help please?

Options
This may sound like a dumb question but I must ask it anyway as I do not know the answer, is it a big deal if you go over you calorie intake by eating fruits and veggies? I find when I try to eat healthier Im ALWAYS hungry so I bring clementines to work but ocassionally go over my "limit" or try not to eat because of the fear of going over (though I know starving myself is not the answer either) . Basically what I am asking is can I eat all the fruits and veggies I want even if it means I go over my calorie limit and still lose weight ?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No... you eat more than you burn you will gain weight no matter what the food is.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Going over budget is over budget regardless of what the food is. Instead of a sugary clementine try some baby carrots to munch on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No... you eat more than you burn you will gain weight no matter what the food is.

This. But also be sure your calorie goal is correct for you and not too low. So many people jump on the 1200 calories or below bandwagon which just isn't sustainable. Not sure what your calorie goal is, but if you're always hungry that's something to look at.
  • mamadukes23
    mamadukes23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ,I appreciate it .
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    You do want to make sure you don't go over your calorie limit, but if you're hungry, keep in mind that you can eat more vegetables and fruits and still stay within your limits than you can processed food. Calories are calories, but to an extent. You will lose more weight eating the same amount of calories if you make all of those calories purposeful and nutritious. To help with hunger, try drinking tea throughout the day. It helps fill you up. Water is very important for obvious reasons, but also part of the time we feel hungry we're actually just dehydrated. And make sure you eat protein. It will give you energy and help you stay full longer. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calories in vs calories out
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein and fiber, that should help with hunger. However, in all honestly if you're significantly overweight (like I am) you're going to be hungry a lot. I basically went from eating like 4-5K calories to 1600, it's a big change. Your body should adjust in time, there is a ghrelin response that when your body expects food, it will make you hungry - but that's not super important I just think it could be a factor in the feelings.

Also, as an overweight person, you kind of acclimate yourself to never being hungry, like you avoid the feeling (again, my experience) so when you do feel it, most likely normally, it can be super overwhelming.

Edited to add: the protein and fiber should of course fit into your daily calories, you don't get extra.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Depends how much of a deficit you have and how much you go over your goal by, If you eat anything under your TDEE it should result in weight loss.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I hate that weight watchers tells people these are "free foods"... no such thing they have calories. that said a clementine is better than a pint of ice cream so just be careful
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out. Fruits and veggies can add up!
  • mamadukes23
    mamadukes23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein and fiber, that should help with hunger. However, in all honestly if you're significantly overweight (like I am) you're going to be hungry a lot. I basically went from eating like 4-5K calories to 1600, it's a big change. Your body should adjust in time, there is a ghrelin response that when your body expects food, it will make you hungry - but that's not super important I just think it could be a factor in the feelings.

Also, as an overweight person, you kind of acclimate yourself to never being hungry, like you avoid the feeling (again, my experience) so when you do feel it, most likely normally, it can be super overwhelming.

Edited to add: the protein and fiber should of course fit into your daily calories, you don't get extra.

I figured it is because my body is still trying to get used to the change and my stomach shrinking . Thanks for the help
  • KiaraStill
    Options
    it is indeed because of the effects of the stomach are not familiar with your eating habits, consumption of fruits and vegetables either during regularly in your diet
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The strategy I use is limiting carbs and especially sugar, as it just makes me ravenously hungry. Instead if fruit (sugar). I will eat veg instead. And I have increased my protein and fat, so I can eat nuts and cheese and cold cuts, which knocks down my hunger. I still maintain a 1200 calorie cap, and don't go crazy feeling hungry anymore.

Good luck finding the strategy that works for you.
  • iowamoomoo
    Options
    this is just my opinion but I REFUSE to go hungry for the sake of a few calories or even about 200 calories at the end of the day. I just cannot sleep if my tummy is growling and will try to put something in it and maybe try the next day to eat a wee bit less or do an extra few minutes of cardio...but honestly I wont go hungry just to avoid going over my calorie limit because it stresses out the cortisol levels too much and not worth even a pound.
  • ptstanford
    Options
    I've read all your posts, and you seem to be a "Yes, but" type person.

You are given good ideas by people who've "walked the walk" and sooner or later you
    basically say ... "Yes, but I can't do that because......."

Becoming more healthy after years of self-abuse or self neglect is not easy.

Maybe you are content with the way you are and aren't really up to the challenge of change

But if you're diabetic, one day the changes will be forced upon you... either that or the disease
    will simply take its course.

You've been given plenty of good information, and its up to you to figure out how to apply it .... or not.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I figured it is because my body is still trying to get used to the change and my stomach shrinking . Thanks for the help
    Yes, your stomach will shrink, it may take 6 months, but it will. And if you go over in calories, compensate with more exercises you enjoy!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The strategy I use is limiting carbs and especially sugar, as it just makes me ravenously hungry. Instead if fruit (sugar). I will eat veg instead. And I have increased my protein and fat, so I can eat nuts and cheese and cold cuts, which knocks down my hunger. I still maintain a 1200 calorie cap, and don't go crazy feeling hungry anymore.

Good luck finding the strategy that works for you.

ummm vegetables have carbs in them...
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are eating the right amount calories but not realise it:
    1. Have you checked that you have marked the right activity level for your lifestyle? If you have a more active lifestyle than is indicated on your mfp setup, it will affect the amount of calories you are allocated for the day.
    2. Do you record all your exercise and have you got the ability to build more exercise into your day (more stairs etc) to burn calories, which will increase your total mfp calorie allowance?

With the snacking on fruit and vegetables. All food over what you burn has potential for making you put on weight. However, if I had to choose to eat over my calorie allowance to satisfy hunger one day, I would be doing my body a better service by doing it with healthy unprocessed fruit and vegetables, than items that contain more fat, such as fast food.

Diabetics are instructed to keep to a limit of sugar, natural and processed. A lot of people do not take as much notice of the sugar intake each day as they do calories, fat and carbohydrates, but sugar is still something to keep an eye on if diabetes might become an issue. If you do not have a lot of extra fruit, then this probably does not apply.

I am a fan of Clementines and I add them in to my day too. I have up to 3 a day. I find it helps me to avoid eating other sweet and more fat laden foods.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    That is a great question. But my opinion on this is going over your calories is going over your calories no matter if its fruits or veggies. From what i have learned talking to my nutritonist is that there is a such thing as good carbs, and good proteins, and good vitamins but at the same time too much of a good thing can be bad. I would try snacking but healthy snacking for example a cup of almonds and is almost 300 and a bag of lays potato chips is almost 300. When i first seen this concept i was like i would give in to a couple of calories for the chips. BUT that wouldn't keep you full it would just have you wanting something else the almonds are good for you and your body digest the food better and less calories. This is a learning process. Hope this helps