How to add a bit more protein to this breakfast?

Options
My normal Breakfast has been created to help introduce thyroid/PCOS 'helpful' foods into my diet from first thing in the morning - So I don't really want to change the basis of the breakfast, to say, an omelet, or similar if possible. At the moment breakfast is about 8g or protein, Ideally I would like it to be anywhere between 15-20g - but will 'settle' for a little less, as I can easily add protein to other meals.

I dont want to use protein powders, most are soy based and not recommended for those with PCOS - likewise for the moment, I would prefer it to come in a relatively natural or minimally (if neccessary) processed state.

SO - What I currently have

***Fresh/Frozen Blueberries 100g, 53cal, 1protein, 12Carb, 2Fibre
***Brazil Nuts, 10 g, 66cal, 1Protein, 1Carb, 1Fibre
***Ground Cinnamon 0.5 tsp, 3cal, 0Protein, 1Carb, 1Fibre
Strawberries 100 g, 32cal, 1Protein, 8Carb, 2Fibre
Yoghurt 100g, 114cal, 5Protein, 8Carb, 0Fibre

268cal, 8g Protein, 30g Carb, 6g Fibre

The items marked with an asterisk must stay.
Today I used Kangaroo Island Natural Sheep Milk Yoghurt - but what i uses varies, it always tends to be natural/organic, whole milk, no added sugar type yoghurt - Open to suggestions if you can think of a higher protein alternative (that's not a 'skim' alternative)
The 'supplementary fruit' also changes depending what looks good at the time, 50gstewed apple / 50gmango is another regularly used combination with the blueberries. Open to suggestions here too.

So, Ideally, I would like something that works well WITH this dish & not needing to have a 2 part breakfast. Hoping it will be light on carbs too preferably - My mind is just particularly blank outside of meat/eggs/cheese right now - and I'm not so sure any of them fit nicely with my meal.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Replies

• GBPack93
    Options
    Switch the regular yogurt for greek, much more protein
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Yep, Greek yogurt. Or swap the yogurt entirely for cottage cheese. Maybe fry a small ham steak and have it on the side, or have some leftover chicken. Enjoy a couple slices of bacon (turkey if it fits your calorie goals better). Find a chicken sausage brand you like and have a patty or a couple of links.
  • nailasmomma
    nailasmomma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, greej yogurt is PACKED with protein. just looked in my fridge and the one I've got is fat free and has 22 grams of protein per serving (1 cup).
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is 57kcal and 10g protein per 100g so you could gain another 5g of protein by swapping that in. You could eat more for even more protein as it's lower calorie than your current yoghurt. (edit: and it's 4g carbs)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Switch your Brazil nuts to roasted edamame; 1 oz is 130 cals & 14 grams protein. I also agree with switching to Greek yogurt.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    oats and like others have suggested, Greek yogurt. Life changing stuff. Also a lot thicker/delicious in my opinion.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Natural vs greek isnt an issue - i use both - by 'natural' i didnt mean 'natural style' vs greek style - just not made up with a heap of fillers etc. So long as it is organic & no added sugar - it doesnt bother me if it is 'natural' or 'greek'
    Most greek yoghurts I find are only 1g protein more per 100g than the yoghurt i used this morning, per 100g. In fact some seem to have LESS protein than the natural/organic choices I do use.
    In the end, they both start out as whole milk & cultures.
    I will however keep my eyes out for one that does have a much higher protein content - if anyone has a specific brand they recommend - would love to hear it.

@DocPremmie - Brazil nuts are not an option to switch out, as i said in my OP. I have these for their high selenium content which is important to me and my conditions.
    Also, Endamame are not an option as they are soy, I hadnt considered this (or heard of it) so had to do a quick read up before i replied to your suggestion. Thankyou.

@NailasMumma & @Mortuseon - I avoid things marked 'fat free' - so choosing a 'fat free' greek yoghurt isnt something I am prepared to do to get the extra protein. I hadnt actually heard of fage, I had to google that one too!

Brazil nuts are not an option to switch out, as i said in my OP. I have these for their high selenium content which is important to me and my conditions.

@Amyrebbeccah - For 10g I get 2-3 brazil nuts. I stop at that as that is enough for the selenium boost I want. I quite happily add other nuts at times if i wish, but tend to use them during the day - particularly macadamias, almonds and walnuts.

@CharyChary - thanks, i don't have oats in my cupboard at the moment - so they completely slipped my mind. even just 25g will add another 4g of protein, 16.5g of carbs - I had been having quinoa porridge but the carbs were just too high - i guess using a small amount of Quinoa would also work in place of oats. Thankyou.

@Avskk - Love the idea of swapping it entirely for cottage cheese - I havent had it for agews & my tastebuds have changed considerably - but i never use to find it particularly fabulous - Is there anything you do to make ti more palatteable - or will mixing it up with these things be enough do you think? (Having said that - will be buying some next time im in the shops regardless - but if you have tips, very glad to hear them)

Hope i havent missed anyone - thanks for all of your replies!
  • littlelexical
    Options
    Thanks @Amyrebbecah - Is it really really silly I have never compared food by caloric value?! I look at the per 100g serving and go by that - but you are SO right, by comparing protein per caloric value, it really changes what is possible... I feel like such a dunce for not realising/thinking this sooner - Sorry to the guys above with my blinkers in regards to greek vs natural in this regard.

As for swapping out the fruit, for more yoghurt, I think I would prefer to keep the fruit in, and in the morning & make up more protein later in the day if needed - the later in the day i eat fruit, the more i tend to crave sugar - if i have it first thing in the morning i tend to avoid that niggly 'craving' feeling all day & still get my '2ish serves' of fruit. -Now you have pointed out the compare by calorie vs quantity thing though - I think swapping to greek, or cottage cheese Should see me able to both keep the fruit & get a little more protein in.

You guys are fantastic - thanks :) I still have so much to learn!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Swap out the yogurt and strawberries for a banana and 3 egg whites. Mash up the banana, egg whites and cinnamon together to make a batter. Cook the batter like a pancake. Mash up the blueberries, adding a bit of water if necessary to use as "syrup". Chop up the Brazil nuts and sprinkle on top as garnish. Eat. Yum.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Add in a boiled egg or two.
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @Elisabeisme - Banana isnt particularly high in protein, but is in carbs, as much as love them - they are not something i can afford to incorporate daily.
    However a plain egg omlette/pancake with the yogurt (part mixed into the 'batter' and part as topping) blackberries, nuts & cinnamon could be quite nice! Definitely something to try, thankyou.

@Reality_is_harsh - I dont think boiled eggs would really 'go' so well :) I do use them as my morning/afternoon snacks quite often though. Thanks.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    "Go" well? Breakfast isn't a fashion show. :P
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    so make it with half a banana. that's just 15 carbs. you are eating 16 carbs between your yogurt and strawberries anyway.....