Can I loose weight walking on the treadmill??

Options
Hi there - I am so confused about this calories in calories out thing. Eating your calories. calorie deficits etc. What is a healthy calorie goal to have? I am 150 pounds which is very high for me. I was pregnant and lost the baby at 3 months. I cant seem to get the weight off which is upsetting. Im usually aroung 141. I am 5'7".

How long should I be going on the treadmill for and what should i be eating to loose some pounds??

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Walk however long you want on the treadmill. Eat enough to support your activity level, but still et a deficit. Weight loss comes from eating less than you use. I'd also definitely add in strength training.
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    10,000 Steps is a magical number when combined with a proper diet. 10,000 steps is roughly 5 miles. You might have to build up to that over a period of a few weeks. But walking and using this website (myfitnesspal) can help you just as it has for me.

Jerry
  • shannon529
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight that way. I track my calories every day and walk enough to burn them off. Walking is the only thing I do, so you'll be fine :) Just have to keep at it.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    About 50% of my weight loss can be attributed to walking on a treadmill (the other 50% is portion control). I do not run, I do not lift at the moment, and I don't have other activity I do regularly. I walk between 2 and 4 hours a day on my treadmill (it is a treadmill desk so I work while walking). As everyone will say it is a calorie balance thing. By walking I can eat more while still maintaining a deficit.

So Treadmill alone isn't going to do it, you have to maintain a deficit, if you walk 3 hours on the treadmill but then eat your calories back then no deficit, no weight loss.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your baby, OP. So hard.

Walking is great exercise. Also count your calories. I use a food scale so I can be as accurate as possible.
  • shannon529
    Options
    I know you are confused by the calories in and out thing, and I'm assuming you have already done this, but you can set it up for the site to give you guidelines, based on your weight, height, how often you want to work out, how much you want to lose, and your activity level. Just in case you haven't, here is the link (it may have my info... lol, but just fill it out with yours) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided Then when you go to My Home, you will see the green number (the amount of calories you can eat that day, which goes up with your exercise) and below that is your calorie goal. Once you add food, that will give you the number you ate, and once you add your exercise it will give you that amount. I just make sure that my net is a negative number (meaning you burned off more calories than you took in). I have my stuff currently set up at losing 2 pounds a week based on a schedule that was meant for me spending most of my day sitting. However, I started walking an average of 4 miles a day, and I lost 12 pounds in two weeks. And keeping it off, which is even better :p I'm sorry for your loss, but this is a great site, with very supportive people. Good luck!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    10,000 Steps is a magical number when combined with a proper diet. 10,000 steps is roughly 5 miles. You might have to build up to that over a period of a few weeks. But walking and using this website (myfitnesspal) can help you just as it has for me.

Jerry

Bull. There is no magical number of anything. Burn more calories than you eat (within reason) and you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter if you burn those calories walking or running or training seals. You may need additional exercise to get you to your ultimate goal, but walking is a great start.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i was walking on and off for over a year , it was not till i started running the weight fell off.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost the majority of my weight by using a treadmill. I started off slow, built myself up in speed and in incline. I like walking, I find it therapeutic. I've also added in bike riding and I do yoga for variety. Exercise doesn't have to be strenuous. Just focus on getting your heart rate up and keep challenging yourself. Good luck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill is how I started losing my weight as I was so out of shape at the time. I just gradually started adding speed and incline to my workout.

I also recommend you lift weights (heavy compound lifts). It has made the biggest difference for me. I have never looked better.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am so confused about this calories in calories out thing. Eating your calories. calorie deficits etc.

