HEALTHY PIZZA ALTERNATIVE!!

Options

Replies

• ginastnly
    Options
    I have been eating tortilla pizzas since high school, Class of '77!
    We used to get together after school at a friends house and make them.
    Have been making them ever since! I prefer flour tortillas to the Flat Out
    bread. The crunch is awesome!

i love tortilla and i eat them with everything. Do you put them in the oven first like the flatouts?
  • ginastnly
    Options
    And if you like a super-thin crust (like I do!) you can use a tortilla as your base. I spray both sides with cooking spray and then lightly brown it in a pan on top of the stove. I then put all of the toppings on, and then put in a 375 degree oven for about 5 or 6 minutes. It's simply divine and very similar to your co-workers recipe -- I don't even bother ordering "real" pizza anymore!

Oh, thanks for this tip. I love tortilla's and I eat them with everything. I am going to try this pizza alternative with the tortilla for sure!!!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Going to try the pizza buffet - what a good idea!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    hmmm
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sedric
    sedric Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    nice alternative!
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    If you use a tortilla, you don't even have to put it in the oven. Just put the tortilla between two paper towels and microwave for 1 min. to 1 1/2 min. Then add your sauce, cheese, and toppings, then microwave again for another minute or so until the cheese is melted and the toppings are hot. I haven't tried it with anything other than pepperoni, but it sure makes for an easy lunch.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    thanks for this... i am a pizza fiend
  • sedric
    sedric Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Made these last night using Arnold - Select Sandwich Thins - Whole Grain White. They came out great and one roll which makes 2 little pizzas is only 100 calories! Good for that pizza craving I had last night. Thanks
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I start back in Jan :-) x
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I like to use Pillsbury Country style biscuits rolled out as thin as I can get them, sauce and top then slide them on a pre heated pizza stone till their done 150 Cal. for three biscuits, cant beat that

you can even top them with thin apple slices and cinnamon and some sweet n low :)
  • mrsolkid
    mrsolkid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I second using pita bread! Trader Joe's sells a whole wheat pita bread that I usually buy. I prepare it much the same way.
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Bump - sounds yummy! :bigsmile:
  • JCfabulous
    JCfabulous Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love using Flatout Bread to make a fabulous BBQ Chicken Pizza:

1 Flatout Light Bread
    1 tbsp BBQ sauce (this is the sauce for your pizza instead of tomato sauce)
    1/4 Cup Shredded Cheese
    1 Slice Oscar Meyer Brand Turkey Bacon (broken up into pieces)
    Grilled Chicken (as much as you like)
    Green Onion, Cilantro, Red Onion sliced (as much as you like)

Spray your pan with Pam, lay the Flatout Bread "pizza" on top and bake on 350 for 6-10 minutes until edges are crisp.

Enjoy!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just made one using a 100 cal flour tortilla. SOOOOOOOO good!! Here's a pic:

photo.jpg

Only 276 calories for the entire pizza and it is totally filling and super yummy!

Thanks so much for the idea :flowerforyou:
  • skinnymindie
    Options
    Omg this sound great for me... I am totally addicted to Pizza I was trying to figure out a way to eat it without all the calories and carbs Yay
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    bump
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I like to use Pillsbury Country style biscuits rolled out as thin as I can get them, sauce and top then slide them on a pre heated pizza stone till their done 150 Cal. for three biscuits, cant beat that

you can even top them with thin apple slices and cinnamon and some sweet n low :)

That sounds amazing! Thanks!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I've been looking for a healthier alternative to pizza. I'll have to give it a shot this week!!

I made a "pizza roll" alternative and posted the recipe on MFP too, might be worth a shot if you like the taste :)