The Daniel Plan

Options
I've been reading the book "The Daniel Plan" by Rick Warren, and am going to give it a try. Has anyone on here ever tried it? If so, what were your results. The plan strongly recommends a "Small Group" for accountability partners and to encourage each other... If you're interested in the plan, let's form a group.

Replies

• Tojsmom
    Options
    Is this the same as the Daniel Fast?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    What is the plan? Something tells me it's some kind of highly specific smoke and mirrors that tries to hide the fact that it's a calorie deficit. You can dress up a calorie deficit in any clown suit and you'll get weight loss results. So why bother with the clown suit at all? :huh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'd probably only follow a diet plan if the author of said plan looked even close to being lean.

DownloadedFile-12_zps455fc9e9.jpeg

But if his physique is what you're going for, you're headed in the right direction.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO

thank you.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'd probably only follow a diet plan if the author of said plan looked even close to being lean.

But if his physique is what you're going for, you're headed in the right direction.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Doesn't really inspire...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    What is the plan? Something tells me it's some kind of highly specific smoke and mirrors that tries to hide the fact that it's a calorie deficit. You can dress up a calorie deficit in any clown suit and you'll get weight loss results. So why bother with the clown suit at all? :huh:

Some of us like clowns. :blushing:

I found what I feel was a safe link on CBS about the Daniel Plan - there's an autoplay video:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-warren-co-authors-on-their-diet-program-the-daniel-plan/

It reads to be a diet with community support/accountability. Starts off with 10 day "detox" (quote from CBS article):

“The truth is most of us are eating industrial processed food that has hijacked our brain chemistry, our taste buds and our metabolism - we need to stop that,” he said. “So, getting off of the junk food, the sugar, the processed food, quitting and dairy, just for ten days, gives you a jump start to reset your metabolism and then people feel better.”

Not for me.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz was one of the contributing doctors.

So ...

I will say that I do not Dr. Oz. Not at all. Would not recommend.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Daniel as in...the Bible?

oh, just read a review of it. Basically: whole foods, no additives, no preservatives, no frankensugars plus faith. "If it has a box don't eat it".

No "addictions" (tea, coffee, wine...)

Not a horrible sounding plan, except it eliminates a lot of great fruits and vegetables. Not something I could follow.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am unimpressed with it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Some of us like clowns. :blushing:

I found what I feel was a safe link on CBS about the Daniel Plan - there's an autoplay video:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-warren-co-authors-on-their-diet-program-the-daniel-plan/

It reads to be a diet with community support/accountability. Starts off with 10 day "detox" (quote from CBS article):

“The truth is most of us are eating industrial processed food that has hijacked our brain chemistry, our taste buds and our metabolism - we need to stop that,” he said. “So, getting off of the junk food, the sugar, the processed food, quitting and dairy, just for ten days, gives you a jump start to reset your metabolism and then people feel better.”

Not for me.

well thats allI need to know that this is complete garbage..

anything with the words "detox" and "jumpstart metabolism" are immediate red flags of the ultimate load of BS to come...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to agree with this. Doesn't really inspire...

LOL it looks like Daniel is not following his own advice about sugar...bahahahahaha
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh brother, I just looked at the website and filled out a profile to see what would happen. I got a first email "Welcome to Saddleback Church!" then another one telling me about The Daniel Plan, God's Prescription for Your Help.

I think it's an invitation for spam, a place for a religious slant on weight loss (I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm just saying). Since you fill out a profile and track your progress, it looks to me like a place not much different than MFP where you log, gain support, etc., except that the site is based upon a book and a book may required to understand it all.

I won't join, but the best of luck to whomever does chose to join.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Rick Warren may be a famous author in Christian circles, but a nutrition expert he is not. I'm sure he means well, but he should stick to what he knows.

That being said, if this is based on the foods Daniel and his friends ate while in captivity, refusing food offered to idols, then it would essentially be a simple vegetarian diet, and high in fiber. Healthy enough. Just be sure to get enough protein.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the book "The Daniel Plan" by Rick Warren, and am going to give it a try. Has anyone on here ever tried it? If so, what were your results. The plan strongly recommends a "Small Group" for accountability partners and to encourage each other... If you're interested in the plan, let's form a group.

There are a few groups already, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10936-the-daniel-fast

But they haven't been active for awhile. You can search for groups using the "groups" tab at the top of the page.

You might get more support on Warren's website if there is a community there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

There are a few groups already, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10936-the-daniel-fast

But they haven't been active for awhile. You can search for groups using the "groups" tab at the top of the page.

You might get more support on Warren's website if there is a community there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

That should be a red flag right there.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^^ This. Sorry to not be very supportive, but calorie deficit wins hands down every time. I guess if you want to fuss around with other things as well then go for it. I tend to believe that when we're truly ready to lose weight something will kinda snap and we'll be happy to focus on getting our cals down and upping our exercise without any of the extra stuff, but some people (rare in my experience) do seem to have success with the more complex 'fad' diets.

Honestly though, just focusing on a simple cal deficit is way easier.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    While I do think it's probably better for me to eat less out of boxes and start with real food when I make meals, I think the Daniel Plan, like every other "something specific" diet makes it harder than it should be. And being told what I cannot eat, just makes me crave it that much more. So I've tried to cut out most of the crap I used to eat, but not all of it; add in food that helps me meet or come closer to my macros, and eat at a calorie deficit.

And that accountability/small group thing? That's what I consider my FL to be. They inspire me to want to be better and so I do better.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    LOL. Pray away the pounds. Good luck with that! :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LOL. Pray away the pounds. Good luck with that! :laugh:

If that were the answer, we would all pray away the pounds while we hate unlimited calories. :bigsmile:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've heard him talking about his plan and book, and I get where he's coming from. They AREN'T praying the pounds away. I haven't read the book but it seems he's trying to get people to understand that losing weight/getting fit/good health aren't just about "a diet". Seems like it might be more about motivation, how to make life changes, things beyond eating right and exercising that are important if you want to lose weight. For most people, they don't get the whole calorie deficit thing - they've never heard of it.
This discussion has been closed.