Where to start

Options
Hiya,

I've been trying on and off for ages to lose weight but I keep failing. I have used mfp a bit and it has slightly helped. However I keep falling off the wagon and start gaining again. So I want to try again and I have bought myself a fitbit now but I'm struggling with how to use the mfp properly. I've heard some people say don't eat the exercise calories back I've heard some say you should so I'm really lost. Can anyone help ?

I'm 6 foot 3 and I weigh 19 stone 4lbs (270lbs or about 123 kilos). I dislocated my knees a couple of years ago so I cant do any heavy impact based exercise like running.

thank for all your help.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need fewer devices/schemes and should simply focus on the basics

1) eat a reasonable number of calories
    2) try to keep your diet reasonably balanced
    3) get some exercise
    4) be patient

more here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes?hl=cliff+notes

• gayle4882
    gayle4882 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! There is lots of help here!!! I have lost over 30lbs in the past 5 years. (not all on MFP). Everyone is different. You need to start where you are and play around with the numbers. It's great that you are back on MFP because you can track your calories in and out but don't use the numbers as an absolute. Nothing can track with %100 accuracy. Try using a TDEE calculator on line. Google it! I think that really helps.

If I am feeling good and I am not starving I don't eat my exersise calories. I can tell right when I wake up if it's going to be tough to stay on track. If I am feeling hungry then I eat my exersise calories. See what works for you.

Good luck!
  • brayman1701
    brayman1701 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My main problem is when I'm stressed or tired, which happens a lot as I don't have the best quality sleep. I tend to eat loads :(.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Your fitbit is an activity tracker so it should help you gauge the number of calories you need to eat. MFP is designed so that when you enter your information the calories it gives you already includes a deficit so you should eat back at least half of your exercise calories. If you do not want to think about exercise calories go to an online calculator and figure out your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) then eat at your TDEE - 20%. Personally, I think MFP sets the protein macro a little low. You can personalize your setting if you go to goals, customize.

Walking is an awesome way to shed pounds and is low impact or if possible start swimming or water walking. However, most of your weight loss will come from diet.

Good luck and you can always add me or message me if you have anymore questions.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My main problem is when I'm stressed or tired, which happens a lot as I don't have the best quality sleep. I tend to eat loads :(.

No device or website is going to help you with that... it's just a matter of self control. How badly do you want it? Bad enough for long term goals to outweigh your short term desires?
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It's actually very simple, calories in must be less than calories expended. A deficit is needed.

As for eating back your exercise calories, I only eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of them...this seems to work for me. You probably need to experiment. If you want to lose, don't eat any of them back at first and then gradually increase the amount you do eat back while still losing. Everyone is different.

I am down 75 pounds (about 5.5 stone???) and have been in maintenance for nearly two years. Add me if you like. I am on daily. I have a bunch of low-cal recipes that are very filling. Not sure how the ingredients will transfer across the big pond tho <g>.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

That is actually something your body does in defense of exhaustion. Carbs mostly...more energy. There is actually a very basic way to lose weight and maybe even get to sleep better. More exercise, not too much mind you or you might do the opposite. Also yoga and tea. Both are great stress relievers and you can see free yoga demonstrations for both stress and insomnia. :)
  • brayman1701
    Options
    Well this week I've ditched drinking so much soda, I was drinking 4 - 5 500ml bottles a day I've stopped doing that and upped the amount of water I drink plus I've started drinking more Tea as well. I've also banned myself from using the lift and I only use the stairs now unless I'm carrying lots of equipment. (I'm the IT guy in a multi storey office so I go up and down the stairs all day). I've downloaded a tonne of music onto my phone so when I feel down, tired or fed up I just stick my head phones on. I've also started walking to the train station from work thats a 40 min walk where as before I used to take the bus or the tube.
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    Well this week I've ditched drinking so much soda, I was drinking 4 - 5 500ml bottles a day I've stopped doing that and upped the amount of water I drink plus I've started drinking more Tea as well. I've also banned myself from using the lift and I only use the stairs now unless I'm carrying lots of equipment. (I'm the IT guy in a multi storey office so I go up and down the stairs all day). I've downloaded a tonne of music onto my phone so when I feel down, tired or fed up I just stick my head phones on. I've also started walking to the train station from work thats a 40 min walk where as before I used to take the bus or the tube.

Well done!! This is exactly what you should be doing! Keep it up and the weight will come off! Be patient and don't give up!
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your'e doing some really good things now (avoid soda; more walking, think of non-food solutions to feeling stressed or tired). Congrats! Those steps already are bound to start showing results over time.

Maybe you don't want any more initiatives quite yet, but if you can find something active that you genuinely like to do: that is a de-stressor as well as a form of exercise. Get you away from all those ID-10T errors at work :smile:
  • brayman1701
    Options
    LOL yes I definitely need to get away from the ID-10T errors. I have linked my fitbit up to mfp now and I've set myself a goal of doing 10,000 steps a day but I usually do 15,000 I've started taking a walk at lunchtimes instead of eating at my desk.

