HEALTHY PIZZA ALTERNATIVE!!

Options
janalenee
janalenee Posts: 13 Member
I am posting a recipe I got from one of the girls at work. She is a "clean eating" fanatic!! I have tried the recipe and my family LOVED it!!

Ingredients
1 ea. Flat Out Wrap (any flavor) (http://www.flatoutbread.com/) * Find this by the deli counter @ Kroger/Meijer or any grocery store* Ask for FLAT OUT Wraps they come in all flavors (sun dried tomato, Italian, whole grain..ect. ) They are also great for turkey wraps or lunch options

1/4 c. pizza sauce ( I use Organic Muer Glen) Or whatever you have around with not a ton of salt & sugar.. Anything works!

1/2c. Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese ( small amount)

Any pizza toppings you choose
* We love the turkey pepperoni ( in the pizza section @ the grocery store- 70% less fat then regular pepperoni*
Peppers, onions, pineapple, Canadian bacon, mushrooms.. Whatever you like.. BE CREATIVE.. PUSH VEGGIES WITH THE KIDDIES!

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 1 Flat Out Wrap on a cookie sheet.. ( brush with EVOO & spices lightly if you like) and bake it for 7 mins or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and spread the sauce and cheese on it. You can add any veggies, pepperoni, or whatever else you prefer!
Once you get it "built", bake for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking.. Bottom will easily burn so keep an eye on it!

You get the whole thing all to yourself! :-)
* I suggest doing a pizza buffet and have everyone in your fam make their own and bake up to two at a time on a cookie sheet

Number of Servings: 1

ENJOY!!!:drinker:

Replies

• trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    And if you like a super-thin crust (like I do!) you can use a tortilla as your base. I spray both sides with cooking spray and then lightly brown it in a pan on top of the stove. I then put all of the toppings on, and then put in a 375 degree oven for about 5 or 6 minutes. It's simply divine and very similar to your co-workers recipe -- I don't even bother ordering "real" pizza anymore!
  • 19marie74
    Options
    This sounds really good. I will have to try both ways. I love tortillas but I am part mexican. Thanks for the great ideas. I crave pizza and don't like to buy it because of the calories.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good. I will have to try both ways. I love tortillas but I am part mexican. Thanks for the great ideas. I crave pizza and don't like to buy it because of the calories.

Oh, Marie! I love these pizzas! They have become my Saturday and Sunday lunches. I use the burrito size tortillas, so they're huge, and 200 calories each, but I figure if I had a sandwich on bread, that would be 200 calories as well. Believe me, once you've had this pizza alternative, you won't want regular pizza again!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,411 Member
    Options
    I use the Flatouts to make a chicken gorgonzola that is so good. Do the same thing to the flatout as in your recipe, then top it will diced chicken breast, some red onions, gorgonzola cheese and some diced mushrooms. Bake it for around 5 minutes until the gorgonzola is browned and bubbly. The calories vary depending on how much chicken and how much cheese you use but it's not too bad and really yummy.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I tried the flatout, matter of fact its in my fridge. But I was not crazy about the taste. I got the LITE. I'm going to give the Original one a whirl and see if that will do better for me. But I did love the toppings I put on it!!!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ohhh thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: these sound so yummy I actually don't like the thick pizza bases always went for the thin base but these sound perfect :love:
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have been eating tortilla pizzas since high school, Class of '77!
    We used to get together after school at a friends house and make them.
    Have been making them ever since! I prefer flour tortillas to the Flat Out
    bread. The crunch is awesome!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I've been looking for a healthier alternative to pizza. I'll have to give it a shot this week!!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I LOVE pizza. So I will try this recipe....did I say I love Pizza .! :)))
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza crust from scratch...half of the pizza (4 slices) has about 500 calories or so (crust, sauce, cheese, toppings) but you don't even have to eat 4 slices if you don't want to. Most of my recipe alternatives are not really that different from the real thing because my taste buds crave and prefer the real thing. :flowerforyou:
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Thank you for this. I'll definitely be trying it.

I had a really cool lunch at a restaurant last week. It was a portabella mushroom veggie pizza. OMG, was it good! It was loaded with veggies of all kinds and I couldn't believe how good it was. You can be creative with this. I will be having it again, for sure.
  • bethly
    bethly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice!
    I've been using pita bread for my crusts for ages!

Just watch the cheese ;) If you can get your hands on the Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges, that's the way to go! I think they were only one Weight Watchers point per wedge. Makes a yummy white base!

Remember! Lots of veggies!!!
  • HisLamb
    HisLamb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds very very yummy. I've been looking for an alternative to baked chicken and fish. I'm gonna start clucking or swimming upstream if I don't find something else...lol
  • Riechanster
    Options
    thankyou for the recipe! can't wait to try ^^
  • summerjoy0621
    summerjoy0621 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump... sounds great!
  • flutechick65
    flutechick65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a soy avoider, I like putting soy mozzarella cheese on my pizza, not too much of course. The soy has less bad fat in it and melts and browns great. Always pile on the veggies, just a smidge of meat and I feel like I'm not missing out at all.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Flatout also has a Rosemary and Olive oil "fold it" which is about the same thickness as a pita. They make great crunchy pizza crusts. I have the foldits with just about anything.
  • aimeelynne756
    Options
    this sounds really good. Pizza is one of my weaknesses and will defintely help with my cravings. Thanks for sharing!!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet tried with the Flatouts but will! Another good one to cure that pizza craving is all those toppings on a 100 calorie whole wheat english muffin. I'll make these on Saturdays for me and my son - he loves them too and helps him get in some veggies!
  • ginastnly
    Options
    bump!!!