Words that make you cringe...

Options

Replies

• pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    *kitten*, that's the only word that makes me cringe but blech!! :sick:

I hate it when people say "preggers" instead of pregnant.

My fiance hates the word "cherubic"
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The mispronunciation of the word nuclear, it drives me insane when people say "nucular.."

The moist thing amazes me. I thought it was hilarious on the show Dead Like Me when the mom had a meltdown every time she heard the word.

I think Webster is going to eventually say that either pronunciation is correct (I seem to remember reading that somewhere). Anyhoos:

Usage Discussion of NUCLEAR
    Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \-kyə-lər\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president. While most common in the United States, these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear

I realize language is a living and changing thing, but "nucular" just sounds wrong and uneducated to me. Perhaps it is my dislike for certain politicians (former president and one particular vice presidential candidate) who use that pronunciation that makes it so annoying to me.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Pop.
    Like when someone says the pallete is neutral with pops of color.
    Or, do this with your makeup and it will make your eyes pop.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Glitch .......
    and definitely UVULA (the name of that little bean that hangs in the back of your throat!) EWWW!
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    'yous' as in the plural of 'you'. It's really common in Liverpool where I'm from. I always think of sheep when I hear it :laugh:
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    anyways

The word is 'anyway'. A.N.Y.W.A.Y.

OK, now I've got to go take a Xanax.

Oh this gets me EVERY time - hate hate hate it!!!!!!!!
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    puss
    maggots
    slugs
    vagina , but its most slang words that relate to it that really make me cringe :tongue:
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Any time I hear someone say "Appalachian" and pronounce it "Appa-lay-shun" it drives me BONKERS and I definitely cringe. I'm from the Appalachian mountains and it is definitely DEFINITELY "Appa-latch-un." I was told once it's a "matter of where you're from in how you pronounce it." No...no it's not. This isn't a "po-tay-to, po-tah-to" situation, the name of the mountains is what it is!

Sorry just absolutely gets me riled up, this post from me could also go in the "What makes you disproportionately angry" thread.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    6 pages and no one has mentioned "pacific" vs. "specific"....I am surprised. Watching Duck Dynasty last night reminded me of that one. Leave it to Si, haha.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    kardashians

1 Direction

Jersey shore

...oh wait im listing people with no talent...wrong post?

Bieber...you forgot Bieber.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    moist
    napkin... I don't know why, I just hate that word.
    booger -- without a doubt the grossest word EVER.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fixen (instead of about) I'm fixen to go to.... :noway:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Slacks. They're pants damn it!

What gets me, is they come in pairs; really? A pair of pants;
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Inconceivable...I do not think it means what you think it means... :wink: :laugh:

Anyone who did NOT get that, should NEVER send me an FR. :huh:

LMAO!!!!!!!!
  • deanronaldhayes
    Options
    Mung (urban dictionary).
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ax instead of Ask....I hate that

This is definitely important. do they *really* want to ax someone...? because, seriously - it's murder.

Leela from Futurama uses that word.
  • alienaliens
    Options
    Free Gift.
    exact same
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Why do so many woman hate the C word? They don't have a problem with the B word. As long as it's not directed at me, I don't care and I don't see why so many woman get upset at the mere mention of the word. The P word is okay to some but even hint that you might say the C word and they are ready to throw down even if it's not directed at them!

Because it's an ugly word that describes a beautiful part of the female anatomy.

it's a great word.

And vagina's are not beautiful. butt's are beautiful. But vagina's are not- they are weird. seriously.

and the C word is great- no issues using it. If every other word used to describe a vagina is okay- so is the C one. I use all interchangeably.

No one has answered the issue with the word moist yet. Seriously- people are really skeeved out by this word and I don't understand why. It's a word describing moisture content. Maybe my years working in a construction dealing with moisture contents has numbed me to the potential weirdness of it.

Moist moist moist fine to me.

I hate anyone who says FRO-YO.

sounds like hair in my delicious cold dessert. NOFCKINGTHANKYOU

preppy wanna be valley girls.

Vacay- that drives me nuts too. what's the point of that word. You're seriously so lazy you cannot add the last few letters on to that?

What have we become!!!!!
  • alienaliens
    Options
    Vagina...because seriously it sounds like a disease.... I've got a bad case of the vagines....

It's my ***** thanks very much!

It' not as bad as people who use the "P" word for it. Makes me want to vomit.