I like using the fitbit as you get a badge whenever you reach a milestone so its like getting a trophy on the ps3 for me lol.
  • knitcandi
    knitcandi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Brisk Walking is a great form of exercise! There was just an article about that on Runners World site. I don't run in the winter so I am using MFP to track my eating so I don't gain back all the weight I lost running this summer. It helps just to be mindful about the calories we put in and the calories we are using.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Start with a SPECIFIC plan of action. Till you get that written down and commit to it, you'll keep winging it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CopperB73
    Options
    Sounds like you, sir, are now marching towards success!
  • brayman1701
    Options
    Start with a SPECIFIC plan of action. Till you get that written down and commit to it, you'll keep winging it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm making my main goal at the moment to stop emotional eating and finding other ways to deal with my problems other than eating. I have been challenged a lot with that lately and I'm getting there. I used to snack from the vending machines at the office a lot but I dont do that anymore. I've made sure when I go to the kitchen I leave my wallet at my desk so even if I'm tempted I cant buy anything then by the time I get back to my desk I've forgotten all about it.

The other goal is to get my butt moving more and make it a habit. I'm researching simple recipes for foods I can cook and bring to work with me as I'm sure learning to cook will help. Those sort of changes make me very anxious at the moment so once they become habit and they are second nature ill start looking at other goals.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I'm making my main goal at the moment to stop emotional eating and finding other ways to deal with my problems other than eating. I have been challenged a lot with that lately and I'm getting there. I used to snack from the vending machines at the office a lot but I dont do that anymore. I've made sure when I go to the kitchen I leave my wallet at my desk so even if I'm tempted I cant buy anything then by the time I get back to my desk I've forgotten all about it.

The other goal is to get my butt moving more and make it a habit. I'm researching simple recipes for foods I can cook and bring to work with me as I'm sure learning to cook will help. Those sort of changes make me very anxious at the moment so once they become habit and they are second nature ill start looking at other goals.

I'm an emotional eater as well and I've just tried to replace what I eat when I'm like that. Baby carrots is my big thing because they are really low calorie and I can eat a lot of them when stressed. Plus the crunch of them helps. My other problem is rich foods. If I'm having a really rough day I crave pasta. So I allow myself one serving. Moderation is key.

And as for eating back calories, that is a personal preference mostly. I don't eat back my calories at all but my fiancee did. Many use it as a reward system. If they want a soda then they have to burn off twice the calories of the soda so that they drink back only half what they burned.

Another recommendation I can make is don't jump in too fast. Make gradual changes. Jumping in too fast is what often leads you to stop entirely. I stopped soda cold turkey and after a few months I was so frustrated I ended up drinking a ton of it and gaining a pound or two back. So now I allow for a soda in my day as long as I have the calories for it. I'll work it out of my daily diet slowly. I was like you and would drink it all day. Now I just drink 1 12oz can a day.

Good luck to you! I've sent you a friend request since we are both computer geeks. We can give each other some support :)
  • brayman1701
    Options

I'm an emotional eater as well and I've just tried to replace what I eat when I'm like that. Baby carrots is my big thing because they are really low calorie and I can eat a lot of them when stressed. Plus the crunch of them helps. My other problem is rich foods. If I'm having a really rough day I crave pasta. So I allow myself one serving. Moderation is key.

And as for eating back calories, that is a personal preference mostly. I don't eat back my calories at all but my fiancee did. Many use it as a reward system. If they want a soda then they have to burn off twice the calories of the soda so that they drink back only half what they burned.

Another recommendation I can make is don't jump in too fast. Make gradual changes. Jumping in too fast is what often leads you to stop entirely. I stopped soda cold turkey and after a few months I was so frustrated I ended up drinking a ton of it and gaining a pound or two back. So now I allow for a soda in my day as long as I have the calories for it. I'll work it out of my daily diet slowly. I was like you and would drink it all day. Now I just drink 1 12oz can a day.

Good luck to you! I've sent you a friend request since we are both computer geeks. We can give each other some support :)

Thats a good idea to snack on carrots at least with something like that it won't set you back :). I'm definitely trying not to jump in too fast and do to much at once. I've decided if I go out with friends I can drink diet coke but not on a day to day basis anymore.
  • CopperB73
    Options
    Glad to see you're still striding forward. Sugar-free gum might be worth a try if you tend to snack when stressed (or, like me, grind your teeth - I did actual dental damage like that in my old job; one of the reasons it's my "old job" now). Almonds are my other snack of choice - with the rule that I have to eat them strictly one by one. I mean strictly - Almond 2 can't go into the mouth until almond 1 has been swallowed completely. It takes so long to eat 12 that you feel full - all for about 100 calories, with a lot of good nutritionals. Of course, this only works because I like almonds! Something else would be better for someone else. You just have to try things that sound sensible until you hit on things which work for you.

Hope the walking is going well. I just wondered since you mentioned liking having goals similar to those in video games: maybe you would l enjoy "walking to Mordor" http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/ (from the oddly named but very entertaining and useful Nerd Fitness). Don't worry, you don't have to put on funny feet and ears!

(added as edit) OR (or indeed, AND) I see there's a "walking challenge right here on My Fitness Pal - walk over to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804852-walking-challenge-too-inspired-to-be-tired-december to see that.

Come to think of it, "Nerd Fitness'" article today about the issues of getting started with exercise/weight loss might be very relevant to you too: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/12/05/why-your-workout-plan-is-failing-you/ (I'm not suggesting this link because I think "your workout plan is failing you" but because it covers common early problems in a helpful but lighthearted way).

Now, after the 3rd edit of this, I really will stop adding more to it...)
  • brayman1701
    Options
    So thought I'd check back in here, I've had a few bumps on the road and gained some and lost some but I'm getting better the fitbit is really helping me and motivating me and I finally feel like its going to work. It hasnt quite sunk in yet that mfp works but im sure it will do soon.