Do ALL teas count as water ?

Options
I drink a LOT of chai tea lattes. Yes, this is a serious question.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Any liquid "counts" as water. Tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk, soup, etc. Most food you eat contains water as well. An apple is 85% water. Tracking fluid intake is really pointless. If your urine is pale yellow then you're hydrated. It's that simple.
  • hymescs
    hymescs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So I guess what I want to know is, are asking so you can track your fluid intake or are you asking because you want know if you should count it against caloric intake? Like Mokey41 said, yeah - technically, tea is a fluid, and thus can be counted as water, but teas do have calories, and chai lattes tend to be the most caloric tea depending on what you put in it (aka how much milk/sugar).
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Chai latte's are known to be very high in sugar and calories. Especially the one's made at Starbucks. I'm not sure if you can make them at home ( I drink black tea without sugar)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would count it as water but you also better be counting those calories. I love Chai Tea Lattes but far too many calories for me!
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Any liquid "counts" as water. Tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk, soup, etc. Most food you eat contains water as well. An apple is 85% water. Tracking fluid intake is really pointless. If your urine is pale yellow then you're hydrated. It's that simple.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    log it as water

also log the calories in it
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of tea also...and even though it "counts" as water I don't count it because I usually add honey or agave nectar or almond milk to it. And while it may be "pointless" to track water intake, I like to track the actual plain water I drink daily :smile:!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chai latte's are known to be very high in sugar and calories. Especially the one's made at Starbucks. I'm not sure if you can make them at home ( I drink black tea without sugar)

My "skinny" chai latte is Stash Chai or Bigelow Chai with milk & sugar added. I had a Starbucks one (once) OMG was that sweet. Making my own allows me to use skim milk & (way) less sugar.

Yes - tea counts as water. Try to cut back on the sugar if you can.......maintenance will be a b*tch with lots of sugar.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So long as your pee looks like watered down lemonade, you're fine.

I'm assuming you're referring to hydration, but as others have said, log the calories.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

No, it does not...............

Other liquids are just other fluids but they are no longer water.

We should be drinking at least 64 ounces of pure water per day in addition to what other fluids we are intaking.

All of these comments are so misguided. Ugh.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For me, I only count actual plain water as my water intake. I don't consider tea, coffee or even flavored enhanced water in my diary as water intake.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    log it as water

also log the calories in it

This
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    For me, I only count actual plain water as my water intake. I don't consider tea, coffee or even flavored enhanced water in my diary as water intake.

Thank you...............someone else that exhibits some common sense.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So I guess what I want to know is, are asking so you can track your fluid intake or are you asking because you want know if you should count it against caloric intake? Like Mokey41 said, yeah - technically, tea is a fluid, and thus can be counted as water, but teas do have calories, and chai lattes tend to be the most caloric tea depending on what you put in it (aka how much milk/sugar).
    In simple terms, you can check a "water" but count the calories, also.
  • rml_16
    Options

That ... is the opposite of common sense.
  • rml_16
    Options

So when I pour 8 oz of boiling water in a mug and add something to it, what does the water "become"?

Is it OK for me to drink a glass of water and then eat a tea bag or does it cease to be water if I do that?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

We should be drinking at least 64 ounces of pure water per day in addition to what other fluids we are intaking.

Do you drink that much distilled water? Even distillation does not remove everything which is not dihydrogen monoxide.

*edited for chemistry fail* ;)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

That ... is the opposite of common sense.

Anyone with some common sense knows that beverages other than water are NOT water and should not be treated as such.

I will not debate with anyone. Ask a Dr, dietician, nutritionist, etc. They will all tell you the same. I see a registered dietician and that is the very first thing she told me. Coffee, tea, soda and juice are NOT water. Do not count them.

Water is water. Period. She said exercise a little common sense.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

So when I pour 8 oz of boiling water in a mug and add something to it, what does the water "become"?

Is it OK for me to drink a glass of water and then eat a tea bag or does it cease to be water if I do that?

Depends whether you have one of those special automatic "water only" sections in your stomach.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Water + a tea bag is tea. You are not that narrow minded.