Beginner Weight Lifting Routine

Options
Hello Everyone :smile:

All I have been doing is cardio and have never done strength training before, but I would like to start. My University's gym has pretty much everything I need to get started, so does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner routine for lifting? Like how heavy should I start out with and how long should I do each move?
Any help is appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you Google icecreamfitness 5 x 5, you'll get a full body program 3 times a week. It's for beginners, too.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It is worth engaging a personal trainer for the first couple of sessions to show you the ropes. Form is very important in weight training. A shocking number of people in the gym have no idea what they are doing.
  • annadenny
    annadenny Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into icecreamfitness... and yes, Tykk, I dont want to hurt myself either by having poor form.
  • krissy210
    Options
    I 've tried yoga last weekend and I was really impressed. You guys should try it out. It really brings you in shape.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Buy the book Starting Strength. It's on Amazon for about $30 and it's the most comprehensive piece of writing on strength training I've ever read, and tailored to beginners. In its pages, you'll find a program outlined that will be more than enough to get you started. I also encourage you to look up the various lifts on YouTube. In particular, the "So you think you can (squat, bench, deadlift)?" series is very instructional.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Buy the book Starting Strength. It's on Amazon for about $30 and it's the most comprehensive piece of writing on strength training I've ever read, and tailored to beginners. In its pages, you'll find a program outlined that will be more than enough to get you started. I also encourage you to look up the various lifts on YouTube. In particular, the "So you think you can (squat, bench, deadlift)?" series is very instructional.

I second that. And if you have the Kindle app, the book is only $10. Hard to read (it gets tedious) but tons of really valuable information. Between the book and the videos, I could figure out where the old trainer was going wrong (and got a new one).
  • annadenny
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are great :smile:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In addition to some YouTube videos, there are some apps and websites out there. Jefit and iMuscle that can give you a beginners workout routine to begin weight/stregnth training.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I 've tried yoga last weekend and I was really impressed. You guys should try it out. It really brings you in shape.

Yes, yoga is great to do on lifting rest days
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove is a great way to get into lifting.

Stronglifts 5x5 is another good plan.

New Rules lifting tend to be a little more complicated, and the routines change every 4-6 weeks, which is good if you get bored easily. The New Rules plans tend to focus on total fitness and incorporate some HIIT, super setting and varied set/reps to build endurance, hypertrophy and strength.

Stronglifts is much more simple and utilizes the same routines over time, so it's better if you don't want to carry a worksheet with you to the gym. It is more strength-focused.

I also recommend Starting Strength to provide information about proper form.

I am also interested in Wendler's 5/3/1 program and might do that after I finish New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ^Agree with the guys above about Starting Strength. Even if you don't follow the programme outlined in the book, it's an essential reference to the big lifts that every lifter should own.

As to routines: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness, Greyskull LP, All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine and the NROL varieties all have their adherents. None of them will steer you wrong as you come to terms with the lifts and hone in on good form. It's mostly down to personal preference as to which you'll like and (ultimately) stick with.
  • annadenny
    Options
    ^Agree with the guys above about Starting Strength. Even if you don't follow the programme outlined in the book, it's an essential reference to the big lifts that every lifter should own.

As to routines: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness, Greyskull LP, All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine and the NROL varieties all have their adherents. None of them will steer you wrong as you come to terms with the lifts and hone in on good form. It's mostly down to personal preference as to which you'll like and (ultimately) stick with.

Well said :) Thank you!