Would you take a job that pays

Options

Replies

• dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I'm not in the position to need to do that. If I were to find myself out of work and needing to pay the mortgage and put food on the table for my kids? I'd do just about anything at any wage to do so.

It does speak to the general trend of this country (I'm assuming US) that people are so adamant about not working for a certain wage, rather living off unemployment as it pays better. Pretty sure that's not how it was intended to be used.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I drive twice that far total every day. But I also make several times that amount. No way would I do it for that pay.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If you've passed your fourh grade math class then you should be able to correctly answer this question.

If you didn't pass it then I guess congrats on your new job.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Only if they pay for your gas to and from work, and provide you with a company car lol even then....no
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen. There's no need to travel far to obtain one.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    I have a good afternoon job, but it's a set amount of low hours with good pay : (
    I could quit my afternoon for a local job that's a 12hr shift , average about 42 hours each week.
    and make more than the long distance job.

: (
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

In the 80's I was making good money. $20/hr. Great money at that time. Lost my job. Went to a Temp Agency the next day. Got a temp job that was only paying $5 /hr. That's all there was out there. Had to make some adjustments, but I did. That job led to a permanent job. To a Management position. To where I am today.

It's easier to find a job when you have one.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why when you can earn up to $1,000/week stuffing envelopes from home?!?!?!?:laugh:
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I currently do a 50 mile round trip for £9.35 per hour. I like the job but its tiring. If you know you will still look for another job, do it. If not then don't
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    No way, especially with how bad the economy is now.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    How is the commute? All (or mostly) highway?? Is there public transportation? Is there an opporunity for advancement? Other tangible or intangible benefits? Lots of these variables go into this kind of decision. Since my commute is over 30 miles each way, every day, I understnad the hassles. So all of the factors need to be considered. Best of luck with your decision.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    The said they would have to hire me as "Seasonal" Then after 90 days I could get a .35 cents raise.
    Hard to say if room for advancement.
    BTW currently have part time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

This is the only acceptable response I've seen thus far. If you can get a similar job with a similar wage closer to home, then get one. If you can't, don't be part of the lazy, selfish, unambitious masses who think it's cool to live on government assistance like you have some divine right not to have to flip burgers for a paycheck.

I couldn't even begin to calculate all the hours I spent working for FREE when I was in college. And I had no shortage of full-time job offers when I graduated.

Some humility and a little bit of work ethic will get you a lot farther than stubbornly insisting you are too good to work for minimum wage, and I say that more for the people responding in this thread than for the OP.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If it is my best option, yes.

I would also do it if the job provided something I wanted besides money, such as experience in a particular field or I found the work greatly fulfilling and had the time/money to spare for it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Is this a paper route?
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    No Retail
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Right now? Hell no. But then again I've invested a lot of time and effort into my career to get to a position where I'm earning a heck of a lot more than that.

If I lost my job tomorrow and this was the only option to keep a roof over my family's head and food in their bellies? Yes, in a heart beat. I'd then start working my *kitten* off to do it all over again, and you can bet that in ten years I'd be a district or regional manager (assuming this is a fast food joint we are talking about) pulling down a decent wage again.

Life kicks you in the teeth, you kick right back.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    really depends on your situation and what you need to do. Off the bat...no, but if you need the income and it's full time maybe.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's just a one time 64 mile round trip for new hire paperwork, right? Then I get to work from home doing live chat help for a website and get incentives for good customers, right? I'd totally take that job. If that's not the job we're talking about, then no. Like someone else said, I don't leave the house for less than $20/hour and I better be earning some big raises fast if I accept that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    how many miles do you get per gallon on your car