lost 60 lbs eating junk

Options

Replies

• nmiller0813
    Options
    I don't know how old you are, but what I can say that eating junk food will not be good for your body, your weight and your health when you get older.

It most definitely will affect your health. So, be careful!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    everyone is doing a great job...keep it up:)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight doing that my body fat stayed at 30% ,but I lost weight (lean muscle).....So years down the road decided to try and eat healthier ....I only lost 8lbs over a few months but my body fat went from 30%-24% so that 8 lbs I lost was pure body fat...Thats the difference..I am 158lbs and 24%body fat there is other people that weigh less and have higher or same body fat as me.....

just to clarify, are you saying your choice in foods alone reduced your body fat %?

Well I did something right ?because I lowered it that fast in 2 months.I ate well and worked out.I sure didn't eat fast food everyday or junk often.I doubt you can lower bodyfat with no exercise and just diet

my point is that I am fairly certain that your exercise and caloric deficit had more to do with your reduction in body fat % than your choice in foods.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Can't ever imagine eating junk all the time, Would end up eating far less due to the amount of cals and then I would still be hungry.

You enjoy your junk food, I'll eat it in moderation and not have a food disorder to worry about or the fact I'm spiking insulin levels all day long.
  • arc8706
    Options
    I see all the health police are in this thread.

I probably eat more junk than I should and I'm trying to find a balance for myself, that said my younger sister eats fast food 5x/week and NEVER eats a single vegetable, eats packaged and frozen crap at home, and the last time she had blood work done the doctor said she was the healthiest person for her age group that he has seen in years, everything came back perfect. He asked her about her diet because he THOUGHT she was eating healthy and wanted to know what she did to have such great numbers. I think probably the food she eats most often, I'm talking every day, are breaded chicken tenders (fried if she eats out and baked in the oven at home), and then some barbecue/ranch dipping sauce.

I think she is an anomaly (she gets tons of exercise and is crazy strong from working with horses all day), but I can see how a person can survive on "junk" and actually be healthy according to their doctor. Definitely not for everyone, but it isn't a sure thing that if you eat junk you are going to drop dead any second..
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Although I don't recomend giving up healthy food, I will add that for the past two nights I have pigged out on simple carbs...ok, M&M's. Like a ton of them. I was down two pounds this morning and my stomach was flatter than it has been in a long time. The healthy stuff bloats me.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For most of us it's not just about losing weight, it's about getting fit and healthy. To each his own.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So unhealthy. As you lose weight, the amount of calories you can consume and still lose weight will become less and less. Eating all that junk, you are going to burn through your allotted calories for the day, and you will end up overeating because you will still be hungry. I would suggest trying to eat healthier now before you sabotage all of what you have lost so far. You need to fuel your body. Eating junk is only going to hinder you.

Making assumptions based on somebody who you don't know... smells like BS to me. Eat whatever the F&$* you want in a deficit to lose weight. It's literally that easy. Is it the best way to do it? No, but that also isn't the point. Quit shaming someone who found a way to stay sane while losing weight.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So unhealthy. As you lose weight, the amount of calories you can consume and still lose weight will become less and less. Eating all that junk, you are going to burn through your allotted calories for the day, and you will end up overeating because you will still be hungry. I would suggest trying to eat healthier now before you sabotage all of what you have lost so far. You need to fuel your body. Eating junk is only going to hinder you.

Making assumptions based on somebody who you don't know... smells like BS to me. Eat whatever the F&$* you want in a deficit to lose weight. It's literally that easy. Is it the best way to do it? No, but that also isn't the point. Quit shaming someone who found a way to stay sane while losing weight.
    Giving advide is shaming now?
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    For most of us it's not just about losing weight, it's about getting fit and healthy. To each his own.

Exactly
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    That does work...if you don't mind not changing your actual body fat%

say what? I recommend doing some more research and coming back once you have a better understanding of the subjects you speak of. :flowerforyou:

OP, congrats, you've discovered the secret to weight loss! the secret is that there is no secret!

what are you talking about?I went from 30% body fat to 24% eating healthy WTF are you talking about ..I don't know what I'm talking about?...anyone can loose weight by not eating too,but I wouldn't recommend it.
    I went from 25% BF to 15% eating whatever...

Good for you!:flowerforyou: bet you're cholesterol rocks!
    My cholesterol is low. My BP is low. My glucose is normal. Any other tests???

