Pulling an "all-nighter"

Options
I'm a student and have exams and assignments due these days. I know getting enough sleep is important, but it hasn't always been possible.

Last night I did not go to bed except for one hour. I had a snack in the middle of the night and recorded it for the next day (today).

However, I'm thinking, since I'm technically up all night I do burn more calories than I would if I were sleeping (were running around quite a bit too, making coffee and printing) and it's natural that I do eat something. When I record it for the next day, I get much less to eat then. Now it's evening here, and I have such few calories left and am starving.

If you were up all night and ate in the middle of the night, would you ignore it or record it for the next day?

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Record everything. Then go to bed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry - record it whenever. Your metabolism doesn't work on a 24 hour clock.

Just eat enough. During stressful school times, make sure you are eating enough - your brain works better that way.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I record it in the 24 hour period in which it happened. Easier to keep track of that way.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    When I was doing shift work, I would record a day as being from one sleep period to the next. Unless this is something you're doing all the time, it probably doesn't matter how you choose to log it. :smile:
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Record everything. Then go to bed.
    Also, if you need to eat, eat. Record it to keep yourself from eating mindlessly, but finals are a limited period of time and it wouldn't be unreasonable to eat at maintenance for a while.

I'm at 1300 calories a day so I can add a few while still being in deficit. However I really want to lose the extra lbs before Christmas, so I want to stay at a 500 deficit a day...
    Which is why I was wondering whether people separate between awake and 'sleeping' hours.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    1300 cals isn't much to be lasting 24 hours. At some point you'll have to eat just because you should, because you've been up so long and stressed, tired etc. Try and keep it balanced the best you can, but if you go over, you shouldn't let that stress you out either. For me, midnight starts a new day. Anything eaten after that is logged the next day. I've done all nighters ofte, which is why i say, at some point you WILL have to eat, even if you're "over" in your cals. So just eat so as not to add to the stress and end up sick.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Exams and assignments are stressful require energy and clear thinking. It's only a few weeks til break......I would not worry too much about counting calories as long as you are not completely binging.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Next day is fine--it's not like you murdered anyone
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat
    drink and
    shrink
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I keep strange hours (work at home, grad school online, it's bound to happen lol) and I made a special category for things I eat when I'm up late at night. Try to balance what you eat through the day or get a little exercise if you can (sometimes the best procrastination when you're stuck on something is to go for a walk lol) and record it so you're not going into tomorrow's calories so you don't make yourself miserable.