Same meals every day

Options
I was reading a book the other day and it suggested that a person eat the same meals every single day to lose weight. According to the book, if you eat the same breakfast, same lunch, same dinner and same snacks day in and day out, your taste buds will change and your body will not crave other foods. I've never tried this but I did give it some thought after reading the book. Has anyone ever tried this? I'm afraid I would get bored with the foods and I would binge and eat everything in sight. Just looking for some direction.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Too boring for me. Wouldn't be an option. I also notice, if I eat the same amount of cals every day for a while, my body gets used to that level and my losses stall.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    That doesn't make any sense, though. Even if your taste buds do change doesn't mean you eat less calories. On another note, why would I want to make my taste buds change? Having the option to choose between a wide variety of foods is luxury in my opinion.

If you want to lose weight eat less calories than you burn. Tada.
  • roly14
    roly14 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My breakfast and lunch are basically the same Monday to Friday Dinners vary Weekends are random Still lose on a regular basic Don't think its what you eat its how much you eat
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. I couldn't eat the same thing I'd get bored easily. I love Thai, indian, English and loads of other cuisines so having the same wouldn't be an option. Its about portions and controlling your ingredients. For example i cook lots of different soups which require double cream but i use low fat creme fraiche instead. Adapt recipes to suit your preferred cal content etc is a lot more fun and tastier than eating the same thing all the time. :smile:
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I stick with the same few meals that I can mix and match. Works for me.
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    What do you folks who eat the same meals eat? M
    Thanks in advance for the ideas/suggestions!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am a monotone eater, practically the same menus every week, but saying your taste buds adjust so much you wouldn't like any other anymore, no! I still can have my moments I do like french fries with mayonnaise or a piece of milk chocolate! So I don't think that works. On the other hand it does work for me to keep it as sober as possible when it comes to weight loss. But no human is equal and their respond to a diet like that will not be equal either I suppose...
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    so my experience with this was..after having the same meal 3 times a day, I couldn't eat anymore of it. There was a period when all I had for protein was canned tuna, so you know how that went...

nowadays when I pop open a can of tuna, I love it! it's a great snack.

but hey, which ever works for ya! I just wouldn't be able to maintain my goals that way though
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do this, but that's mainly cos i'm really lazy when it comes to cooking :p
    Doesn't really make any difference for me though when it comes to cravings for other food
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I assume those same meals should all come below your TDEE, cause you know, if I had some 3000 cals of the same food every day I'd still gain weight. Sure I wouldn't crave other food, but that'll be because I's be stuffed.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think that'd work mostly psychologically, because if you have a set plan for eating for the rest of the day then you're less tempted to freestyle it and overeat while doing so. That's why I try to bulk-make a lunch on Sunday so I don't have the temptation to buy a giant sandwich instead. I don't think I could do it for every meal, though- much too boring! And half the fun of dieting is trying to find new foods while still meeting my minimum.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No, that would be too boring for me. I just ensure that I'm in cal deficit and I lose weight.

The only time when I eat the same food repetitively is because I'm too lazy to get something else ... so I do a big batch of soup or HB eggs.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i always have the same everyday except for dinner. it makes shopping easy, makes calorie counting easy. aftr a while when i get bored i change the routine.

i sometimes crave other things but i like to routine
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This sounds horrible to me. I love eating a variety of things. The only meal that is the same for me is breakfast because I have little time to make anything fancy in the morning. Actually, I kind of rotate the same things for breakfast but it's not even identical day in and day out.
    To each there own. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you make sure you have adequate nutrition. It's just not something I could do; I enjoy food too much!
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You would have to really watch your nutrient intake if you didn't have variety.
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think that's more to get you into the routine of eating healthy? Like if you're just so used to eating the same thing for breakfast lunch and dinner it might feel wrong to break the habit. I personally think that it wouldn't work. I get into a routine of eating healthy where I don't want to cheat myself, but I keep it varied. It also might be unhealthy to eat the same things all the time. Variety is healthy in a diet, because you don't want to be getting all your nutrition from a limited group of foods. Yes carrots are healthy, but you wouldn't be very happy if you didn't have bell peppers in there too, you know what I'm saying?
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This sounds horrible. I get bored too easily, and end up not wanting to eat a certain food for a very long time, if I've had it too often during a period of time. I need variety, otherwise I would end up not wanting to eat at all, haha.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sound like a great way to develop a nutritional deficiency.

Who writes these books? /smh.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sounds incredibly boring. And probably not healthy...you'll miss some micronutrients unless very very careful with the menu. No thanks! Variety is the spice of life!
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was reading a book the other day and it suggested that a person eat the same meals every single day to lose weight. According to the book, if you eat the same breakfast, same lunch, same dinner and same snacks day in and day out, your taste buds will change and your body will not crave other foods. I've never tried this but I did give it some thought after reading the book. Has anyone ever tried this? I'm afraid I would get bored with the foods and I would binge and eat everything in sight. Just looking for some direction.

I makes sense, actually. Like every other cell in your body, your taste buds are constantly regenerating, and you get used to the tastes of the foods you eat. Like the phrase, "acquired taste", you can acquire a taste for the things you eat all the time, and lose taste for the things you stop eating.

I don't know that this method would work for everyone. It works for me, I eat generally the same stuff every day, and I don't get bored of it... but I was an EXTREMELY picky eater as a child, and even though I have acquired a taste for a some foods I wouldn't touch as a child, I also feel like I am programmed to eat the same foods every day, because that's what I did growing up. I also only order the same food every time I go to a restaurant, I rarely try anything new because more often than not, I don't like it.

I think the reason that it works, is that you get into a routine. You eat the same breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, and you get that same set amount of calories everyday. For someone who craves variety, it would probably drive you to binge.... but if you crave routine, it would work, because it would become automatic, and you wouldn't even have to think about it.

I used to worry about what eating the same things all the time would do to me, healthwise, so I decided to take a multi-vitamin to supplement just to be sure.