When is it too late to eat dinner?

Options
So, I have talked to a few people about when it's too late to eat dinner and so I thought I would ask everyone on here. The problem is that I take fitness classes which are usually at 6:30 or 7 and last an hour, so I'm not getting home til about 8. Is that too late? Will it hurt me if I'm eating that late? Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    8 is not too late, that is about the time I eat my evening meal, as I eat 6 times a day.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I ate around that time or later every evening while doing weight watchers as I didn't finish work until 7. Never seemed to affect my weight loss at all.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My commute is about an hour so I often don't get to eat until 8 as well. I think it's an issue for your body- if you feel bloaty before bed or when you get up, its too late. If you feel fine, you're good.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    NEVAH!!!

truely, if you are staying in your calorie range, when you eat plays less havok thatn WHAT you eat. So, eat when you want to. Now, some people may have a harder time sleeping and such if they eat too late. But that's a different support board all together. :)
  • kridean
    Options
    I can't eat one bite of anything after 4pm. Even if I'm under my total food goal, and have a rice cake I'll gain 1-3 lbs overnight. It's the weirdest thing ever. No one ever believes me, but my mom is the same way. It's just all about you I guess.
  • blonde1030
    blonde1030 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard to stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. When I did that it made the weight come off faster :)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    NEVAH!!!

truely, if you are staying in your calorie range, when you eat plays less havok thatn WHAT you eat. So, eat when you want to. Now, some people may have a harder time sleeping and such if they eat too late. But that's a different support board all together. :)

This ... Honestly my neighbor swears to me up and down "don't eat after 4pm" dude that is IMPOSSIBLE for me I am still working at 4pm ... I sometimes don't get done working out until LATE and I eat dinner AFTER my workout so ... there you have it ...Also, you have to consider some people work night shift or swing shift and if they listened to the fallacy of eating after a certain time they would starve LOL.

Tonight I won't get done with my workout until 8 pm or so ... which means I am not eating until at least 8:20 (have the meal cooked but have to warm it up) and that may include having a snack after. I won't go to bed though till about 11:30 as it's harder for me to fall asleep with a full stomach. :)
  • shoegirl2
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the individual. I try to eat my largest meal at lunch, so when I get home later after a work out, I just eat cereal or have a protein drink, soup or yogurt with grapnuts. This way I'm not starving and am consuming only about 200 calories.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters. I have eaten as late as 9PM depending on my schedule. As long as you stay within your calories and exercise time of day shouldn't be a problem. At least it's not for me.

100892.png

Lana
  • Allegra289
    Options
    I don't really think it matters when you eat, just what you eat and how much. I am in Spain for the semester, and some people don't eat dinner until as late as 11pm here....and they are some of the healthiest people because of their Mediterranean diet. I would just recommend eating something light, and eating most of your calories during the day when you need the energy from them!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Honestly my neighbor swears to me up and down "don't eat after 4pm"
    That would destroy me. We eat dinner around 5:30ish as that's when hubbys home and ready to eat but I have to have something small about an hour before going to bed othewise I wake up at daft o clock feeling sick with hunger. Usually go to bed around midnight so a snack around 11 works for me.
  • Madre2
    Madre2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, I have talked to a few people about when it's too late to eat dinner and so I thought I would ask everyone on here. The problem is that I take fitness classes which are usually at 6:30 or 7 and last an hour, so I'm not getting home til about 8. Is that too late? Will it hurt me if I'm eating that late? Thanks for the help!!

I've always heard that you should stop eating completely at least one hour before bedtime.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie goal. Eat when your schedule dictates. You'll be fine.

If you're a professional athlete it might matter, but not for what you're trying to do.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not eating later in the day causing metabolism issues is a popular myth. Just watch your calories for the day and you'll be fine...
  • djscardi
    djscardi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! It was so relieving to hear that it didn't really matter, esp since my schedule changes so much! Definitely appreciate it!
  • Shonaari
    Shonaari Posts: 3
    Options
    Doesnt matter how late you eat, a calorie is a calorie. General rule of thumb is to eat dinner at least 3 hours before going to bed
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You've reached the point of no return once you've fallen asleep.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It is too late to eat dinner when you fall asleep. It is hard to chew when you are asleep. Other than that doesn't matter. I usually eat dinner around 11pm.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I think it's too late to eat dinner, if it's time for breakfast. And even that can be negotiable.

meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When your'e asleep?