Some people aren't built to run....HUH????

Options
2»

Replies

• mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes! This! Foam rollers are just about miraculous!

Also, to be honest, as someone who has started running only two weeks earlier than you have (and someone who works at a gym at the front desk) If you are going to run, and take your workout to the next level, you also need to take your stretching to the next level. This is where even one half-hour session with a trainer who knows how to teach stretching, or with a stretching clinic, or a good friend who is a runner can really help.

I believe some people are built to run faster than others, and maybe you won't be qualifying for the Boston Marathon this year, but that doesn't mean running isn't worthwhile, that it can't be a great source of fitness and stress relief to you and also burn mad calories. Get some help doing it right, which might mean joining a running club or hiring a trainer for a few sessions, but it might also mean getting a stride analysis or getting running shoes fitted at a running store to fit your needs and pronation.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    What does the foam roller do?

I have also had problems with running. I have been fitted for shoes, tried different brands, and I end up with visible bruises on my calgs when I run on pavement. I'm ok on the treadmill though. I also have loose joints so I constant sprain my ankles just by putting my foot down the wrong way so running tends to make me nervouse because that is painful!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    there are 2 types of people , people who hate to run and people who hate to run and say they love it... :)
  • melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is something I've struggled with in the past. I have a family history of torn knee ligaments, which are brought on by excessive running. So I skip the running and go for hiking or biking that I still enjoy and are easier on my knees. I also make sure to keep my knees strong.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not built to run. And it's not boobs, injuries, asthma, shin splints or lack of patience, I just have always hated it and been bad it. I've tried C25K, foam rolling, Chi Running and gait analysis. I'm good at all other cardio I've done and have great cardio health, as measured in a lab. I walk a ton. I have sisters that have the same feelings about running. Y'all can work toward that goal all you want. I wish you the best.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not built to run either, really. I enjoy it, but it always ends up hurting my knees eventually. Many people I've known who have been runners have had some form of injury as a result, but often that's because they're not moving heavy weights to build up the muscles needed to support that 3-times-their-body-weight-coming-down-on-their-joints thing. Yeah. There's sure as hell no way I'm built to force my knees to bear the brunt of three times my body weight for an extended period of time several times a week.

Now, that said:

I really, really, REALLY enjoy sprinting. I can handle short bursts of high speed for short periods of time. One thing I love about it is that, unlike traditional cardio, my legs give out well before my legs do because sprinting is largely anaerobic. Still not sure of how it will affect my joints, though.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You see every shape and size imaginable at races. If most of us weren't "built to run" you wouldn't see that variety. I like running and I know that I never will be particularly fast or graceful or have the endurance to run really long distances. But I have been able to make significant improvements in less than a year. I could barely run a mile without stopping, and now 6 miles isn't that difficult. My pace earlier this year was over 13 min/mile and now I am under 12 min/mile for long runs and under 11 min/mile for shorter runs.

I went through something similar recently with my left calf. Anytime I ran 5 miles or more it would tighten up so much that I would hobble around for 2 days. I started stretching and doing calf raises daily. My husband (a very experienced marathoner) said that it would improve as my body got used to the new distance. This started about a month ago, or a little more. I ran 6 miles on Saturday, and have had no tightness at all! I never tried the foam roller so I can't give any advice on that. Stretch, get fitted for shoes if you haven't done so anyways and stick with it. It will get better!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You see every shape and size imaginable at races. If most of us weren't "built to run" you wouldn't see that variety.
    I agree that it's not "most of us" who aren't built to run. I've been hanging out at fitness forums for 10 years and almost never run across others who say it. I'm shocked to see so many here. And a bit comforted. :embarassed:
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Before I even start, let me say I am not a professional, a running coach or a fitness expert. This my opinion based on my experiences...so with that...

I don't buy that someone isn't "built to run". Granted, the heavier you are the harder it is, but if I can run, anyone can. I too had the usual pains when I first started and it's your body telling you that those muscles haven't been used very much! There are some good strength programs out there for runners that target key areas that runners need (ie..core, hips, etc..).

Other issues could be your running form, where you run and what you run in. If you seriously want to be a runner, then I'd recommend getting fitted for a good pair of running shoes. Go to your local running specialty store. Not only will they help you find a good pair of shoes, but the can evaluate how you run to determine things like if you overpronate etc.. If you have shin splints it's most likely due to your shoes or the way you run. Your local running store might also offer a good form running clinic, so ask.

If you're running on the streets, stay off the sidewalks if at all possible. Concrete is much harder than asphalt and your body gets beat up even more by running on sidewalks. Some don't have that luxury, but if you do, try to run on the asphalt.

Lastly, and this is the best piece of advice I have gotten, listen to your body. If you're still hurting, don't run. And know the difference between hurting and sore. You can still run if you're legs are sore. It's not a good idea to run if you have sharp pains.

Good luck! After 40 years, I discovered the joy of running and I hope you do the same!
  • wildirishrose162
    wildirishrose162 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I have also had problems with running. I have been fitted for shoes, tried different brands, and I end up with visible bruises on my calgs when I run on pavement. I'm ok on the treadmill though. I also have loose joints so I constant sprain my ankles just by putting my foot down the wrong way so running tends to make me nervouse because that is painful!

Basic basic terms... a foam roller helps with tight and sore muscles.

