Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...considering this myself...

...if I can get over the claustrophobic part of it.

Hydrostatic testing isn't confined. It's like the dunk tank at a fair except it's you that gets dunked. The hard part is blowing out all the air in your lungs underwater, holding still and fighting that urge that you need to breath NOW!

One of us doesn't fully understand the various aspects of claustrophobia.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    In...

Hydrostatic testing isn't confined. It's like the dunk tank at a fair except it's you that gets dunked. The hard part is blowing out all the air in your lungs underwater, holding still and fighting that urge that you need to breath NOW!

Well by definition: Claustrophobia (from Latin claustrum "a shut in place" and Greek φόβος, phóbos, "fear") is the fear of having no escape and being closed in small spaces or rooms.

The dunk tank is a large open topped container full of warm water with a steel chair attached to a chain attached to the scale. You sit crosslegged on the chair, with your head above water. When you are ready you put your head under the water, blow out all your air and hold that for a few seconds. You have total control over putting your head back above water. You are never put down to a depth that you can't just sit up straight and be out. If you can do it on the first try then that's it. Most people need a few tries to get it. I guess your definition of claustrophobia is different.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In...

Well by definition: Claustrophobia (from Latin claustrum "a shut in place" and Greek φόβος, phóbos, "fear") is the fear of having no escape and being closed in small spaces or rooms.

The dunk tank is a large open topped container full of warm water with a steel chair attached to a chain attached to the scale. You sit crosslegged on the chair, with your head above water. When you are ready you put your head under the water, blow out all your air and hold that for a few seconds. You have total control over putting your head back above water. You are never put down to a depth that you can't just sit up straight and be out. If you can do it on the first try then that's it. Most people need a few tries to get it. I guess your definition of claustrophobia is different.

The one I had done was not in a chair. You lay face down in a big bathtub thingie filled with warm water - on top of a sling type device that you hold onto. You then put your head underwater, while exhaling and hold yourself under until "all" the air is expelled.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The one I had done was not in a chair. You lay face down in a big bathtub thingie filled with warm water - on top of a sling type device that you hold onto. You then put your head underwater, while exhaling and hold yourself under until "all" the air is expelled.

Same here.

And as far as claustrophobia -- I scuba dive and I've seen folks with the mildest (in their words) fear of confined spaces simply not be able get more than several feet under water, or succeed but hate the experience.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this myself. I hope you'll post some feedback once you've done this.

This^
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!

Dav, the pricing at the Irvine location is $60 and I stay around Santa Ana for a few days every other week or so. So it wouldn't be terribly expensive or inconvenient.

Fitness Wave is all right. I used the Irvine location. If you are doing the BF% test, you might as well do the BMR one too. If you're interested that is. Also, don't schedule a meeting or plan on going back to work after the test as you'll need to get home to shower. No showers there.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure to schedule it for after I get out of work. How long do the tests take?

I was there for 40mns cuz I was first in the morning, no wait. you'll be lying face down in a small container full of water and be asked to breathe out and hold your breath like others have described. The hardest part is to feel comfortable submerged in water in a small space and holding your breath for a while. While the results surprised me, to be honest, it's a piece of info that didn't help me much. An act strictly driven by curiosity.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Dav, the pricing at the Irvine location is $60 and I stay around Santa Ana for a few days every other week or so. So it wouldn't be terribly expensive or inconvenient.

Fitness Wave is all right. I used the Irvine location. If you are doing the BF% test, you might as well do the BMR one too. If you're interested that is. Also, don't schedule a meeting or plan on going back to work after the test as you'll need to get home to shower. No showers there.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure to schedule it for after I get out of work. How long do the tests take?

I was there for 40mns cuz I was first in the morning, no wait. you'll be lying face down in a small container full of water and be asked to breathe out and hold your breath like others have described. The hardest part is to feel comfortable submerged in water in a small space and holding your breath for a while. While the results surprised me, to be honest, it's a piece of info that didn't help me much. An act strictly driven by curiosity.

Just reading about this makes me panicky...but I'm still planning to do this...next time the mobile unit is in my neighborhood.
  • cchuran
    Options
    Bod Pos testing is efficient and under certain conditions and with experienced testers, can be pretty accurate. You sit in a small chamber and breathe lightly. Now this testing requires you to be hydrated, with minimal clothing, and can have sources of error. If you have hairy legs or arms, then there could be a small amount of error, but not a large amount. I think you should keep trying and I recommend looking for local universities to see if any studies offer this or a DEXA.
    I hope this helps you out,
    I interested in more topics on exercise, please refer to this ebook: http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Your-Health-Chris-Churan-ebook/dp/B00H1C8WAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386208485&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+churan
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Just reading about this makes me panicky...but I'm still planning to do this...next time the mobile unit is in my neighborhood.

Maybe contact the mobile unit and see if they have pictures on a website (or could email you) of what they use. If it is a dunk tank thing, maybe think of doing some practice runs in the tub or in a pool for the submerging part of it?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In...

Is that Bodpod claustrophobic, or underwater in tight container letting all your air out claustrophobic?
    Which I think should have another more serious term for that.

Let's see, Google phobia underwater no air - huh, just panic attacks.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In...

Is that Bodpod claustrophobic, or underwater in tight container letting all your air out claustrophobic?
    Which I think should have another more serious term for that.

Let's see, Google phobia underwater no air - huh, just panic attacks.

Underwater tight container w/out air...ophobic.

*shudder*