Cheat day/Cheat meal

Options
I've always been told by trainers/dieticians and other's working out that i should allow time for "Cheating". (I know the word is bad - associated with guilt)

I am finally counting calories to loose the weight i want to, and i can seem to understand how cheating would fit in at all in a weight loss program. Unless you use half your days cals towards that one serving of ice cream.

Is cheating not really workable while trying to loose?

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I had a fried breakfast this morning and am currently drinking a Jack and coke.

I fit what I want within my daily calorie limit and never have a need to "cheat".

You need to pick a regime that you can live with for the rest of your life. That's the way to a healthy lifestyle.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    LOSE..sorry, spelling is a pet peeve..anyhoo....I have been known to eat higher calories..a chinese buffet meal..I usually never have a cheat day...as you can see, I have lost alot of weight since January, so I am sure alot of people can vouch that it is fine every once in a while and often offsets a plateau by tricking your bod....good luck too ya!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The way I think about it is this: weight loss, or any substantial change in lifestyle, relies not on a single surge of effort, but on establishing a routine that you are able to follow over many weeks and months and years. Cheat (or as I call them, treat) meals may seem counterintuitive, but if you're maintaining a good standard pattern in between those treat periods, they'll have very little long term effect. In addition, I think treat meals are valuable because they allow for some flexibility and relaxation- which makes it easier (for me) to keep up healthier patterns in the long run. Spending a thousand calories once a month on some toothsome delight makes me more likely to keep a 250 calorie deficit the other 29 days of the month.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I need to copy what I'm about to post and save it, as this is the 3rd time recently I've done this... :happy:

A lb of fat equates to approximately 3500 Calories. To lose 1 lb of fat in one week, we need a 500 Calorie per day deficit (7 x 500 = 3500).

If you eat @ that 500 Calorie deficit for 6 days, you are at a weekly deficit of 3000 Calories.

If you "cheat" and end up eating maintenance Calories (no deficit, but not @ surplus) for one day, you keep that 3000 Calorie weekly deficit. This means you can expect to lose 0.86 lbs that week.

If you "cheat" and end up eating a 500 Calorie surplus for one day, you now have a 2500 Calorie weekly deficit. This means you can expect to lose 0.71 lbs that week.

In both cases, you'll likely lose - barring water retention - more than 1/2 lb of fat that week. Not bad, right? Maybe not as much as you hoped, but it's sustainable, as you won't need to psychologically worry too much about completely cutting things out.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i fit it in. i havent cheated once. i eat what i want and when i want. if its within your calories, it works. sure ive been over a few days. still wasnt because i cheated.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to think Cheat meals/days were okay until I started on this journey.

Using junk food to "Treat" yourself or "reward" yourself after a week of good eating puts my mental relationship with food in an unhealthy place.

I start to associate "bad for you" foods as rewards, and it just makes me crave them more. And everytime I would splurge, it would throw me off course.

I'm not saying I never eat anything bad for me, just that If I do, I make it fit into my daily calorie goals either by working out more that day or by reducing my other meals in that day.

Making up for it earlier in a week or a day later etc. gives fuel to the procrastinator inside, and it ends up getting put off further and further until it flings me off the bandwagon.

So I say no to cheat days/meals, and would recommend the same to others asking for advice. :)
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I fit what I want within my daily calorie limit and never have a need to "cheat".

You need to pick a regime that you can live with for the rest of your life. That's the way to a healthy lifestyle.

I agree!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    prdough and others have good points too. I think cheat days can be detrimental if your normal routine is too inflexible. (In which case, you might want to think about increasing the flexibility of your routine so you can maintain it for longer periods!) I'm able to fit the majority of the foods I love into my meal plan; I use treat meals for really special things I normally wouldn't have every day in any case (a big helping of baked Brie, a full McDonald's meal, a pile of crab dip...). As is frequently the case, only you can figure out what's best for you!
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A cheat day works for me.

I always lose weight after a cheat day.

But I will be honest on how I do it, I save up my calories during the week.

I will eat 1200 calories during the week and on my cheat day I will GO NUTS, I probably well over 3000 calories. I do not log on cheat days, I enjoy myself and take a break from this whole "dieting" nonsense.

It works for me.

