Purse Snacks - Under 200

Options
So what is a purse snack you ask? A small shelf stable snack that you can throw in your purse, backpack, car, desk, hotel room etc. to eat when you get hungry - instead of (and I have never done this) buying a candy bar or chips.

Rules
1) It has to keep well without refrigeration - extra points if not easily crushed or messy
2) It has to be filling for the calories (which generally means fiber, protein, and maybe some fat)
3) It cannot be a protein bar (Quest etc) - I know they work great for some of you but I find them to be yucky (don't argue - to each her own and I plain don't like them).

I honestly haven't found one purse snack that I am happy with as many of my snacks involve yogurt or cheese (not shelf stable) or peanut butter (messy). Blue Diamond 100 Calorie Packets of Cocoa Almonds is the closest I have come to a good purse snack.

Looking forward to your wisdom folks - bring it on!

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So what is a purse snack you ask? A small shelf stable snack that you can throw in your purse, backpack, car, desk, hotel room etc. to eat when you get hungry - instead of (and I have never done this) buying a candy bar or chips.

Rules
    1) It has to keep well without refrigeration - extra points if not easily crushed or messy
    2) It has to be filling for the calories (which generally means fiber, protein, and maybe some fat)
    3) It cannot be a protein bar (Quest etc) - I know they work great for some of you but I find them to be yucky (don't argue - to each her own and I plain don't like them).

I honestly haven't found one purse snack that I am happy with as many of my snacks involve yogurt or cheese (not shelf stable) or peanut butter (messy). Blue Diamond 100 Calorie Packets of Cocoa Almonds is the closest I have come to a good purse snack.

Looking forward to your wisdom folks - bring it on!

100 Calorie Marinated Olive packs. Yum!

http://www.mariocamachofoods.com/public/PouchOlives.aspx
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Not sure how you feel about soy, but I love these, too:

http://www.nuts.com/snacks/soybeans/dry-roasted.html
  • Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One million percent support for almonds! I buy the bulk bag from Costco, measure out 100 cal worth on my food scale and put them in little baggies. Nothing easier.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dried edamame is always a good go-to for me. Or some Kashi Go-Lean cereal. Both have a decent amount of protein and fiber :)
  • Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What about a banana or orange? They come in their very own packages. Just have to remember to eat them before the 'nana turns black!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    And, I don't care if fruit pouches are for toddlers; I love them!

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:fruit pouches
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG TOOOOO easy

Pamelas Whenever gluten free oatmeal raisin and spice bars - soooooooooooooo freakin good
    Luna Bars - try the coconut
    Clif Builder Protein SNACK size ( chocolate mint is faboo!)
    if you have a little flex in calories KIND bars each one better than the last if your gonna be picky they make minis which net about 130 calories

I could do this all day but start with these:)
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i keep a ziplock of almonds and seeds
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I buy the big tubs of almonds or trail mix and pre-measure them into snack-sized baggies. There's always a box of them with my keys by the door so I can grab and go.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I like the mini nilla wafers (130 calorie packs) or since I have a microwave where I work I bring a 100 cal popcorn pack. :)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love the emerald breakfast on the go. They come in little packages and they have granola, yogurt covered rasins, almonds etc in them depending on which flavor you pick. The box has five pouches in them and they are delcious
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    power play tasty seed blend, its gluten-free, vegan, kosher and all-natural. Its a mix of dried edamame, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and watermelon seeds and 110 cals/pack

http://www.gopicnic.com/Sweet-Perry-Orchards-Power-Play_10

I've actually started buying the 3 ingredients in bulk and mixing my own...saves me money that way.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    OMG TOOOOO easy

Pamelas Whenever gluten free oatmeal raisin and spice bars - soooooooooooooo freakin good
    if you have a little flex in calories KIND bars each one better than the last if your gonna be picky they make minis which net about 130 calories

Disqualified (see rule 3).

Also, while the fruit is a nice idea I think I'm too rough on my purse - ever tried to clean mashed banana out of a purse? Not pretty, trust me friends.

Keep the other ones coming though - vacation coming up in a couple of weeks so good purse snacks are a must!
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG TOOOOO easy

Disqualified (see rule 3).

Also, while the fruit is a nice idea I think I'm too rough on my purse - ever tried to clean mashed banana out of a purse? Not pretty, trust me friends.

Keep the other ones coming though - vacation coming up in a couple of weeks so good purse snacks are a must!

LOL so skip the clif the rest follow your rules! SHEESH!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My purse currently has a 100-calorie pack of almonds (Emerald Cocoa Roast - to get the added chocolate fix too). a 100 calorie pack of Emerald Natural Walnuts & Almonds, and the banned not to be mentioned Apple Pie Flavored Q***T bar.

They do make Banana Bunkers so you can keep a banana in your purse. It looks obscene, but might do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Impact-Banana-Bunker-Color/dp/B000VXCPNG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386282052&sr=8-5&keywords=banana+saver
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I always keep BareFruit cinnamon apple chips at my desk, in my car, in my purse. They are a great little snack and a small bag (one apple per bag) is 50 calories :) Not super filling but deffo yummy and a good crunch when I need it I have a couple most days!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing I always go for sesame snaps: 144 cals, 8.8g fat. They tend not to break apart too badly and they keep forever - plus they're yummy and crunchy, which makes them feel even more satiating!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fruit leather or beef/turkey jerky :D
  • arkhamescapee
    Options
    Somersaults. Get a mini packs or get a bigger bag and throw some in a reuseable snack bag. Protein, fiber, less fat than nuts.

http://shop.somersaultsnackco.com/?gclid=CK20tM6kmrsCFUtV4godkRIA3A
    http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=reusable+snack+bags