I want to say that I got fitted for shoes and they were never the right ones for me. I'd take them home run a few short runs in them and my feet would be miserable. It wasn't till I was talking to a personal trainer and told her how frustrated I was with my shoe issues that I found what worked for me. I went from having blisters at all times to never having another and I'm in love with my sneakers so don't give up yet. Also I'd talk to your doctor about your ankles. I sprained mine really badly about two years ago, so bad I was in an air cast for a month, couldn't do anything but lift and walk for two months. The doctor gave me great exercises to do for it and while there are times I still tweak it and its a little weaker then my other the exercises helped greatly.

To the original poster.... I don't have any advice on the pain, I'm not an expert. I did want to say I'm sure you can become a runner. When I started out I ran a 5k in about 40 min(yes I walked a lot). Now I run a 5k in about 26 minutes and I'm working to get into the low 20 minute range. I also run half marathons, mud runs and everything in between. Now I can't believe it used to take me so long to run a 5k, it seems like another person in another body. All the pieces have fallen into place one by one, it didn't happen all at once but it happened.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

self myo-fascial release.

it's a form of deep tissue massage that helps releave tension and break down scar tissue (so they say) both foam rolling and ART massage has really helped me with preventing certain injuries- rehabbing/recovering injuries and performance itself.

You can use a wine bottle- baseball bat LAX ball, baseball whatever you have lying around that's round and will roll.- the foam ones are a little more gentle- if you are uber tight- a wine bottle, hard ball or PVC pipe might make you cry (if I haven't rolled in a while- I'm practically in tears) it's painful- it's not always pleasant- but the results are unquestionable.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There are people whose natural body makeup makes them more inclined to distance running, over sprinting, or vice versa, but generally speaking EVERYONE with working limbs and no medical issues preventing it is built to do some form of running--whether it's sprinting or distance running. You may just be more of a sprinter. And nothing wrong with that at all.
  • lcransaw
    Options
    I don't believe I'm built to run. I can do other excercise, including high intensity stuff like netball, I swim, walk etc. Running will trigger my asthma fast, plus it makes my boobs, ,joints, legs and back hurt.

I probably wasn't born 'not built to run' but it's certainly not a good idea now. Running just doesn't suit some people, IMO.

This for me exactly. Running is too harsh. I have to do activities that are less damaging on my joints. I will say that fast paced walking has gotten a little easier now that I have lost weight. So, maybe the burning is coming from the impact of your body weight on your legs and calf muscles. I have heard that shoes are crucial for runners, so maybe try talking to a running shoe professional. Good Luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I'm built to run. I can do other excercise, including high intensity stuff like netball, I swim, walk etc. Running will trigger my asthma fast, plus it makes my boobs, ,joints, legs and back hurt.

I probably wasn't born 'not built to run' but it's certainly not a good idea now. Running just doesn't suit some people, IMO.

This for me exactly. Running is too harsh. I have to do activities that are less damaging on my joints. I will say that fast paced walking has gotten a little easier now that I have lost weight. So, maybe the burning is coming from the impact of your body weight on your legs and calf muscles. I have heard that shoes are crucial for runners, so maybe try talking to a running shoe professional. Good Luck!

Being too heavy to be able to safely load the joints in a high impact manner without causing them excessive stress does constitute one of those medical excuses I mentioned in my answer. The truth is a lifetime of not taking care of yourself can affect your body in ways that will prevent you from being able to safely engage in some activities you would have been able to otherwise. It may be too late for you to become a "runner" at this point without causing yourself pain and possibly injury, but you can still keep active.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner but I am finishing week 3 of C25K and I a loving the workout! My calves actually hurt the day between my runs and not during. Kudos to you for trying.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Is it maybe shin splints?
    I get the worst shin splints when I run. I CAN run...for example yesterday ran 5 k, but suffer for it the next day with lots of calf pain and usually can't run two days in a row.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think we need to shift the focus here. Humans ARE built to run, that's just an evolutionary fact. However, some humans are built to be better runners than others. I'm a big lumbering Oaf. Most of my runs are around 3 miles. If I want to extend my distance any further than that I have to really train for it, which I'm in the process of doing. Where as my Adventure Race partner can rattle off 10 miles without so much as walkng to the mailbox for training. If I lived in an acient community my job would be to carry the hunted game back to the village, not chase it down.

All that being said when I started running I had bad knees and asthama. Both of those things improved with slow increases in distances and speed with running.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Do you wear high heels often? Women who wear high heels all the time get a shortened toghter calf muscle. I had this problem and I had calf pain when I started. It does go away, but you need to make sure you are gradually easing into it. I also did C25K. It's actually the perfect was to do it.

I saw podiatrist who gave me some tips:

1. Foam roll before you go. It works better than stretching beforehand because it releases the fibers of the calf muscle rather than pulling on your Achilles' tendon. You're not supposed to stretch tendons until they are warmed up. The doc gave a tip that a kitchen rolling pin works really well. Throw a towel over the back of your legs and go to town with the rolling pin on the muscle.

2. Don't try to start with a "zero drop"/minimalist/flat running shoes. Start with a regular running shoe that has a large heel drop (heel is higher than toes) until your calf muscles get longer and more limber.

3. Take a shower and run the hot water over your legs BEFORE your run to heat up the calves. Feels weird to shower right before getting sweaty but it helps. You could probably use a heating pad too, but I use the shower method as I change into my workout clothes.

4. Don't be afraid to do a double-long warm up walk if 5 minutes isn't enough.

6. Add calf raises to your workout routine on your non-running days.