Price of eggs

Options
1234568»

Replies

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

You're shocked at the price of those eggs (I am too, frankly, as that's almost twice as much as my cheapest store sells them for!), but I'm shocked that someone actually grocery shops without paying one whit of attention to the price of the food that's going into her cart! I'm 100% the opposite of that and I could not shop like you do. I know down to the dollar amount what my total will be before I even get in line at the store. It comes from a history of frugality--how I was raised, and then from necessity, and now it's because of all our bills we have to pay every month, our food bill is the most flexible, so I play a game with myself each month to see how little I can pay for my family's food.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I bought 4 20 packs for 2/$5 last month.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

You sir are FABULOUS!!! :drinker: I'm an egg snob too!

That being said, near me (supermarket) or local farm- both about $2.50. Hurts too...love me some eggies!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I raised chickens and sold eggs for a while. Unless your raising chickens in a cages like on big farms it is hard to get eggs for less than $1.60 a doz.. Remember at least 30% of Organic Egg Cost is for government regulations. And in most states there is no such thing as Free Range being the same as Organic.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Same here. I really wish I could keep my own chickens.

No, you don't, they're a giant pain in the *kitten*.

Trust me on this...

:laugh:

No they're not. Trust me on this....

I already know this...my parents have laying hens. Unless you consider the fight to keep coons from taking them, they're less PITA than my wife's dog...or cat...or guinea pig. In fact, I'd say they're the easiest pet/livestock/producer to raise/tend.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    agreed...lol some people have money to blow, but im not one of them..regardless, you are eating their babies so just because marketing has made you think that your somewhat better because you only eat the babies of chickens who are treated well is idiotic...Im not believing the hype, they taste the same to me too.

Umm.. no. :huh: :noway:
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I raise my own chickens and love their eggs. In winter, as the sun is out for fewer hours each day, the girls go from laying one egg every day to one egg every week or two. This is natural, and even artificial light that is used by mass-producers doesn't bring production completely back to the normal high level experienced during longer days.

In November I got 15-18 eggs per day; now I get 4-5 eggs per day. In addition, keep in mind that it costs about .86 per day to feed my flock of 17 during warmer days when they can forage. With snow on the ground, I have to supplement their food with additional grains as they need a layer of fat to stay warm.

Hope this sheds some light on why eggs are so expensive.

Yep-that makes perfect sense!

On a side note-same chain of grocery store but a different location is having a weekend sale.... 69c/dozen....

And to the person who couldn't believe I don't know the cost of the items I put in my cart-I guess I should have said-I don't spend a lot of money on my food-I DO try to stick to a budget but when it comes to the STAPLES in my kitchen I simply pick up the items I need.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It was quite an interesting read! Oh-and most of the eggs I buy are for baking anyway (which I probably shouldn't even be doing anyway-lol)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Trust me on this...

If you ever want to keep a few chickens in your home/yard, see www.backyardchickens.com.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I currently have two chooks in the backyard (built the coop myself from reject wood from the local sawmill and recycled bits of this and that - I think the only thing I paid for was the nails and roofing screws - and a roast dinner to the friend who helped me dig the holes for the footings and put the roof on [can't stand heights].

The chooks eat layer pellets (about $15 for a 20 kilo bag) enough to keep two chickens very happy for quite a while plus kitchen scraps and leftovers.

And every day I collect two beautiful fresh eggs.

But yes I've noticed the prices at the local shop - absolutely ridiculous.

Price quoted in AU$ I'm guessing :wink:

Good guess - what gave it away? Because I call a chook a chook?
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I used to buy the free-range natural eggs and paid anywhere from $4 and up. I didn't notice a big difference. Not worth the price, IMO.

Pretty sure the point of buying free-range eggs isn't about the taste, but about the ethics of how animals are raised. That's what makes it "worth the price." (Although, I often wonder how "free range" grocery store eggs with that label actually are--that's why I get mine from a farm.)

Wonder no more ;)http://tbnranch.com/2011/11/21/industrial-egg-production-the-facts/

These are actually MY free range hens: http://twobairdsproofit.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/around-the-farms/ There are some other animals in there as well... we don't eat them :p
  • featherbrained
    Options

Trust me on this...

I already know this...my parents have laying hens. Unless you consider the fight to keep coons from taking them, they're less PITA than my wife's dog...or cat...or guinea pig. In fact, I'd say they're the easiest pet/livestock/producer to raise/tend.

^^^ This. Unless, of course, you're anal retentive about landscaping. Or having to check your shoes before entering the house. :laugh:
  • featherbrained
    Options
    And I just want to say, I am not an egg snob. Or an organic snob. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to have my own chickens, and I wish everyone had the same opportunity. But grocery stores exist for a reason!

I don't buy organic, ever. Not because I don't think it's a good idea, but because I know it's pretty useless. You can't raise organic food and make a profit, so producers do what they must do to meet governmental guidelines, and that's it. So I personally am not paying more for food that is only marginally better (maybe) than the regular produced food. But if YOU wish to do that, that's you're right.

Alot of the difference between store/home raised eggs in taste/color is a simple matter of freshness. Those bright orange yokes and heavier eggs are because the egg hasn't undergone the evaporation that an egg that's sat in a cooler on a barge somewhere for a month, has. Egg shells are porous. And mass production thoroughly cleans each egg, thus stripping it of its natural microbial barrier (the bloom) that keeps the good stuff in and the bad stuff out. I don't chemically treat my eggs. I keep my coop and nests clean, and the occasional poopy egg (literally one or two a week from a clueless hen that forgot to wipe her feet before coming to work ;) ) goes to a dog or cat. I rinse each egg with hot water before using it, and with antibacterial soap if I intend to eat it raw.

And again, when I said "free eggs", I was being glib :) Like I said before, I pay more than any of you pay for your storebought eggs for mine... maybe... I've worked out all costs, from coop to electric, and sans labor, I pay roughly 10c per egg. This decreases every day that I have my chickens, as startup costs are gradually absorbed. But it ain't about money. It's the enjoyment I get from animal husbandry. They make me laugh evey single day ;)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

<3 I own 13 chickens. My cost ( for feed) is $1.63 and $2.57 per dozen eggs. The local farm market charges $4 per dozen for them. I cannot remember when I ate an egg that was more than a week old.

LOL! Sorry, I see now that I was unclear. I buy an $18 (50#) bag of feed every 2 weeks. I get anywhere from 6-11 eggs per day from 13 chickens.

When I have extras, I take them to the local farm market. They charge $4 per dozen ( $1 to charity, $3 to me), and have trouble keeping them in stock.