Am I eating enough for the amount of exercise I am doing?

Options
Trying to lose 30 more pounds as quickly as possible, but in a healthy manner. I am down to 214 from 226 and would like to get to 185. My BMR is 2150, I'm eating between 1800-2200 calories a day and working out twice a day burning 1000-1300 calories. So my deficits are from 1000-1200 calories a day. I am eating every couple of hours, eating lots of protein and veggies, not hungry, but I am concerned that I am not eating enough. I work out for an hour at lunch and burn ~500 to 600 calories with an intense 15 minute run, 20 minutes of weight training, and then 15 minutes biking. When I get home from work, I run 4-5 miles and burn another 700-800 calories.

Should I be eating more or changing what I am doing?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for women is to not go below 1200 (net) calories ON TOP of anything burned through exercise. So if you exercise and burn 1000 cal then you should probably be eating no less than 2200 cals (unless of course a doctor has permitted you to otherwise). It is 1500 net for men.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    All numbers are in general for the average population. Best thing to do is just find the numbers that work best for you. It will take time but if you want to keep off what you lose, it what is needed.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    There is no cookie cutter formula for everyone. If it is working for you, stick with it. If you feel like you are exhausted all the time, up the protein and complex carbs a bit until you feel better.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    In my experience I lost the most weight by eating more and working out more. I was burning 1000 cals a day and i ate back all my cals. So try it for a while and see bc everybody's body is different. It worked for me. Matter of fact i just up'd my daily cal intake bc I was hungary on 1350 so now im at 1500, i do not work out as intensly and im still hungary. Im like you, I eat 6 meals a day. Good luck!!