gift ideas for kids that have everything

Options
I saw a post below for ideas for parents who have everything...(which I think is easier because there are always gift cards)...but what about little kids?

Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Having this same issue with the little kids in my family. I plan to get them a gift membership to our local Science Center. Do you have anything like that? Or a season pass to an amusement park? Just be sure the parents/caregivers are willing/able to take them to this cool new thing several times during the next year or your gift will go to waste.
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    My kids don't have everything but what they ask for all the time is dates with me:-) So I will make them little gift coupon cards and I will take them out on a few extra dates where ever they want to go.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am trying to encourage the grandparents to add to my son's college fund when they want to give him something.

I know it is not an exciting gift but he has more than he needs and he doesn't really ask for many particular toys.

He is 3 1/2, the one thing he asked for is a camelbak back pack of his own. We live in Florida so whenever we go anywhere I fill up mine and we drink out of it all day.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the age of the kids but experiences and activities are fun gifts. For teens I like to do movie tickets because those are always appreciated. There are also art, cake decorating, jewelry making or sewing classes at local craft stores and many of those have classes geared toward younger kids. Memberships to museums, the zoo or aquarium are good if you or the parents are willing to take them. Dates with them are a good gift because as someone else said, time spent with them is the best. I decorate cakes so having a kid over to learn some cake decorating was one thing I did and it was a really big hit.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Having this same issue with the little kids in my family. I plan to get them a gift membership to our local Science Center. Do you have anything like that? Or a season pass to an amusement park? Just be sure the parents/caregivers are willing/able to take them to this cool new thing several times during the next year or your gift will go to waste.

we did get a pass to the Science Museum...but not as a christmas gift. I think the problem is that I don't feel like I have a say. They are my step-children. In a different situation, I would say "we all have enough this year, let's plan a fun evening together playing games." Or, next weekend, let's go shopping for a pretty dress and go out for dinner. That, just won't cut it in this situation. There has to be "stuff" involved. Just to give you an idea...the 8 year old got a laptop from Santa last year.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There has to be "stuff" involved.

Well, that's unfortunate. I'm assuming the other parent was responsible for the laptop? Well, you can only do what you can only do. Kids need to learn that life is not "fair" and it's not going to be all about them all the time. We say that, but when do we ever actively teach them this lesson? Sometimes the most loving thing you can do is say "no" to them. I'd really try to figure out a way to give them experiences, and not so much stuff. Shoot, if it's stuff, then why not just go to Goodwill and stuff a bag full of "stuff" ??

Can you swing a weekend outing for them? Like a mini road trip to someplace cool? Then wrap up the tickets to this place? I'm not talking Disney World, but for example, we live just outside St. Louis. One year, over Labor Day, we just got in the car and drove to Kansas City (4 hrs away) and stayed the weekend and did cool Kansas City stuff.

In my experience as a parent, and an auntie, kids will remember time spent with them way more than any stuff you gave them. And with digital photography, you could even have a little scrapbook printed up with all the pictures you took during your weekend. Then, they'd have a constant reminder of what a great time they had with you.

Good luck, we're in the same sort of boat. If you think about it, let us all know what you end up doing. :)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My kids don't have everything but what they ask for all the time is dates with me:-) So I will make them little gift coupon cards and I will take them out on a few extra dates where ever they want to go.

Ahhhh....PERFECT IDEA!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A trip to volunteer at a soup kitchen or handing out toys to those who don't "have everything".
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    How about a book? Or a day at the Food Bank to help those that don't have everything?