Maintaining, but still losing

Options
124»

Replies

• AlexBlow
    Options
    Work out your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/), eat this many calories as a MINIMUM, then eat to account for your cardio/exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I put myself at "Sedentary" when I started. I had it there when I went to "Maintain" and kept losing.

I stopped losing the weight when I changed it to "Active" and " gain 1 pound a week" Sounds kind of funny, but it works for me.

Interesting. Well, I may very well have to do that. Will see how it goes. It is sort of going up and down within a pound, so at least I'm no longer losing, but we will see. I'm going to see how another two weeks goes on 2,100 calories and then weigh myself.

Women literally have their BMR change through the month, might need a full 4 weeks to test anything.

Getting valid weigh-in days too to minimize false gain/loss?

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Anything else could have 2-4 lbs false gain/loss masking real results. Start out with a false loss day, end with a false gain day, and it could appear you gained a lot, or vice-versa.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bumped up calories again to 2,200 per day and eating a bit of junk, which I have only done twice in the last two months. My weight is now dangerously low at 62 kg. I know this just by looking at myself. So giving myself a relaxed day today. A few biscuits, some toast with honey.. etc. etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bumped up calories again to 2,200 per day and eating a bit of junk, which I have only done twice in the last two months. My weight is now dangerously low at 62 kg. I know this just by looking at myself. So giving myself a relaxed day today. A few biscuits, some toast with honey.. etc. etc.

if you feel your weight is 'dangerously low' then one 'relaxed day' isnt going to make a difference....

you need a sustained period (weeks not days) of eating enough calories....
  • sklebar
    Options
    Yes, I know. I just don't want to get into ****ty eating habits again by going all out, except for a day. I have been watching it. When you first saw me here, I was on 1,600 calories a day and now up to 2,200 a day, so I have definitely been trying. I have been doing like you said, where I'm bumping up calories once a week/once every two weeks and seeing how my body reacts.
  • sklebar
    Options
    I'm fighting with it too.
    I bumped my activity level up a notch, changed it to "gain 1lb a week" and still eat back my exercise calories. We'll see where that puts me next week.

How is it going then?
  • sklebar
    Options
    I have switched my calories to TDEE, which I think is a good way to go. I had a huge blowout day yesterday to eat loads and felt a lot better too. With my level of exercise per week, I do about 4 1/2 hours of moderate/intense exercise a week, so this set my calories at 2,200 per day. However, I still plan on eating whole and healthy foods and following through with my 10 veg a day, which makes me feel great. I'm now at 63 kg. and hoping to get up to 64 to 65 kg., which, with my changes towards strength-based exercise and increased calories, should happen.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Goal weight has been reached and now at 64 kg. for the last few days, so I've lowered my calories slightly and feel my maintenance spot is at 2,040. This is due to the weight gain from eating between 2,100 and 2,300 a day.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining at 2200 calories a day for a while now, but that number took trial and error to find out when I switched to maintenance. I run or do intense exercise 4 days a week and walk then weight lift 2 days a week. I went with a calculator that uses body fat % to find my TDEE and I posted it below. Your best indicator is a HRM to show exactly what you burn through exercise because that gives you an exact number to work with.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you know your body fat % use the lean mass formula.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried the calculators, but it still looks like I'm anywhere between 2000 and 2200 and I don't really know how active I am. Have bumped it up to 2,200 calories a day and maintaining at 64 kg. for now. Will keep this monitored and see how good this works. I can't believe how much food I'm able to eat on 2,200 a day! It's actually kind of cool. lol!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

BTW - TEMPERATURE has a big effect on how much energy you use. In cold weather or when I am working in the basement where it is chilly I need hundreds more calories a day than I do upstairs.

Adding calories is easy. Eat fat and carbs. Buttered toast. A big glass of orange juice. A melted cheese bagel. Any of those will add 300-700 calories to your day.
  • cbfliz
    cbfliz Posts: 33 Member
    Options

BTW - TEMPERATURE has a big effect on how much energy you use. In cold weather or when I am working in the basement where it is chilly I need hundreds more calories a day than I do upstairs.

