To Eat or Not to Eat? That's my question.

Options
In the morning, I don't like to eat before a workout, I usually just have a coffee but I've heard various different stories on whether it is good or bad for you. Am I doing it the wrong way? And if I should be eating what is the best thing to eat??

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you need the energy to complete your workout, then carry on with what you're doing. I don't have anything before my workouts and feel fine, but some people say they need a boost so a banana is a good pre-workout snack.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Cardio or HIIT while fasted in the morning has been shown to be beneficial for fat loss. If you're talking about weight training, the jury is still out. Most people find they don't like working out on a full stomach (myself included), so if you don't have time to digest the food, you might want to wait until after the workout.

For me, I tend to do cardio and HIIT in the morning in a fasted state. I do weight training in the afternoon, 1 - 2 hours after my lunch meal. In both cases, I make sure I get some food in me right after the workout (mostly protein after weight training, balanced macros after cardio/HIIT).
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The wrong way is the way that makes you feel uncomfortable or sick.

If you feel good having a cup of joe or nothing at all in the morning before working out, do that.

Tried to find an article, am having trouble. Will post again if I find it.
  • y4k4m4n
    y4k4m4n Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It depends on your goals.

If you want to lose fat, some exercise (cardio or low intensity fitness) on an empty stomach is a good thing.
    But don't do anything too hard, keep your heavy workouts for when you have eaten some carbs, otherwise your performance will be subpar.

If you just look to tone your muscles, I think you shouldn't do anything on an empty stomach.

As to what to eat, whatever you like, just the usual recommendations you probably read about already (no processed food, no white bread or such but oats, some protein (eggs but mostly eggwhites), low fat dairy products, fruit...
  • nstreete
    nstreete Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I would only eat before a mornings workout if I were hungry. Maybe have a banana before if you think you need the fuel. It really depends on the intensity of your workout. If its more than 30 mins high intensity cardio it is probably best that you have something light. But for 30 mins or less - eat afterwards.

I mostly workout in the evening 1 hr+ HIIT and I go to bed without eating (which possibly isn't the best) and if I work out in the morning I still wont eat before a workout.

And although at first I gained muscle weight - my body is tighter, and I feel great. Trust your body to tell you what you need.

Good luck!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do my weight training first thing in the morning. What I have noticed is that when I eat a fairly large meal (450 to 600 kcal) my energy level during the workout is lower compared to when I consume a small meal (100 to 300 kcal).
    For me personally a meal of 250 kcal (30 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, little to no fat) is perfect for my strength and endurance.
    What I do is:
    - 50 grams of whole wheat pancake mix
    - 1 scoop of whey protein
    - Water.
    Combine dry ingredients, add water until it becomes a thick batter. Stir out all clumps.
    Put in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
    Optional top it with slices of banana (half a banana will do) or Walden Farms.

It might not look very appetizing, but it fills me up good enough to last a workout
    IMG_20131112_061240.jpg
  • lyonzimmer78
    Options
    thanks very much for all your replies :)

i'm looking to lose fat so it seems the verdict is to do what makes me feel most comfortable, i reckon a banana or yoghurt might do me then fill up afterwards.

x
  • popflying
    Options
    Yogurt is awesome before a workout (doesn't upset my stomach), but usually I just go without. I sometimes bring along a banana or brownie or something just in case I do get hungry or lightheaded while I'm out.