Unlike you Ammuuuuuricans, Canadians actually go to the flipping doctor and go for blood work.

lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That does work...if you don't mind not changing your actual body fat%

say what? I recommend doing some more research and coming back once you have a better understanding of the subjects you speak of. :flowerforyou:

OP, congrats, you've discovered the secret to weight loss! the secret is that there is no secret!

Yeah, I'm not sure how you lose 60 pounds without changing your BF%.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My TDEE hasn't changed after losing 70 pounds.
  • rijhip
    rijhip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was like the original poster; eat the same food, but less of it. I did well for breakfast and lunch, but dinner was sometimes burger, pizza, french fries. I lost around 35 pounds. I could lose another 10, but not too worried about it. You have to look at this as a marathon and not a 40 yard sprint. If you change so drastically, you may not be able to maintain it for life.

Lately I've been doing some research to help my wife with her goals. I read New Rules for Lifting for Women. I really like what he says about Nutrition. "you can't vote for something and vote against it" i.e You can't build muscle if your not feeding the the muscle. Since reading the book, I have upped my calories mainly through protein and my stubborn last 10 pounds seems to be coming off. A 30 fat /30 protein /40 carb split is what I'm working for. I feel like I'm eating like a pig and the weight is still coming off.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Calorie deficit daily, with relatively reasonable macronutrients eating any foods will = loss of weight. And this will be a good health effect.

Healthier foods can/will have other positive effects though, depending on what your individual stressors/health conditions/sensitivities/genetic makeup/environmental conditions, they can make an absolutely HUGE or little difference.

What is "healthier" is also dependent on so many factors its hard to define and can be different for different situations for everyone, and countless people on here will try to argue with you and tell you it doesn't matter "scientifically" because they (unscientifically) had x result not y result or because they Google'd z study. Both from the individual circumstance point of view and the argumentative "wannabe scientists", I've found there is little point arguing about health and food here. :)

But weight loss down from obesity WILL help your health, even on "junk", great job OP!
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit daily, with relatively reasonable macronutrients eating any foods will = loss of weight. And this will be a good health effect.

Healthier foods can/will have other positive effects though, depending on what your individual stressors/health conditions/sensitivities/genetic makeup/environmental conditions, they can make an absolutely HUGE or little difference.

What is "healthier" is also dependent on so many factors its hard to define and can be different for different situations for everyone, and countless people on here will try to argue with you and tell you it doesn't matter "scientifically" because they (unscientifically) had x result not y result or because they Google'd z study. Both from the individual circumstance point of view and the argumentative "wannabe scientists", I've found there is little point arguing about health and food here. :)

But weight loss down from obesity WILL help your health, even on "junk", great job OP!

this is well said and oh so true :smile:
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I totally agree....i dont know why people make it so hard for themselves

What a misguided comment. When I eat junk, I feel like crap, whether or not I lose weight. I gave up refined sugar and fried foods because I like having energy and not feeling sluggish, bloated, and just generally sick. Yes, I still get cravings for chips and cakes and when I eat them, I pay the price and remember why I gave them up in the first place. Perhaps if your ONLY goal is to lose weight then that's fine, but it really seems like a no brainer to me...

Definitely agreeing!

Also, there is the matter of combating/preventing disease that the grease/sugar/etc in fast food and/or junk food have.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    First, Im still fat and have much more weight to lose...BUT, let me say that after years of trying different things....only ONE has ever worked and it's what I'm doing now. I eat ANYTHING I want. I just stay under a certain amount of calories.

I have eaten super healthy before and didnt lose any weight because my calories were too high. For me, eating whatever i want (fast food, snacks, whatever) and just watching my calories is doing the trick. Simple.

Just sharing my experience:)

Congratulations on the 60 lb weight loss.

I don't eat any junk food but it's mostly because I really, really care about my insides.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you take a daily multivitamin. Eating nothing but junk, there's no way you're getting your micronutrients and minerals. Diseases from vitamin deficiencies are nasty, nasty things...take it from someone who has worked in developing countries for 20 years.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm an American and I go to the doctor and my most recent blood work was perfect. I lost all my weight eating a variety of "clean foods" and "junk" with plenty of booze and tons of water to wash it down. You can't tell me that my body fat % is the same at 145 pounds (5'9") as it was at 278 pounds.

OP, if ALL you're eating is junk, try throwing in some veggies here and there. I haven't tried to access your diary, so I don't know, but I suspect you're getting variety even if you're eating things others consider junk. WTG on your loss!

ETA: Tried to access your diary and it's private, and I see this is your first post, so it might be a troll post, or it might not. Regardless, I stand behind my comments.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!