a complete nerd and just wanna get this right...3-5 pds of weight then do rep of 12 then 10 then 8? Don't quite have teh "gym" slang down to a science :)
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello:

There was a thread that was started specifically for women who lift on MFP called Buff in the Buff:women's bodybuilding so you might get help there if you look under search.
    Here are some websites that may be helpful. www.nerdfitness.com which has a beginner workout plan, also stronglifts.com or startingstrenghttraining.com
    I found a great plan in the book The new rules of lifting for women by Lou Schuler. I haven't started as yet (still reading the book) but the strength training plan looks really good. You can probably get this book at your local library if you don't want to buy it or get it from a bookstore.
    Hope this helps. :smile:
  • savannahgur
    Options
    I am completely lost in the gym with all those weight machines, I have no idea what to do with my weight set, and I am completely unmotivated to strength train. Which is why I LOVE Turbo Jam!!!

It comes with a strength training video (45 minutes of full body strength training) that is awesome, and actually, believe it or not, fun! I have only been doing it 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks and am already seeing definition in my arms and shoulders!!!! It starts you off really easy, and as you progress, you can just add heavier weights.

You can buy Turbo Jam on beachbody.com (I should totally be a sales rep for these guys because I brag about their products all the time... but I am not)

I have some of the other beachbody items, I'm suprised I did not run into this, I will check it out..thank you :)
  • savannahgur
    Options
    Hello:

There was a thread that was started specifically for women who lift on MFP called Buff in the Buff:women's bodybuilding so you might get help there if you look under search.
    Here are some websites that may be helpful. www.nerdfitness.com which has a beginner workout plan, also stronglifts.com or startingstrenghttraining.com
    I found a great plan in the book The new rules of lifting for women by Lou Schuler. I haven't started as yet (still reading the book) but the strength training plan looks really good. You can probably get this book at your local library if you don't want to buy it or get it from a bookstore.
    Hope this helps. :smile:

Awesome! thank you.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    This isn't a strength training routine but my husband did teach me one move that is really effective on a bunch of upper body muscles at once - its incredibly simple - start with a low weight dumbbell (I started using cans of soup) hold one in each hand and standing straight, shoulders back, abs in, raise your arms from your side to slightly higher than a 90 degree angle (imagine making the letter "t" with your body then raise your arms slightly higher than shoulder level). Hold this position while deep breathing, pulling your abs in each time you exhale. Hold this position as long as you can, working up to three minutes. Increase weights as it gets easier. Sounds ridiculous but I swear it works biceps triceps, back muscles and abs.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    ok so I'm a complete nerd and just wanna get this right...3-5 pds of weight then do rep of 12 then 10 then 8? Don't quite have teh "gym" slang down to a science :)
    [/quote

Yeah I would definately advise you to check out the book The new rules of lifting for women. One thing the author points out is how we as women tend to stick to the small weights when we can do so much more. In the end we don't do much for our bodies because we don't advance to the bigger weights(more than 10). It's great because he dispells so many things that may keep us from wanting to lift weights when strength training is so good for us.
  • savannahgur
    Options
    This isn't a strength training routine but my husband did teach me one move that is really effective on a bunch of upper body muscles at once - its incredibly simple - start with a low weight dumbbell (I started using cans of soup) hold one in each hand and standing straight, shoulders back, abs in, raise your arms from your side to slightly higher than a 90 degree angle (imagine making the letter "t" with your body then raise your arms slightly higher than shoulder level). Hold this position while deep breathing, pulling your abs in each time you exhale. Hold this position as long as you can, working up to three minutes. Increase weights as it gets easier. Sounds ridiculous but I swear it works biceps triceps, back muscles and abs.

Now THIS sounds like something I could totally do :) Thank you so much! I will try it tonight
  • savannahgur
    Options
    [/quote

Yeah I would definately advise you to check out the book The new rules of lifting for women. One thing the author points out is how we as women tend to stick to the small weights when we can do so much more. In the end we don't do much for our bodies because we don't advance to the bigger weights(more than 10). It's great because he dispells so many things that may keep us from wanting to lift weights when strength training is so good for us.

I'm up for any advice..I'll check it out
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Oh, this I want to try. Thanks :flowerforyou:
    Cathy