This is just the basics. Here are the theroies behind the science. Your body requires a certain number of calories in a day just to stay alive and barely run your basic organ functions. We call this your BMR (or Basal Metabolic Rate ). Basically, if you were in a comma, this is what the doctors would be feeding you in terms of number of calories via an IV or feeding tube per day. Obviously, you are doing more than just laying around and just breathing. You get up, you brush your teeth (maybe), you walk to your car, you do things all day long, ect. All of this requires more energy in terms of calories. When all said in done, your body will require a certain amount of calories to do what you normally do all day long. We call this your TDEE (or Total Daily Energy Expenditure). If you ate exactly this amount, then your weight will be maintained. Reason why we call it also your maintenance calories. If you want to loose weight, then you eat below this (this is what we call a calorie deficit). If you want to gain weight, you eat more than this. Everyone's BMR and TDEE is different. There are calculators that attempt to calculate this based upon your sex (m or f), age, height, current weight, and basic catagories of your daily activity lifestyle. They are a good starting point but not perfect. But that is the basic theory. it can be more complicated than that when you try and analyze what types of micros (proteins, fats, carbs) and their calorie value have an effect on your energy levels and tissue building and other basic functions that your body does. The basic theory is, if you don't eat enough calories in food in a day, then your body will go through a process to meet those calories from stored fat which equals weight loss. There is also a risk of taking energy from lean muscle mass (such as muscle tissue). Reason why people emphasize exercise and weight training while on a weight loss program. But that is the idea behind calories in and calories out.

What is a healthy calorie goal to have? I am 150 pounds which is very high for me. I was pregnant and lost the baby at 3 months. I cant seem to get the weight off which is upsetting. Im usually aroung 141. I am 5'7".

You plug this information into mfp, combined with your weight loss goals and mfp will suggest how many calories you should be eating each day to achieve this weight loss. It goes by the basic claorie deficit. Whatever calculator figures out your TDEE, then you subtract 500 per pound you want to loose a week. Theory behind this is 500 calories in deficit per day for a week (which is 7 days) comes to 3500 calories which is what scientists say is how much energy is in 1 lb of fat in your body.
    How long should I be going on the treadmill for and what should i be eating to loose some pounds??

Exercise on top of calorie deficit = bigger calorie deficit. The accepted rule of thumb around here is, don't try to loose more than 2 lbs a week. or try to stay within a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day from your TDEE. So if you exercise more, than you can eat more.

Exercise also increases fitness and improves your cardo vasicular. So if you have fitness goals on top of weight loss goals, that can play in also.
  • msazizzum
    Options
    Okay so if you're 5'7" tall and weigh 150lbs you will be needing at least 1500 calories a day at resting state. This is the number of calories you need to eat a day to maintain your weight. But to loose weight you will have to eat less than 1500 calories. When you exercise the number of calories you need to maintain weight rises so you can eat more. So if you burn an extra 400 calories exercising to maintain your weight is now 1900 calories. So if you eat anything less than 1900 calories, on a day you burn 400 calories on the treadmill you will lose weight. Because you're still eating below maintaince.

One thing to note is that a pound is roughly 3600 calories. So to burn off a pound in a week you need to have a defect of 3600 calories a week. So say your calorie goal for the day is 1300 calories. But then you decide to exercise on the treadmill for around 45mins and burn 400 calories. You will now be able to eat an extra 400 calories. Making your calorie goal for the day 1700 calories now. Your calorie defect on such days will be 600 calories (((1500 - 1300)+400) =600). This means that you will burn off a pound in about 6 days if every day you ate only 1700 calories a day whilst also burning off 400 calories through exercising on the treadmill.
  • deniseis
    Options
    Thanks! I added all my food and excercise today and it says i have 291 calories remaining for the day and 909 net? There is no negative. Is this bad?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I added all my food and excercise today and it says i have 291 calories remaining for the day and 909 net? There is no negative. Is this bad?

What it is saying is....

You have a goal to eat a certain number of calories a day. (I am assuming you programmed your weight loss goals so it already considers you at a calorie deficit). You ate a certain amount today which MFP reports under Food. Then you exercised. MFP displays that. Net is Food - Exercise. So MFP now adjusted and said yeah, you ate a certain number of calories but you exercised, so you really didn't eat enough calories, so you are now below your goal by 291.

So is this bad? Depends. A lot of people say, yes this is bad, eat back all your exercise calories or your body will go into starvation mode (or something like that). Others will ask, but what was your total Food intake for the day. Was it at least 1200 calories? If you ate at least 1200 calories, then leaving 291 calories is no big deal. Others say, let your body tell you, if you are still hungry then eat back those 291 calories as long as your goal is still at a deficit.

I won't suggest to you anything, but I will tell you if it was me? If I ate at least 1200 calories, and all my protein grams were met and I hit all my important micros (Vit A, Vit C, fiber, potassium, calcium, iron) are all or closely met, and I am not really really really hungry, then leaving 291 calories uneaton is no big deal.