Cut me some slack--Treadmill question

Options
Since August I have been walking/running outside, but with the high in the teens I refuse to work-out in those temps. I got a YMCA membership and today was the first day I used a super fancy treadmill. I probably haven't been on a treadmill in 20yrs and there is a big difference between treadmills then and treadmills now. Anyway, when I got on the machine it asked me for my weight. I punchedin 190. I dont remember if it asked male/female--it may have. It did not ask my height or my age. So, I have a Polar FT4 which I have been using since September--which of course it has all my information programmed in it. When I was walking on the treadmill it showed my heartrate--even though I wasn't connected to anything or touching anything (other than my feet of course). I kept checking my heart rate and they both were dead on with each other. Are treadmills synced with Heart rate monitors without me having to hit any buttons? Also---the calories on the treadmill were significantly less than my HRM. Should I still use my HRM calculations since it is more peraonalized to me?

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, the treadmill is syncing with your HRM, suprised me the first time too. And yes, I would stick with the calorie burn from your HRM since that has more personalized data.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It could be that it linked up wirelessly, but I doubt it. Regardless, just go by what your HRM says anyways.
  • tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym do usually pick up the heart rate from my heart rate monitor without me needing to hold the sensors. I use the calories burned from my HRM though because, like you said, it has all your information programmed in. I usually don't even bother to enter any information into the treadmill since I have my HRM anyway.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Use your HRM's numbers and yes they synch with polar HRMs in most cases now for heart rate, pretty cool.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Some treadmills will pick up your Polar HRM! I'm sure they're listed on Polar's website. I usually just consider myself lucky if the treadmill I use picks up the signal :)

Your HRM knows more about your stats than the treadmill. Trust your HRM! If you feel uneasy about it, take the average between the two.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Some treadmills do read your HRM. The elliptical machines in my gym will work with my Polar HRM.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The treadmill I use picks up my HRM no problem...in fact, the treadmills on either side of me pick up the signal too. I only take calories off my HRM (FT7) and never enter anything into the treadmill. I'll enter my weight if I have to use an elliptical though, the resistance is tied to that number.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, the treadmill is syncing with your HRM, suprised me the first time too. And yes, I would stick with the calorie burn from your HRM since that has more personalized data.
    Yep, my treadmill does, too. I think it's common for Polars.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The TechnoGym treadmills in my gym have metal hold bar. The bar picks up heart rate quite accurately when checked against my Garmin.

Never thought about it syncing.
    Just ordered a Polar FT7; going to have some playing with that.
    Thanks.