I don't believe in fitting it into my daily calories, I want to eat healthy, which I do 6 days a week, I don't go over my Macros and I stay under my calorie goal. On cheat days, I enjoy food I don't eat during the week, I normally feel bloated, tired and gross and its what gets me back on track the next day, knowing eating healthier makes me feel better but the cheat day helps me stay sane.
  • charmyc
    charmyc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get a free meal at work on saturday (fast food of course) So it's my cheat meal. I still try to have it somewhat fit into my 1200 calories but I don't worry about it too much. One thing that I have come to realize is that I don't want it anymore. I have to look at the menu for a very long time before deciding what I want since nothing look yummy. It's a matter of getting used to it. I still crave cheese a lot so I eat it on that day. It's my treat.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Some people can have cheat meals/days and get right back on track. Others (like me) start looking forward to the cheat days and go wildly overboard; then spend the rest of the week restricting, calculating, and obsessing. Forget the physical ill effects that splurging to the point of going in to a food coma makes me feel; the time I waste berating myself is so exhausting. I just want to NOT think about food so much. If I have a cheat day, I think about it and look forward to it all week. I even plot out what I plan on cramming into my piehole! If I don't cheat, I obsess about making sure I am rigidly within my calorie goal for the day. Phew. I think I need a hobby. Or maybe coming to these boards IS my hobby.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

I agree!

Yup. Except I prefer Coors Light or Fireball.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    Last week I was at a birthday party and I had cake and snacks. For me a cheat day is just living, and some days you're either going to be at a social function or simply want something higher in calories, and from time to time I indulge myself. Though I do usually make sure that I'm within maintenance for the week.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's just arithmetic-- calories in/calories out. If you're losing weight with a, let's say, 400 calorie daily deficit, then eat 800 calories more than usual on Sunday, you've just "spent" a couple of days' worth of deficit. You'll still be in a caloric deficit, and still losing weight-- just a bit slower. Doesn't matter if it's pizza or skinless chicken or a block of lard.

When I'm running a deficit I usually leave a day for going over a bit on calories. It's no big deal. If you're going 3000 calories over it'll be a problem, but who does that?
  • emmamaybear
    emmamaybear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    LOSE..sorry, spelling is a pet peeve..anyhoo....I have been known to eat higher calories..a chinese buffet meal..I usually never have a cheat day...as you can see, I have lost alot of weight since January, so I am sure alot of people can vouch that it is fine every once in a while and often offsets a plateau by tricking your bod....good luck too ya!

Well, if you're gonna correct others, please don't ever say alot! It's two words: a lot! :)

On topic: I don't think I would survive without cheating. (unhealthy) Food is incorporated in a big part of our life and it isn't always avoidable, and I don't think you should always want to avoid it!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Some people can have cheat meals/days and get right back on track. Others (like me) start looking forward to the cheat days and go wildly overboard; then spend the rest of the week restricting, calculating, and obsessing. Forget the physical ill effects that splurging to the point of going in to a food coma makes me feel; the time I waste berating myself is so exhausting. I just want to NOT think about food so much. If I have a cheat day, I think about it and look forward to it all week. I even plot out what I plan on cramming into my piehole! If I don't cheat, I obsess about making sure I am rigidly within my calorie goal for the day. Phew. I think I need a hobby. Or maybe coming to these boards IS my hobby.

I'm a bit like this.

I think the idea of just putting the desired food into your day is the key for me. As mentioned previously "fried brekky etc" it was in his daily allowance.
    I had an ice cream from 'cold rock' last night - a small one within my daily amount. I wont be doing that everyday as its a lot of calories on something I can live without most of the time. Empty calories.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day, which is every Saturday. However, I don't necessarily binge. It is my date night with my boyfriend, so if we go out to dinner to a nicer place and I want a burger or a steak, I let myself have it. I usually stick to leaner breakfasts on my cheat days so I can afford to have something awesome when I go out to dinner. I'm still conscious of what I'm eating, but on Saturdays, I never log my calories. I'm still down about 10 lbs since the end of Sept. (when I started doing this seriously) and have lost inches all over. Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I give ourselves one cheat day (one meal) per week. Tonight is that night for us, we're going out for sushi, which will definitely be high calories. I still plan on being within my limit, but even if I do go over slightly, I'll still end up losing weight. I've been at this for exactly one month, and have lost 10 pounds (I have a lot to lose). Just don't crazy when you eat the things you want to eat.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to weekly totals as much as daily. It is easier for me to eat within my calorie goal on the weekdays due to having a more structured day. If I eat under those 5 days, I can indulge a bit more on the weekends.

At the same time, this is a lifestyle change. It's about learning moderation - stopping after a few chips instead of the whole bag. Only eating 2 Oreo cookies instead of 6. I am able to fit small treats in on many days of the week.