Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    **** no.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    $7.75hr but you would have to make a 64 mile roundtrip??

Its really depends on your current situation
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    what do you make at the moment?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I have spent too many years in school for that. Also, it just doesn't seem feasible with the high gas prices.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    No way in hell!
  • latewinter
    Options
    seen as i have no car then no i certainly would not because the bus fare would be twice as much as i would actually earn
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Minimum wage is $10.25 here...
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    $7.75hr but you would have to make a 64 mile roundtrip??

DO you need it to Support your family?, Is there a chance for advancement? Is it an oppurtunity to learn from a "Master in the field" if so, yes, if not, Nope!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

This is the only acceptable response I've seen thus far. If you can get a similar job with a similar wage closer to home, then get one. If you can't, don't be part of the lazy, selfish, unambitious masses who think it's cool to live on government assistance like you have some divine right not to have to flip burgers for a paycheck.

I couldn't even begin to calculate all the hours I spent working for FREE when I was in college. And I had no shortage of full-time job offers when I graduated.

Some humility and a little bit of work ethic will get you a lot farther than stubbornly insisting you are too good to work for minimum wage, and I say that more for the people responding in this thread than for the OP.

Well this statement is presumptuous and does not apply to everyone. I worked my butt off in menial jobs and unpaid internships as well earning the degrees to get where I am. So, work ethic is not an issue for me. No one said anything about being lazy or living off of government assistance, and no one said that they were too good for anything. You assumed that. This type of pay wouldn't put a dent in my student loans, so I found one that will. You seem to be taking this a bit personally. If you chose to turn down paying jobs, then kudos to you. I don't understand it, but everyone is dealing with their own situation, and it isn't your place to judge based on such little information.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My first job was at a roller coaster park 60 miles from my house. I was paid minimum wage ($7.25).

They were the only place that called back.

If you need the job, do it. But know that depending on where you're driving (thankfully mine was mostly empty highway, 70 mph speed limit) you're going to come to hate it - fast. So keep your eyes and ears open for something closer.
  • Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are serious with your question and have to ask random people on a fitness website, maybe you should take the job.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

This is the only acceptable response I've seen thus far. If you can get a similar job with a similar wage closer to home, then get one. If you can't, don't be part of the lazy, selfish, unambitious masses who think it's cool to live on government assistance like you have some divine right not to have to flip burgers for a paycheck.

I couldn't even begin to calculate all the hours I spent working for FREE when I was in college. And I had no shortage of full-time job offers when I graduated.

Some humility and a little bit of work ethic will get you a lot farther than stubbornly insisting you are too good to work for minimum wage, and I say that more for the people responding in this thread than for the OP.

unemployment insurance is something we pay into. it's called insurance for a reason.

I used to think it was beneath me to take it... but the reality is I worked many hard long hours contributing to that fund. I love working- I'd never CHOSE to sit on my *kitten* collecting government money- but I'm sure not going to take a job I have to PAY to go to work for at 7.something an hour.... and when I was in construction- I worked 3 seasons and the winter seaons was pretty much part time- yup- I collected. no shred of guilt in me for it.

You gotta pick your battles- that one I'd stay at home and collect and find something else. ALthough I agree- there is nothing worse than people who think they can't work minimum wage.

One of my part time jobs paid 12$ an hour- and it was 30 minute blocks of time. Seriously- it was a joke- but I liked doing it.

I've applied to a lot of work in my time JUST to make ends meet- but someone on unemployment isn't necessary lazy.

I make a very good living and my weekly contribution to NYS SUI (state unemployment insurance) is $0.60. Sorry, but it will take a damn long time for that piddly payroll deduction to cover even a week of unemployment. And FUTA (federal unemployment) is fully paid by your employer, you contribute nothing.

I agree that unemployment is there for a reason, you should use it if you need it to get back on your feet. What bugs me is the attitude that it's there to perpetuate a life style that you can no longer afford. I'm not directing this at you, as it seems like we essentially agree that you do what you need to do to make ends meet.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I was unemployed, SURE! $7.75 is BETTER than $0.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    No. If I had to take that job, I'd move closer. You'd eat up too much of the pay on transportation costs. Unless maybe there was a cheap train or something I could take that would have minimal cost.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Right now? Hell no. But then again I've invested a lot of time and effort into my career to get to a position where I'm earning a heck of a lot more than that.

If I lost my job tomorrow and this was the only option to keep a roof over my family's head and food in their bellies? Yes, in a heart beat. I'd then start working my *kitten* off to do it all over again, and you can bet that in ten years I'd be a district or regional manager (assuming this is a fast food joint we are talking about) pulling down a decent wage again.

Life kicks you in the teeth, you kick right back.

^This.

If you had to, you should be willing to claw and scratch and bleed for enough money to look after yourself and your family.

If this is your only option right now OP, then take it. Make it work short term until you can get something better. You're more likely to get another, better, job if you're currently employed. Or take it and work the *kitten* out of it and progress to better hours/better pay in the same place.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the only viable alternative here.....is crime.

OP - When you start your home invasions PM me and let me know what selection criteria you use for your target homes. I just need to know if I need to mark my house with lambs blood etc. for you to pass. Thanks!
  • onewaybadtrip
    Options
    yes if they payd my gas
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    If you are serious with your question and have to ask random people on a fitness website, maybe you should take the job.

Good Point
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    No offense but what are the qualifications of OP?
    OP might not be able to get a job that pays more than minimum wage.
    Has anyone thought of that?
    If OP is being offered minimum wage, it is for a reason.

associate degree in Computer Science
    Bachelor of science in Dietetics
  • rosemary98
    Options
    No offense but what are the qualifications of OP?
    OP might not be able to get a job that pays more than minimum wage.
    Has anyone thought of that?
    If OP is being offered minimum wage, it is for a reason.

associate degree in Computer Science
    Bachelor of science in Dietetics

computer science...can't you get a tech support job at a company that pays reasonably well? Also, not sure if you said what the job was, but if it offered upward mobility or is an apprenticeship of somesort...yes, consider it. but as so many others have pointed out...isn't there a similarly paying job close to home? grocery teller, hotel worker, restaurant worker...