I'm beginning to think this might account for why, even though I have recently increased my calories, I'm still slightly under the weight I'm trying to maintain.
  • sklebar
    Options
    So I kept increasing my calories and have gone back up to my weight that makes me look less anorexic. Thanks to a lot of support as I was a bit worried to gain too much weight, but once I was gently upping my calories, it helped. I went from maintaining at 1700 calories per day to 2250 per day to put weight back on. I was just below 62 kg. at my lowest point and now back up to 65 kg. through a gentle increase in calories. I did like everyone said and just ate more calorie dense foods like bread and adding healthy fats into my diet again really made a difference in losing too much weight. So my maintenance calories are now at 2,100 calories per day and eating back my exercise calories as well. In terms of having a cheat day, I do that once a month where I have pizza or a big fat burger with chips and I treat myself still to Belvita breakfast biscuits on my exercise days, which also helps for motivation as well - a sort of, it's an exercise day, I get to have a small treat (not a healthy thing, but better than chocolate cake or pastries) and still within my calorie limit. In terms of exercise, I still walk throughout my commute and my exercise schedule is now finally set in stone where I do one bootcamp reformer pilates class (55 minutes), one jivamukti yoga class (60 minutes), two 30-minute runs and two spin classes (1 hr long each). I will also be incorporating a 20-minute routine in the mornings of 10 minutes of skipping rope, 5 minutes of yoga and 5 minutes of pilates/strengthening (nothing too major as I have a severely injured body). So far so good!
  • sklebar
    Options
    Plus bought a kettlebell and skipping rope for home use... Feeling really happy with the support and ideas from all other MFP members... Secretly, I love you guys... :) My other half always jokes about my MFP use on my mobile and I just look him square in the eyes and say, "Hey, I like to look after myself and you still think I'm hot, so why not?"
  • sklebar
    Options
    Tried to even remotely lower my calories and still found I'm at 2,250 calories per day for maintaining. I think that the most accurate calculator that helped me work out my maintenance calories was this one, mentioned earlier - http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I personally think if MFP really wanted to improve their calorie calculators, they should have more room for those of us that may work in an office all day and sit at a desk, but then end up commuting loads or actually walk on our commute.

Found myself switching to good protein sources after workouts and a healthy carb source before workouts. It's helped.

Also, got my workouts throughout the week under control, where I'm working out about 5 hours a week, including my shiny new kettlebell.. Onwards and upwards..
  • LeonardoLJR
    LeonardoLJR Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, I once had the same problem of losing weight when I didn't want to. It can a while for your body to make adjustments depending on your metabolism, a week or two. I was going to say that yeah, 1700 calories is way too low for you. Doing all that walking you do on a daily basis should cut back more or less ~300 kcals. each day and since it's a routine thing, it gets factored into your BMR as moderate activity. Some hardcore bodybuilding health/supplement stores (usually local ones) determine your personal BMR and those are the most accurate, usually free. Because of that, metabolism, height, you should be near 2,100 kcal. give or take a hundred. couple that with a heart monitor and strap that reads calories burned, and you're set. You'll just need mfp to help keep track of your food calorie intake.

Those 3 workouts you do once a week, should be burning about 160-175 kcals a day, or 1,200 kcals a week more or less.
    Add that to your extra low diet 1,700 calorie intake and you're losing just a little over a pound a week. Even the 2,100 calorie diet should still cause you to lose a pound in almost 3 weeks or so, but you can make adjustments and eat just a little more after that.

by the way 3 (30) minute sessions of light swimming will get you close to the same calorie burn you get from your 3 favorite workouts and it is low impact, incase you want to change things up.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Thanks man. Yeah, I'm at 2,250 for the next week and see how that goes. I've been eating a little bit of my exercise calories back, but not too much, so I can have a pizza or a burger with some chocolate once a month. :) But that's it.

By Saturday, I'll check it again and ramp it up if I need to. Doing about 4 hours a week now of training, with a mixture of skipping rope, 2 x kettlebell training, a solid run on the canals of London, a spin class at home, a couple of jivamukti yoga hours and a bootcamp reformer pilates class. I didn't mind swimming, but again, that messes with my shoulders too much, as I have terrible shoulder and neck issues from being a retired fighter. Used to swim loads! Helped with my asthma actually and was great for fighter training to control your breathing. Hence, why I seem a bit like a wimp with my workouts nowadays. :) Yeah, it's taken about a year for my body to get used to being less athletic and just a bit more lean.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you considered using natural supplements, like honey in lime and mild warm water, green tea etc. They have proven to stabilize the body metabolism and help maintaining health and immunity.