Losing inches but not weight...help!

Options
Hi there I am 30 year old female, I'm 5'4" and weigh 170lbs. In the past 5 years I have had 3 babies and gained 35lbs, in my pre-pregnancy days I was about 110lbs. I would like to be 125lbs again but am having a very hard time. I am eating healthy consuming about 1300-1400 calories a day I also workout daily for an hour. I run 3-4 miles or get in the elliptical. I have lost inches but not a single pound. Does anyone have any suggestions?! I really could use some I would like to start shedding some weight. I have been working out religiously since August.

Replies

• Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is good - means you're probably losing fat but gaining muscle.. nothing wrong with that. I had to learn that the scale isn't the 'tell all' - your body image is. By that I mean how your clothes feel (loose, etc) - the inches lost as per the measuring tape....
    However - I will ask if you use the TDEE method? I'm the same height and 176lbs - although my loss usually happens sporatically (like 1-2 lbs one week then nothing for a couple of weeks) I've found that most of my loss has occurred since using the TDEE method.

I'm supposed to eat about 1670 cals/day - I rarely get to that amount but I try to get close - maintaining my macros in proteins (which are 0.8 x my body weight) and carbs (I try to keep below 100grams/day).

Just some suggestions...
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh and another tidbit - do you change up your exercise routine? Your body can become 'used' to your exercise - then it just 'stays as is'... perhaps switch it up? I do alot of Leslie Sansone walking at home videos - I change them up every day plus I incorporate either my 2lb 'hand walking weights' or my 5lb dumbells into the walk - to add a bit more burn and some strength exercising into it....
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you need to lose weight if you are losing inches? Wouldn't you rather fit into your old jeans and have a lower body fat percentage than a lower number on the scale?

How long have you been working out? It takes me a couple months on a new routine before the scale goes down. I admit, it can be depressing. But for me, I am more concerned with gaining muscle and losing fat, which will make me lose inches not always weight. I imagine after a while the scale will go down for you.

If you have been doing this a while and still not losing, are you weighing everything? I weigh everything from butter to bread.

Good luck! I am 5'4" and I weigh a bit more than you. It seems like forever, but I believe patience is key. :-)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It takes me a couple months on a new routine before the scale goes down. I admit, it can be depressing. But for me, I am more concerned with gaining muscle and losing fat, which will make me lose inches not always weight. I imagine after a while the scale will go down for you.
    Same here. Wait it out. Be sure on your calorie intake. Try to keep the big picture in mind. The pounds will come off. I think it's got to be a water weight thing. It seems fairly common with women, though. I think it's why many formal programs don't have you add significant exercise until you're a month or two in and have seem some losses to keep you motivated.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's good it means you are losing fat. i seriously doubt you are gaining muscle given your workout especially since muscle is extremely hard to build (if it were that easy to gain on the elliptical then why are bodybuilders busting their butts taking supplements and lifting weights?).

think of it this way, it's not like you're going to drag a scale around with you to show off your weight, right? so if you're getting physically smaller why is the scale number important?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This complaint always puzzles me. Would you rather be visibly smaller or be able to tell people you weigh X amount of pounds? If you are losing inches, whatever you are doing is obviously working. So just revel in the fact that you are smaller than you used to be.
  • kamizink
    Options
    I am happy to be losing inches yes but I want the pounds to come off as well I have extra skin around my belly that I would like to tone up and not only that at some point the inches will stop as well. I have a big goal in mind and I know it can be obtained I just need to figure out how to do it. 170lbs and 5'4" is not healthy no matter how many inches I lose!
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    170 for 5'4 would be healthy if your body fat % is in the normal range!
    The weight will drop off eventually, just give it time! Sometimes if you work out a lot, your muscles will retain a lot of water, that could account for your stagnant weight.
    But weight is not the measure for health, body fat % is, keep checking that number!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is just as good if not better than losing weight.
  • kamizink
    Options
    Yes! But it's not that's my problem my BMI is too high and my percentages are high as well!
  • kamizink
    Options
    Also I'm still in the same size jeans! I'm not settling to be a size 12 forever it's not happening!!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are building muscle at this stage and burning fat at the same time. If this is so, the point you will eventually stop building muscle, and still continue to lose fat will show up as weight loss. If you burn fat while still building muscles, it would show up as inch loss on your body.

Good luck sweetheart.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes! But it's not that's my problem my BMI is too high and my percentages are high as well!

Take BMI with a grain of salt. If I go by BMI I'm obese.

If you're losing inches, then how are you the same size jeans?
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    if you continue working out and restricting calories, you will go down sizes! Just keep doing what you are doing. The weight will catch up!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just read a great article today! If you want tone, you must lift - at least some sort of weight lifting. Muscle is what it's all about.
    If you are losing inches, you should also be dropping your BF%. Are you measuring that?

http://sophieologie.me/2013/09/26/1200-calories/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are building muscle at this stage and burning fat at the same time. If this is so, the point you will eventually stop building muscle, and still continue to lose fat will show up as weight loss. If you burn fat while still building muscles, it would show up as inch loss on your body.

Good luck sweetheart.

workaholics-no.gif.pagespeed.ce.sYoBQUzBxU.gif
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eh, never mind-- Read it wrong!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Good luck sweetheart.

Good luck with that BS.

OP, your weight will drop eventually. You're not going to remain the same weight forever if you are dropping inches. Also, forget BMI altogether. It is not a good measure of health. (See examples of other posters above.) Right now, consistency and patience are key. And great job on losing inches!
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Take BMI with a grain of salt. If I go by BMI I'm obese.

If you're losing inches, then how are you the same size jeans?

Yes BMI does not take into account for muscle weight. All bodybuilders would be obese if they followed their BMI! but obviously they are not :) You are losing inches!! The Weight will follow!!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am 30 year old female, I'm 5'4" and weigh 170lbs. In the past 5 years I have had 3 babies and gained 35lbs, in my pre-pregnancy days I was about 110lbs. I would like to be 125lbs again but am having a very hard time. I am eating healthy consuming about 1300-1400 calories a day I also workout daily for an hour. I run 3-4 miles or get in the elliptical. I have lost inches but not a single pound. Does anyone have any suggestions?! I really could use some I would like to start shedding some weight. I have been working out religiously since August.

Umm ... I would love to be in your position.

Losing inches are WAY better then losing lbs. As has already been stated .. losing inches is a good thing. People are SO SO fixated on what the scale reads ... WHO CARES. It is all about getting fit and hopefully losing some body fat and getting fit at the same time. Sounds like you are doing this. So I wouldn't be complaining if I were you.