How to log Christmas Shopping

Options
I know this may seem totally silly, however, I plan on doing some serious shopping tomorrow. Probably at least 6 + hours worth of shopping ( we have a babysitter so I need to take advantage lol). I want to log this, but, I am unsure as to how to log it. Since I don't have a fitbit to accurately record exactly how much activity occurs during the time I shop my plan was to basically log 3-4 hours of the slowest walking speed option on here ( if I do shop 6 hours). I figured if I reduce the time I am on my feet by 2-3 hours, that will account for the periods in the car and where I am actually standing as opposed to moving. I need opinions of how accurate you think this will be?? Also, any other suggestions you think would be better for logging are welcomed.

Replies

• mundaetraversa
    Options
    I had this same issue! I was holiday shopping yesterday for quite a while. I ended up using an app I already had - Charity Miles. It's available for iPhone or Android, if you have one of those. Each mile your walk (or run, or bike) generates a donation to a charity you choose from a long list. You can pause the app while you're driving, and it uses GPS to record your mileage. I assume 100 calories per mile. Just another idea! Happy holidays!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly...don't log it. It is one day. Enjoy the extra calorie you might burn for tomorrow, but don't log it. If anything, shift your activity level up to lightly active.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Every day things like cleaning/shopping/etc I never log. I don't consider daily activities exercise. I'm not an idiot--I realize they burn calories. I just figure in a course of a week these are all factored into my TDEE. The only exercise I log is when I actually am doing something intentionally fitness related. I don't know if this helps or not. Probably not :-(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, any other suggestions you think would be better for logging are welcomed.

Why bother, it's one day and probably nets off over the course of a week anyway.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a bonus and not log it.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well you are probably going to eat more then your share of calories during the holiday season. Just let this be and hope that it can help counter balance the extra food :)
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm also headed out of town this weekend to Christmas shop with my sisters and I don't plan to log my walking or my food. I know I won't eat as healthy as I usually do, and I'm sure I'll have a few drinks with them tomorrow night. I'm also positive that all the walking over the next two days will cancel out my unhealthy choices. I vote to just not worry about it and have fun shopping!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Don't log shopping unless you are on a treadmill with a tablet and wearing your HRM.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Don't ... consider that a balance to the slightly off foodscale or the extra chip or taste of something you had. or increased deficit
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't log every day, normal activities.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't log this.

An hour of running and sweating at the gym, lifting serious weights - log that.

Walking around is already included in your BMR on this site. If you MUST eat more at the end of the day, log a half hour of extra walking. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to log shopping, vacuuming the house, sitting on the couch, etc as exercise.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i log everything. but i am also disabled and wouldnt get up to do any housework if i wasnt logging it. if i did 4 hours of walking around a store, i would log it as 3 hours of walking. i also log everything i eat.
  • Ablange
    Ablange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okie dokie. Not logging. Thanks for the input everyone.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't log it..
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It absolutely is exercise but i wouldnt log it either. If i did, i would use half the time at the slowest speed.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. If you are especially hungry that evening, eat a little extra. JMO
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Log it or not, it doesn't really matter as the net calorie burn will be too small to be noticeable anyway, so there's nothing to eat back anyway.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What would the purpose of logging it be? If it's to gain more to eat then no. If it's to impress your friends list, they probably don't care.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would never!! I only log exercise as exercise. No shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc! My exercise makes me sweat and sore!!!